42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS - Rating  

362 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

So it's different :D

different to say a lego 4884 way of doing it, or just putting the spring directly on the side of the top and bottom wishbonesinstead of putting the top of the spring on a seperate chassis.

I'm curious about the 3L red axle connector you removed. Would that be the one that is in front of the drive selector?

Was it just an esthetic change? What step number did you make this change? I'm gathering all the small changes everyone is doing before I build mine.

I replaced the red connector behind the steering wheel. This change was just made for color. Because the black one is shorter, I needed a longer axle to support the steering wheel.

Adding the body makes the whole structure more rigid. That means reducing friction that might come from bending. Of course that applies less if you don't add the wheels and lay the chassis flat on the table.

I did want to mention that I love your removable body mod, but I do have one difference of opinion. You mention in the video that you can just omit the connectors behind the seats because they are not very important. I found that these two connectors are the only thing preventing the gearbox flex issue that I described in my previous post, so I would not recommend taking them out. They solidify the gearbox which is a good thing.

I replaced the red connector behind the steering wheel. This change was just made for color. Because the black one is shorter, I needed a longer axle to support the steering wheel.

I did want to mention that I love your removable body mod, but I do have one difference of opinion. You mention in the video that you can just omit the connectors behind the seats because they are not very important. I found that these two connectors are the only thing preventing the gearbox flex issue that I described in my previous post, so I would not recommend taking them out. They solidify the gearbox which is a good thing.

Thank-you.

In regards to the connectors behind the seats being left in for rigidity. Do you think this affects the body mod?

In regards to the connectors behind the seats being left in for rigidity. Do you think this affects the body mod?

Only when the body is removed! The body stiffens the chassis so there will be more flex in the gearbox when the body is removed, but it still works. Ideally there would be a structural member spanning the flex point in the chassis to the body stiffness was not needed.

Yes... IMHO this module got the highest value in this set. It will be a lot spoken about negatives here... The gearbox is simple, suspension too, steering too... but this module is truly masterpiece... other earlier solutions from AFOLs were not so compact like this. So big compliment for designer...

Max

Actually, I have encountered indexing mechanisms that are smaller, and more reliable. Although, the Lego solution is still amazing, even if it is bulky.

Actually, I have encountered indexing mechanisms that are smaller, and more reliable. Although, the Lego solution is still amazing, even if it is bulky.

Can you post a link. I would like to see it. Thanx... :)

Max

Excellent review Jim, thumb's up for that! :thumbup: very informal and well executed.

For those interested in the shipping delay from S@H, the guy at the local store here said its because TLG wants to make sure the boxes are not damaged in transit. They had complaints about the 41999 suffering dents and dings and bent corners on the box (the model box, not the shipping box). Shipments to stores are unaffected, because those come on pallets that are a lot less susceptible to damage (less human handling). Obviously I cannot confirm this, but it seems plausible.

Edited by BimmerBoy

I have to admit, a few small details like the headlight mounting bother me. They could have mounted it a brick shorter on the liftarms and made it flush using a 1x1 technic brick and a clear stud. But I'm excited for this new Technic UCS series. I want to see something big, muscly, and American for the next set. Like a Viper, Challenger, or a 6.7L diesel Ram. I rode in one, and if you mash the accelerator the 0-60 is insane for a full-size truck. I'd love to see a SRT Hellcat Challenger even more than that though. This set is going to be a must-buy for me.

You sound a lot like me, but I think Technic only makes European licenses. I'd easily pay $400-450 CAN for a set of any of those though. Also, can any one confirm what the special code unlocks?

Edited by Kman860

The code just unlocks some pictures. They were posted a few pages back. Pretty underwhelming in my opinion.

Edit: I'm on my phone so it's a bit hard to tell, but try about 5/6 pages back. Date was June 1st. Don't want to quote with the images.

Edited by will

For those interested in the shipping delay from S@H, the guy at the local store here said its because TLG wants to make sure the boxes are not damaged in transit. They had complaints about the 41999 suffering dents and dings and bent corners on the box (the model box, not the shipping box). Shipments to stores are unaffected, because those come on pallets that are a lot less susceptible to damage (less human handling). Obviously I cannot confirm this, but it seems plausible.

Was told for store sales they were packed and shipped at 3/case but for online sales it was 1/case (as shown in that packaging video last week and noted in numerous un-boxing videos and reviews).

Got an e-mail from S@H. It said that because of the way the set's box is put together there is an increased risk of damage to the set's box. So hopefully this is resolved soon. Maybe they'll put another cardboard sleeve around the set before putting it into the shipping box.

Edited by winbrant

Don't want to sound rude, but Bullcrap. They're busy adding errata sheets for the Blakbird mod / gear switching stages.

^ I'm not sure. If they secretly did the changes now after publicly dismissing any flaws, it would be a big step towards a real scandal :)

^ I'm not sure. If they secretly did the changes now after publicly dismissing any flaws, it would be a big step towards a real scandal :)

The Danish are actually quite good at making high-end TV-series about fraude and corruption (Borgen, Follow the money, etc.). This might evolve into a very good episode of a new such series :wink:

What was the special content on the Technic website? I missed that.

You unlock it with serial number of you car.

You unlock it with serial number of you car.

And it unlocks a few images only. This has been posted several times already in this thread.

Don't want to sound rude, but Bullcrap. They're busy adding errata sheets for the Blakbird mod / gear switching stages.

Maybe, but look at this: outside box (set box) was only with only slight dent, but one of inside boxes was fairly squashed, most likely by ver heavy book. Set was packed really well, in bigger box andlarge bubbles, but still it seems that inside forces are too big. From that viewpoint, boxes with less "travel" space are better.

Such a good looking car, but with a terrible gearbox, I just rebuilt the steering column and I am so disappointed with how it relies on friction to function. Great review too!

Edited by Epic Technic