42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - Rating  

362 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Jim, could you test whether the flappy pedals work with only one rubber band on each?

(sorry for the double-post, but at this frequency of replies i fear to disappear :classic: )

Permission changed :thumbup:

Jim, could you test whether the flappy pedals work with only one rubber band on each?

Just tried, and the gearbox does seem to function properly. But it's hard to say, because you can't see the actual gears changing. So it might be the case, that the changeover catch isn't properly functioning. In other words; I am not sure that each gear is properly engaged.

Any specific reason you are asking?

Very good review! I definitely loved your pictures and the expert analysis of the set's assets and flaws. The gears shifting in the wrong order is something I myself never even noticed, due largely to only giving the functions a few cursory tries before covering up the pistons later in the build, so I'll probably attempt to fix that on my brother's copy of the set in the near future. I am glad to hear that it's such a simple fix, though—when I heard rumors of a critical flaw I was envisioning something that would need major changes or could actually damage the model through normal play.

One thing I can't agree with is the call at the end for black 3M pins and 2M pin-axles. They might certainly make the set look better in a few specific locations, but at the cost of making an already 10-hour build that much harder. I've recently been quite pleased with Lego's color coding—note that Lego now has at least seven Technic connectors in 3M (pin, friction pin, axle, axle with stop, axle with stop and stud, pin-axle-axle, pin-pin-axle), and with the current system they have managed to color code each and every one of those (in distinct colors from their closest 2M and 4M counterparts, where that applies). You might argue that a set aimed at builders 16 and up can stand to have a little more difficulty, but I would counter-argue that even a set like this aimed at a primarily adult audience will be bought by a lot of newer builders with comparably little building experience, the type who could very easily make the simple mistake of mixing up different sorts of axles (especially for a licensed set like this that will likely attract adult Porsche fans for whom this is their first foray into Technic). And in Technic especially, the bigger and more complex a set is, the easier it is to make mistakes (and the harder it can be to reverse them if discovered later on). For the tiny effect the few visible axles have on the large finished model, I don't see the potential confusion being worth it.

Great review! Thanks a lot!!! All facts are on the table now.

Found a small typo while reading. In the Gearbox section of the Summary you end the last sentence with "with touching the rubber bands constantly". I think it should be "without touching the rubber bands constantly".

I enjoyed reading it.

Good night!

Edited by Didumos69

I'm reading through this review again and I am realizing that a thorough, balanced review can bring almost as much entertainment as the actual set.

You earned your holiday with this one, Jim.

I will let the gearbox issues slide. I don't think they are really that serious, this being Lego and having slack here and there all the time. What leaves me wanting, is lack of functionality. Like you said, Jim, the rear axle steering would have been very nice. It would have made this a must for me. Now I will probably concentrate on the other 2nd half sets, until I find the Porsche with a better price. At that point, there's probably also a nice Ultimate Ultimate Porsche created by the community, so I'll hit the ground running and go straight to that :).

Thanks for the review, it was a great read!

Edited by Beard

Here's what i mean with the knob wheels:

NWKj0Q5.jpg

with the new red driving ring connector (?) the gears might not be correctly (dis-) engaged and two gears engaged at the same time cause a lock-up.

Concerning the rubber bands: I thought this might look a little better, no technical reason :blush:

Edited by schraubedrin

Found a small typo while reading. In the Gearbox section of the Summary you end the last sentence with "with touching the rubber bands constantly". I think it should be "without touching the rubber bands constantly".

Thanks for pointing it out. My mind tends to make these kind of mistake, missing words like "not" in a sentence, or using with instead of without. Can screw up your entire argument :wink:

I'm reading through this review again and I am realizing that a thorough, balanced review can bring almost as much entertainment as the actual set.

You earned your holiday with this one, Jim.

Whooooop whoooop! :wink:

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

Here's what i mean with the knob wheels:

with the new red driving ring connector (?) the gears might not be correctly (dis-) engaged and two gears engaged at the same time cause a lock-up.

Concerning the rubber bands: I thought this might look a little better, no technical reason :blush:

Engaging and disengaging of the gears could be causing the problem. Sometimes the gears just don't fully engage or disengage. The mechanism on the steering wheel is a rather strange one. Couldn't fully wrap my head around it.

I will let the gearbox issues slide. I don't think they are really that serious, this being Lego and having slack here and there all the time. What leaves me wanting, is lack of functionality. Like you said, Jim, the rear axle steering would have been very nice. It would have made this a must for me. Now I will probably concentrate on the other 2nd half sets, until I find the Porsche with a better price. At that point, there's probably also a nice Ultimate Ultimate Porsche created by the community, so I'll hit the ground running and go straight to that :).

