Sign in to follow this  
ALCO

MOC Steam Engines WIP

Hello folks, here are just a couple of the projects I have been working on lately. The SP4449 was an adaptation of my UP844 with a lot of modifications. The K4-s is a complete rebuild of my earlier version with a whole new tender. The 0-6-0...I built the tender because I thought it was cool and then realized I needed something to go with it. And SP 4294... a 4-8-8-2 Cab-Forward.... The cab was the challenging part but I think it came out pretty well. I know I should stop building in LDD because I want to build all these in real bricks! Well, maybe when time, space, funds, and energy align, I will be able to build these. Anyway, enjoy the show!

27283743332_3b5a0817fc.jpg

While I built the tender first and realized I needed something to go with it, I think the locomotive turned out better when it was just the after-thought!

27283741472_126a7b8c02.jpg

Complete rebuild of my 4-6-2. I love the tender, I'll have to put up some better renderings of that. But anyway, I thought that since that was such c complete rebuild, I should post it.

27310936011_4aff32c40d.jpg

Yes, I do like big articulated locomotives! My collection wouldn't be complete without one of these. I am thinking about flipping the engine around and putting a cow-catcher on the front so I can have a 2-8-8-4 Yellowstone. Since this and the Yellowstone are the same thing it would be pretty easy to do.

27310940751_7a7fa67844.jpg

And finally, the Southern Pacific 4449 Daylight. I had never built a streamlined locomotive before and, it was a lot harder than I thought it would be, I can tell you that! When I build it in real lift, then I'll compare it to the one designed by Tone Sava. Until then, I'm quite proud of this one!

I'd love to hear everyone's feed back on these. I'm always looking to improve and incorporate new ideas.

They look very nice, but the steam switcher is my favorite. I love the others, don't get me wrong, but without those tiny switchers making up trains and doing light freight / industrial siding work, you wouldn't have much of a railroad. Sure, passenger trains get all the glory and freight is the bread and butter of railroads, but without those switchers, you wouldn't have a train to pull! I mean can you imagine a fancy-painted and streamlined GS-4 Daylight doing shunting work on a tight-turned industrial siding?

...anyway, fantastic work!

The cab forward and the daylight are spectacular - I'd really like to see like 5 more shots each for both. That may be the best Daylight I've seen, actually.

I'm not *quite* so keen on the 4-6-2... the driver spacing, as well as the distance between the wheels on the lead truck, look like they could be reevaluated. It would help to see a prototype picture, though, before passing any real judgement.

The 0-6-0 is very strong, though the lack of a continuous slope on the rear of the tender is seems slightly jarring. Again, without a picture of the real thing to compare it against, I can't say much.

But, yeah, overall... like 10+ more pictures would be very much welcome, including very-close ups of things like trailing trucks, cab interiors, etc. I wanna see MOAR!!

Edited by ShrikeArghast

Hey Alco,

all of the engines look fantastic, you really need to start a separate thread for each of them and include many more pictures. There is clearly a lot of great details worth highlighting in each of these models. The 0-6-0 slope back tender is great, but the cylinders, pilot and boiler all look like they have a lot of fine detail going on. The way you hid the IR receiver in the cab is neat, has the right shape to look like vent doors in the roof. So where is the motor and battery box hiding? The Pacific is also looking great (look at that dynamo in front of the stack). Great Vanderbilt tender. Here too, seeing more details on the boiler and on how you motorized it would be neat. Any idea if it will go around curves? The cab forward is top notch, it is surprisingly difficult to get the boiler to look right on an engine this long. How many motors do you have in that locomotive and where are they hiding? Any idea if it will take curves? And of course the Daylight is beautiful. Here too details on propulsion would be of interest. More views would be great, e.g., the hints of safety valves and whistle just in front of the cab.

Keep up the great work

The cab forward and the daylight are spectacular - I'd really like to see like 5 more shots each for both. That may be the best Daylight I've seen, actually.

I'm not *quite* so keen on the 4-6-2... the driver spacing, as well as the distance between the wheels on the lead truck, look like they could be reevaluated. It would help to see a prototype picture, though, before passing any real judgement.

The 0-6-0 is very strong, though the lack of a continuous slope on the rear of the tender is seems slightly jarring. Again, without a picture of the real thing to compare it against, I can't say much.

But, yeah, overall... like 10+ more pictures would be very much welcome, including very-close ups of things like trailing trucks, cab interiors, etc. I wanna see MOAR!!

Thanks for your feedback! I am posting more photos to my flickr account today for you. Here is a link to the flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128636628@N08/

I cannot remember exactlly which one was the prototype for both the 4-6-2 and the 0-6-0 but here are the links to the photos I used. Also a ton more Union Pacific locomotives as well.

The lead truck wheel spacing is so that the front wheel clears the front of the cylinders when negotiating the Lego R40 curves. For a static display, it would not be necessary, but since I want to play with it when I build it and I don't have any ME Models R56+ curves, I just have to build it for the track it's going to run on. In the linked photos below, there were several different sloped tenders. I chose this one to model because I could hide the battery box better. And yes, there are some that are not sloped all the way but have the coal bunker sticking up higher than the top of the slope. You made a comment in another thread about the flex tool in LDD...it is wretched...and thus the 0-6-0 is missing a hand-rail on the front of the smoke box that makes it look like a smiley face.

https://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Union-Pacific/UP-Steam-DDR/

http://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Union-Pacific/UP-Steam-Locomotives/

I like all your steam train especialy Southern Pacific 4449 Daylight. it's beautiful in color and shape.

Thank you!

Good works. I would like to see the cab forward in real bricks. It would be a real beast with 2 XL motors. :classic:

Hey Alco,

all of the engines look fantastic, you really need to start a separate thread for each of them and include many more pictures. There is clearly a lot of great details worth highlighting in each of these models. The 0-6-0 slope back tender is great, but the cylinders, pilot and boiler all look like they have a lot of fine detail going on. The way you hid the IR receiver in the cab is neat, has the right shape to look like vent doors in the roof. So where is the motor and battery box hiding? The Pacific is also looking great (look at that dynamo in front of the stack). Great Vanderbilt tender. Here too, seeing more details on the boiler and on how you motorized it would be neat. Any idea if it will go around curves? The cab forward is top notch, it is surprisingly difficult to get the boiler to look right on an engine this long. How many motors do you have in that locomotive and where are they hiding? Any idea if it will take curves? And of course the Daylight is beautiful. Here too details on propulsion would be of interest. More views would be great, e.g., the hints of safety valves and whistle just in front of the cab.

Keep up the great work

Thanks for the suggestion Zephyr! Here are links to the flickr galleries for each one.

0-6-0: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128636628@N08/albums/72157669190959565

Pacific Class: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128636628@N08/albums/72157668792564781

Cab Forward: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128636628@N08/albums/72157668364326590

Daylight: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128636628@N08/albums/72157666618568943