Blondie-Wan

21306: The Beatles Yellow Submarine (LEGO Ideas)

#21306: Yellow Submarine - $59.99 

• 550 Pieces
  • Includes John, Paul, George, Ringo, Jeremy figures 
  • Available November 1st 2016  

2688691-o_1aun8dlqhjr8199jh9gle0h5fs.jpg

Lego Ideas Press Release: 

Introducing LEGO® Ideas 21306 Yellow Submarine

Let’s all live in a Yellow Submarine with The Beatles! After spending months submerged the Yellow Submarine has re-surfaced and it has brought along the first official images of the LEGO® Ideas 21306 Yellow Submarine. 

You can find this iconic submarine and its legendary passengers in stores from the 1st of November, 2016 for a recommended retail price of USD 59.99 / EUR 59,99 / GBP 49.99. The set consists of over 550 LEGO bricks including the 4 minifigures representing John, Paul, George and Ringo, as well as a Jeremy figure, and is an ideal gift for fans of LEGO building and The Beatles alike, with great opportunities for role play or as a colorful, retro display piece

Here is the official description:

Take a surreal trip under the seas in the LEGO® version of the Yellow Submarine from the iconic 1968 animated musical fantasy film inspired by The Beatles. Ideal for display or role-play fun, the Yellow Submarine features loads of cool, authentic details including a cockpit for the included minifigures of John, Paul, George and Ringo.

Kevin Szeto's motivation for creating the Yellow Submarine

"As an amateur musician and songwriter, I have always been drawn to the music of The Beatles. The creation of the Yellow Submarine model was really my way of showing my affection for The Beatles, as well as trying to pay a small tribute to The Beatles phenomenon. The Yellow Submarine is bright, fun, and colourful, which also made it a good subject to translate into LEGO form", Kevin said as he shared his motivations for building the Yellow Submarine.

Justin Ramsden's (LEGO designer) motivations were also very much centred around his love for the iconic band, as he was given the opportunity to refine Kevin's initial model. “I watched the film when I was younger and was really inspired by how it oozed so much imagination – comparable to how I view LEGO elements. I’m also a massive fan of The Beatles having grown up with their music all my life so to see The Beatles in LEGO form is a dream come true.

2688683-o_1aun8bae52euv4k1pbp34n1ha0a.jp

2688687-o_1aun8d709icl1adh1lhjt55r1bn.jp

Edited by Captain Nemo
Adding Set Images

Oh wow... I would think they knew about this set before approving or licensing the set. Wonder if they have plans to radically change the design (like a Technics Submarine) or the license allows them to make a clone?

Glad they green lighted the Beatles set and the UCS style Saturn V rocket. I had three favorite projects from that round and two were approved! Yah! Sad for the 20,000 Leagues one though :(

Congrats to the designer Kevinszeto! :classic::thumbup: This was the one I guessed would pass the review, I'm so glad that it and Apollo 11 got through!

This looks nicely affordable and will be a great, recognisable little display piece. Well deserved for it to pass!

Also, ew, K'nex. :laugh:

Oh wow... I would think they knew about this set before approving or licensing the set. Wonder if they have plans to radically change the design (like a Technics Submarine) or the license allows them to make a clone?

Of course they know, and it's not an issue. That K'Nex set was licensed years ago, and is no longer being made; if you go to K'Nex's site, it's not even mentioned anywhere among their other products or anything - the only reference to the set anywhere is in their press release archive, where you can find the old press release from when the set was announced.

Part of the whole LEGO Ideas review process is for their legal department to do all the necessary research (like checking to see whether a necessary license is available) and getting any needed licensing agreements. LEGO wouldn't have announced the set unless they'd already secured a license from the Beatles' licensing agency, and said agency wouldn't have granted the license to LEGO unless it were available (i.e., K'Nex's license for the same kind of toy had expired). The fact this LEGO set has been announced obviously means K'Nex's licensed has expired (or is about to, at the very least).

Lego is a clone of K'nex. :-)

(pic snipped)

Ummm... Yeeeaah, no. I think we can safely assume the LEGO version will look pretty different from that one, even while being based on the same source material. Actually, I imagine it'll fairly closely resemble the original Ideas project, which looks tough to improve upon at that size / scale.

I actually think the K'Nex version will retain one or two advantages, though, in all the other included figures that required special molds. I'm 99% sure LEGO's version will have figures of just John, Paul, George, and Ringo, and no one else, especially ones that would require special molds to pull off. The original project doesn't call for other characters anyway.

Absolute first day purchase for me. Being from Liverpool and a massive Beatles fan my only worry is the Lego shop in Liverpool One might be the trickiest place to buy this from depending on the amount of stock they get in.

A 1m tall Apollo 11?! Wow... I think we can safely say that the previous thoughts of Ideas sets being based around a certain price point (£30-£50) are completely out of the window with that one.

This is the best day ever for announcements! First a bunch of Dimensions Licences and now Ideas! Very good choices and certainly an easy purchase irrespective of the price for me.

Yes, good choice. I don't know if i'll buy it (i still need to buy a lot) but i'll tell a few friends (beatlesfans) that they have too. And maybe i want Ringo.

Does this mean that we can expect to see The Beatles in LEGO Dimensions for year three? :wink:

My thought exactly. We'll get four fun packs with early Beatles in suits. And level pack with Yoko Ono.

My thought exactly. We'll get four fun packs with early Beatles in suits. And level pack with Yoko Ono.

Or perhaps a level pack with Paul McCartney based on the Yellow Submarine film and Paul McCartney unlocks the other three Beatles?

First a bunch of Dimensions Licences and now Ideas!

The Dimension packs strangely look "inspired by" Ideas projects, though.

I mean, perhaps it makes sense for Adventure Time to be Legofied, but The A Team, I can only think of the several Ideas projects to have told Lego that people may want that.

Depending on the price, and accurate flash-tone Beatles, I may wind up pickung this one up. Not something I was ever expecting to get made into a set!

My dad will love this one!

I wonder how they are going to this one without new molds

Which hairpieces could they use for the Beatles?

I'm honestly surprised. I had always thought that the Beatles may have been alittle too controversial for Lego, but I'm glad I was wrong. Here's hoping this sets the stage for similar decisions.

I don't think they need new molds at all, unless they go the route of the K'Nex one and throw in Blue Meanies and other non-Beatle characters. I think John, Paul, George, and Ringo will come out just fine with existing hair molds, likely the same ones used for each member in the original project.

I do assume they'll be fleshtones, of course. The animated versions of them still are, after all.

Or perhaps a level pack with Paul McCartney based on the Yellow Submarine film and Paul McCartney unlocks the other three Beatles?

A team pack with a upsidown car, a warus, Paul, and rubber Paul. (Joke)

Which hairpieces could they use for the Beatles?

Lego's most basic bowl haircut is already a Beatles one

This is going to be great!

I strongly hope that they will create yellowish Beatles, not fleshy ones.

Yellow tones are great for original LEGO figures, Simpsons and Spongebob but not licensed figures. The Beatles were not yellow skinned.

Although. I prefer the classic pre-acid / weird Beatles, just being made into minifigures is nothing short of absolute joy. :laugh: Besides, classic Beatles would have been difficult to design a set for and the yellow submarine should turn out pretty fun.