This is exactly how I feel. The gearbox...okay, I accept the fact that it's not perfect. But man, I would have loved to see rear axle/wheel steering. Modders, start your engines :wink:

I really don´t want free sets if I have to do awesome reviews like this, what a hard work. The review confirms what I thought about the set.

if it wasn't so deeply buried inside of the model it might be an idea to check whether the standard white driving ring connector might help without needing too much force.

The defined grooves might ensure the right function of the gear-engage.

Excellent review, beautiful pictures, informative videos, with objective comments - in my opinion, and also very entertaining. Huge "Thank You" Jim. :thumbup:

For me all in all, it is just a huge average set. The review IS ultimate. :wink:

To the set:

Looks good, unique, but I totally agree with the consequence: could have been better. This can be stated for most official sets, but for an Ultimate labeled one... well I consider this as a problem.

What I don't really dig, how the mentioned issues were not discovered, especially as they stated the 3 years development period?

Was there a push to put this model on shelves as it is (marketing department), or they just rely on the fact, that the majority of the buyers will not observe these on a shelf model, or... ?

Whatever happened, Lego should sit down and re-consider this:

img_7282.png?l.r2=-86381607

Edited by agrof

Jim, I stayed up tonight only for this review. If there is anything ultimate, it's your review. I have not decided about the Porsche yet, but I loved to read through the review, especially all the comparisons, like rims, wheels and axles.

nuf' said

I really don´t want free sets if I have to do awesome reviews like this, what a hard work.

Thanks mate :sweet::thumbup:

I wish TLG would acknowlegde that fact and send out the review sets a week or two earlier.

Excellent review, beautiful pictures, informative videos, with objective comments - in my opinion, and also very entertaining. Huge "Thank You" Jim. :thumbup:

For me all in all, it is just a huge average set. The review IS ultimate. :wink:

Thanks, thanks, thanks. I really appreciate comments like these. Makes me happy I stayed up late.

There is one thing that I know for certain.. These rims are going to have a date with my chrome guy.. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Jim, I stayed up tonight only for this review. If there is anything ultimate, it's your review. I have not decided about the Porsche yet, but I loved to read through the review, especially all the comparisons, like rims, wheels and axles.

nuf' said

Again..thanks!! I think it's time to hit the sack, although I am pretty sure the adrenaline will keep me awake for a couple of minutes...hours....who knows. Back again tomorrow for more comments.

Good review! Thank you for explaining the problem with the gear shift and how to correct it. I'm not a gearhead so it would never have occurred to it. Since all the correct parts exist in the model, correcting this issue should be a lot easier than problems like the LEGO Ideas Wall-E set's neck. All it really needs is an errata sheet for the instructions as a placeholder until new instructions can be printed with the next production run, and fixing it for people who bought a set without the errata sheet is as simple as releasing it online.

If it were a real 16+ set, all axles and pins would have been black and the instructions would have had a lot less steps. There's probably a good reason for it, but at the moment I can't explain why this set it 16+.

I'm 25 and I prefer color-coded pins and axles whenever possible, even in my own MOCs. I pretty much have since they were first introduced back in 2003 or so. They're rarely very noticeable for me on a finished model, and when they are I don't think they detract from the overall look. Some LEGO fans think colored pins should only be used when they match the color of the model, but the chief purpose of colored pins is to make it easier to identify them, whether in the instructions and in a pile of parts. Coloring pins to match the other parts of a model would essentially defeat the purpose, making the building experience more tedious and frustrating instead of less.

Mind you, when a pin or axle is being used decoratively, like Quidditch poles from LEGO Harry Potter, teeth on a Bionicle model, or guard rails on a building or vehicle, I have no problem with them being colored according to their function. But when they're being used purely as connectors, I think the advantages of being able to identify them at a glance and not confuse them with similar-sized axles and pins significantly outweigh the disadvantages of some tiny spots of color here and there on a finished model.

What Lyi brings up about this model having the potential to draw in less experienced adult builders is a good point as well. I'd compare it to how some recent Architecture sets like 21026 Venice have callouts to make sure you don't confuse bricks of similar shape and size. While these sets are definitely aimed at mature and sophisticated builders, they are not necessarily aimed at people with lifelong LEGO building experience. It's harder to market them as classy gifts for sophisticated adults if they alienate adults who never quite escaped their "dark ages" and haven't built a LEGO set in years, let alone one this large and complex.

