The Apollo 11 Saturn V rocket by LEGO Ideas users saabfan and whatsuptoday been confirmed, and is being released as 21309 NASA Apollo Saturn V! Full details in this Ideas blog post.

1 meter tall (over 39 inches) (!!!)

1969 pieces (we see what you did there, LEGO! :wub: )

USD 119.99 / EURO 119.99 / GPB 109.99 (wow, amazingly inexpensive, all things considered)

Available June 1st, 2017

image_4.jpeg

image_3.jpegimage_1.jpegimage_5.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

Original Ideas submission image:

image.jpg1_10.jpg

Announcement video:

Edited by Blondie-Wan
Adding final info

I am surprised they picked (and got the license for) the Yellow Submarine.

I will be picking up the Saturn V, I already have set 7468

Edited by pirzyk

A shame, I was really hoping the Beagle would get through. Not really interested in these other sets.

From the next review I predict we'll get Johnny 5 and Particle Accelerator... but I think the one I'd want the most is the Old Fishing Store.

I'm excited by this news. I'd forgotten how big the submitted Ideas Saturn V was. I suppose it will be scaled down a bit for the product's release.

Although I'm not a huge Beatles fan, I know many who are so I suppose it will be a unique gift (built, I bet)!

A shame, I was really hoping the Beagle would get through. Not really interested in these other sets.

From the next review I predict we'll get Johnny 5 and Particle Accelerator... but I think the one I'd want the most is the Old Fishing Store.

I'm excited by this news. I'd forgotten how big the submitted Ideas Saturn V was. I suppose it will be scaled down a bit for the product's release.

Although I'm not a huge Beatles fan, I know many who are so I suppose it will be a unique gift (built, I bet)!

I love the H.M.S. Beagle as well, but it was always a long shot; it would have been much larger and more expensive than they're willing to do in Ideas just yet, especially with so many minifigures. It's still too bad, though.

That said, I think both of these will be great. I actually think the Saturn V will in fact be close to the Ideas project submission's size; they surely wouldn't have made a point of mentioning it in the video otherwise. It's a pleasant surprise to get such a large set through Ideas, but the fact it's so large only in one direction - really tall, but not all that wide - surely helps.

I don't think the Particle Accelerator has much chance, unfortunately (though I would love to be wrong about that one). It's relatively large - not in piece count compared to some other Ideas sets, perhaps, but it requires power functions, which adds greatly to the cost / price and which they've never included in an Ideas set yet. It's also, at least in its present form, dependent upon old elements (the old-style curved rails) they haven't made in years and for which they may no longer have usable molds. Most importantly, though, a set specifically designed to use motor power to shoot a small, hard plastic ball around the inside of a track as fast as it can go sounds like something they'd nix on safety grounds almost immediately. Still, they do have any number of sets that launch various sorts of missiles, so you never know...

Meanwhile... We're getting not one but two iconic vessels of the 1960s, both of which took people to strange new worlds and fired imaginations of millions, albeit in very different ways. I think both sets will be awesome, and I'm dying to see the final versions.

Zzzzzzz

Oh well. Congrats to the supporters and creator, but this is not my cup of tea.

Edited by CM4Sci

Nothing is everyone's cup of tea. But I suspect there are a lot of people who are into both science and LEGO, and the high proportion of LEGO CUUSOO / Ideas sets that have something to do with scientific exploration, discovery and research - more than a quarter of them, even before today's announcement - reflects that.

I'm actually quite happy this did, I think it is a pretty good model designed well with the modularity of it. I'm also surprised they chose it considering how big it is, I just hope they don't make it much smaller, if at all.

I'm really looking forward to this one.

I got the old Saturn V Moon Mission set when I was a child, and loved it to pieces. Literally. It's in poor condition.

I actually found a second copy of it at a garage sale recently and that brought on all the nostalgia.

I look forward to adding this to my Saturn V Trilogy.

I just hope this isn't a repeat of the Ideas Mars Rover disaster. I'm still sad I missed out on that one.

I just hope this isn't a repeat of the Ideas Mars Rover disaster. I'm still sad I missed out on that one.

I second this, I'll be trying to buy it day 1. Seems all the Ideas sets I want are the really short production runs (Mars Rover & Research Institute)

- JimP

I second this, I'll be trying to buy it day 1. Seems all the Ideas sets I want are the really short production runs (Mars Rover & Research Institute)

- JimP

With last ideas set there are tendencies to make this set avaliable at least one year.If this set is selling well then production run is affected by this, like other exclusive sets.

I also will make purchase of Apollo 11 as fast I can, this set is perfect.And I think if they in video mention rocket height they want to archieve this.

As far as height, since they mentioned it they almost surely already have achieved it. Once they know they have the market for an idea and the rights to it, they get down to seeing if it can be built with existing production capacities and to quality standards. They have to make sure those things are possible before they announce it.

The original IDEAS submission for this project has an impressive number of details, especially in the internals and the modularity, separable stages with moving parts, plus a lunar lander and two minifigs - here's hoping that all of this is faithfully preserved in the final product. However, the IDEAS submission was done in LDD, so some of the features may not be transferable to real bricks

Or they may have to remove some features to reinforce the internal structure so that it is swooshable. As indicated in the Ideas terms and conditions, LEGO do say they reserve the rights to make changes like they did with the Back to the Future DeLorean.

Man! I am a big classic rock fan and having the Lego Yellow Submarine with the 4 minifigure Beatles in my collection would be the perfect fit for my love. Along with the Saturn V Apollo 11 Rocket, which would go perfectly with the rest of the scaled models I have. Awesome job!

I've had a thought: what if the Saturn V gets delayed to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 in 2019?

I doubt it. It's true they might speed up development of an Ideas project a little in order to hit a certain date (as with the Ghostbusters Ideas set, released in time for the movie's 30th anniversary), and we also know they can take a healthy chunk of time between announcing something and revealing and releasing it (and I wouldn't be surprised if they did that with this one, since it looks like it'll be huge, and there are also three other sets in the queue - one announced simultaneously, and two from the review before). However, the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 is presently over three years away. I don't really see them having that much time pass between announcing a set and releasing it.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

I'm fairly excited about this set. I'm not always one for these sorts of models but the Saturn V holds a special place in my heart, because one of the few specific MOCs I remember from my childhood was a large model of the Saturn V rocket. Looking back, it probably wasn't AS huge and impressive as it felt at the time, but at this point I'll never know for sure—the whole thing collapsed when my parents went to get the camera. In any case, this model should be quite the satisfactory substitute.

Edited by Lyichir

I've updated the initial post with the main image of the original Ideas submission.

If you have facebook consider liking this page

https://www.facebook.com/lego.space.history/?fref=ts

Wow! I hadn't even noticed the project video until checking out the Facebook page. This project is even more impressive than I'd realized when I first supported it. If the final set is even half as good as the original project, it's going to be an awesome, must-have LEGO set.

Wow! I hadn't even noticed the project video until checking out the Facebook page. This project is even more impressive than I'd realized when I first supported it. If the final set is even half as good as the original project, it's going to be an awesome, must-have LEGO set.

This set has huge potencial to be great educational model.So I only hope that lego will make everything very similar, if no I think fans will be very pissed off.

Zzzzzzz

Oh well. Congrats to the supporters and creator, but this is not my cup of tea.

I don't get why this set is getting so little love. It's a giant rocket! It's Mankind's greatest achievement! It's like a meter tall! It's just as historical the beagle! I love it.

2019; 50th anniversary of the Apollo moon landing, and 150th of the completion of the American Transcontinental Railroad. Looks like it will be a fun year then!