Sign in to follow this  
David Thomsen

'Masterpiece' classic sets for Lego Ideas

I'm a collector of Masterpiece Transformers, which are like classic G1 transformers that have been revisited in a larger scale with improved engineering techniques and detail. They're great because they let me buy toys that I never had as a child, but in a form that I appreciate much more as an adult.

I'd love to see classic Lego sets given the same treatment. Things like the Black Seas Barracuda, but in the scale of the 2010 Imperial Flagship. Or one of the classic Town holiday homes or airports, or a classic Castle castle, or a classic Spaceship, built with twice as many pieces. We've already seen something like a Masterpiece Classic Spaceship in the form of Benny's Spaceship, and I think the popularity of that set shows that there is an appeal for this sort of thing.

I started working on my own Masterpiece 6374 Holiday Home a while ago, with details like a tile-built driveway and a brick-built tree, but I don't really have enough time for it right now. Also I have no idea if other people are nostalgic enough for that particular set to vote for it if I uploaded it to Lego Ideas, and I'm not sure if I'm a good enough builder to make something that people would want to vote for anyway. Also I can't figure out how to extract my work from Digital Designer and render it in high quality.

So I guess I have a few questions. Are Masterpiece Lego sets an idea that people would be interested in? Which sets are iconic enough to receive the Masterpiece treatment? And would people be willing to work together, maybe sharing files through Digital Designer, to design sets good enough that people would vote for them in Lego Ideas?

Edited by David Thomsen

At this moment, I think your best shot is a classic castle set, for there are a lot of people screaming for a "real" castle theme and the old castle factions. I'm not really able to recommend particular sets, since I was only born in 1997. :grin: Good luck with your project(s)!

I like the idea of a regular masterpiece edition. It would be a nice treat AFOLs growing up in the 80s and 90s to see their old favourites all poshed up with the possibilities of today's bricks. And as you mentioned, it has been done before with the Imperial Flagship, Benny's Spaceship, the Kingdoms Joust and the Market VIllage, but only as one-offs really.

Of course there would be inevitably a number of people who would argue that the improvements ruined the sets, but there will be always someone who complains :wink:

Great idea. Another variation on this idea is Classic Creator sets. For instance a Classic Space Creator set with two or three minifigs and enough wheels, windscreens, and wings in the right colors to make a few different sets (base, space ship, rover), I personally would by multiples.

Great idea. Another variation on this idea is Classic Creator sets. For instance a Classic Space Creator set with two or three minifigs and enough wheels, windscreens, and wings in the right colors to make a few different sets (base, space ship, rover), I personally would by multiples.

Ha ha, that's exactly the idea behind a project I submitted two years ago. I kind of wish I'd spent more time polishing the idea now.

I don't know if something like this is what you're suggesting, but my Updating the Classics project has been going on for a few years now. There are some buildings on the last pages:

16252082759_0653ef9dc1_c.jpg

Garage 26 by Are J Heiseldal, on Flickr

14126322980_24a2559109_c.jpg

Snack Bar 21 by Are J Heiseldal, on Flickr

16478365935_5ab34b5edd_c.jpg

Post Office 20 by Are J Heiseldal, on Flickr

15829941114_d8601c1645_c.jpg

Doctor's Office 21 by Are J Heiseldal, on Flickr