I do not think the 16+ age range is all that surprising. After all, Temple of Airjitzu is 14+, and having built both it and the chassis of the Porsche I'd say the latter is undoubtedly the more complex set. The piece count of the Porsche is the third highest of any Technic set ever, and the gearbox and paddle shifter mechanisms are more complex than the gearbox of any other Technic set I've built (mind you, I've built the Unimog and Mobile Crane MK II, but not the Arocs). The instructions are difficult to follow as well. Many other sets (Technic and System alike) I have built while watching movies or TV shows in the background, but I am fairly sure I could not have built the chassis of this set with those sorts of distractions.

There is also the building and play experiences to consider. Just as an Architecture set might be tedious, frustrating, and not very rewarding for an eight year old even if its building techniques are simple enough, I think this set, as complex as it is, could have similar potential to bore or frustrate younger builders. Compared to the new Bucket Wheel Excavator or Arocs, which have more varied color palettes and more diverse structures and mechanisms, the Porsche might seem very monotonous to a 12-year-old or 14-year-old. Especially since all the functional elements are all concentrated in the chassis rather than distributed throughout the entire building process. For an adult who seeks elegance and authenticity, it has a lot to offer. For a teen who hopes for a building experience with more variety and surprises throughout the entire process, not so much.

Playability-wise, a younger teen might also be less impressed by the number of speeds on the gearbox than with a set that can switch between lots of discrete functions. The 24 Hours Race Car is a simpler set, but it has gear-driven gull wing doors and a gear-driven engine cover. This car... well, it drives, steers, and changes gears, but that's about it. That may be fairly authentic to what a real supercar can do, but it's not quite so action-packed. The working steering wheel and paddle shifters add to the authenticity but not so much to the playability, since they are harder to access while rolling the car around than externally mounted steering knobs and switches. It's not strictly a display model, since it has moving parts and working functions, but it's not really a model for zooming around the kitchen table, either. Definitely a more "grown-up" sort of set.

Edited by Aanchir

Thanks for staying up and posting the review! It is much appreciated.

The review is fantastic and clearly shows the positives and negatives. Silly mistake by TLG switching the gears, the locking gearbox will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I am still buying the set as I want it sitting on my display shelf.

Thanks Jim. Awesome review!

After reading it through a couple of times I have changed my mind several times on whether to rush to Cardiff to get it tomorrow or not, but I think overal it is ace, and I will.

It is disappointing some of the features haven't been integrated for the price and the mistake in the instructions is not acceptable, the stalling is well meh, but it is Lego/ABS plastic at the end of the day!

At the end of the day I'll enjoy (and look forward to) the build and seeing how it all works and then the crash tester will well...... Crash test it and it will be sent to the repair shop and some modifications once the clever ones of you have Sussed it out.

Yes it's probably 70 euro too much, and it will probably be 50 euro cheaper after Christmas, but I want it and can't wait to build it so I better get up early if I'm to get it built by this time tomorrow?

Same here! after all, with sets having 1000's of parts and the instructions has 100's of pages, mistakes could easily appear. And this was a minor one ;)

TY alot Jim for another amazing review of an amazing lookin car.

Edited by GoldVillage

Thanks Jim! Still debating myself on what to buy... have almost $300 in VIP points to spend, so I'm debating between this and the BWE later. Decisions, decisions...

Kind of bummed about the calipers, they could have easily made them curved with some other pieces like these

lego_slope_curved_4_x_1_double__93273__lego-medium-stone-gray-slope-curved-4-x-1-double-93273-27-264231-64.jpg

lego-black-plate-1-x-2-3023-30-44980-38.jpg

lego-black-plate-1-x-4-3710-30-515555-38.jpg

6587.jpg

6587.jpg

Omg sorry the pics are so big didn't realise that sorry!

Edited by MRP_

What lengths are the flex axles in this Jim? Doesn't say in the bill of materials

@Jim. Thanks for an "Ultimate" review! Well done both the text and awesome photos.

I do agree that this is one awesome "Display Model" and a great looking super car. But I'm not convinced that it is for me. I really like more Technic functions and the star (and almost the only one) is the gearbox, which doesn't look like it can be seen very well (if at all) and the shifting looks like it will be hard to accomplish with a completed model.

Awesome super car! But I'm not sure it is for me.

Looking forward to the BWE, CLAAS and Volvo. Instead of the Porsche, I may buy 2 BWE.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D