Sign in to follow this  
The Middleman

Q&A with LEGO designer

Q: How do you feel about the minifigs going from yellow to flesh tones?

A: That decision was made for all the IP licenses to go to flesh tone. I like it.

Q: Will LEGO be making anything from the other films anymore? Like Episodes I and II?

A: Look for 2006 to be a mixed year with sets from different movies. (wooooooo!)

Q: Will LEGO make the minifigs available seperately or in a figure pack? (this was asked by an adult woman collector btw)

A: No, unfortunately another company has the rights to distribute and sell the characters in individual packs so we are not allowed to do that.

Q: how come the lightsaber handles on the LULS figures are all flat grey?

A: It was a cost production issue. Creating those minifigs with the lightsaber was expensive, so in order to bring the cost down, it was decided to re-use the same lightsaber design and color for all the minifigs. It was not possible to put chrome on the lightsaber.

Q: What's your favorite minifig? What's your favorite LEGO Star Wars set?

A: My favorite minifig is the Clone Pilot from the ARC-170 set. I got to work on the design of that figure and I really like the way it came out. My favorite set hasn't been released yet. It'll come out in July. (Sandcrawler, anyone? This gives me high hopes)

Q: Have you ever heard of FBTB.net?

A: No. (:P)

those questions were all they could possibly think of? next time, the designer should come to us...

"yes yes..." the Pharaoh happily replied... "my first servant is right! next time we'll hang 'm just above my faviroute crocodiles... and then we'll be asking some real interesting questions... yes... yes..." ...

Gotta love the last questions response, i would of loved to ask if hes ever heard of us.

Well Rebelscum is also hosting a Q&A. It is soooo funny they've never heard of fbtb :-D

Well Rebelscum is also hosting a Q&A. It is soooo funny they've never heard of fbtb :-D

funny, you say? i'm still hoping it's a joke! i mean, a designer, not knowing fbtb? I'd be interested in what my customers have to say about my models...

I was there at SW weekend. he had never heard of FBTB but he said they look at lugnet. the designer was Hans Zimmerman. there were alot more questions asked but some were by dumb parents whose kids play with SW legos. someone had the nerve to ask "what is ultimate collector". There were also questions asked that he couldn't just answer so he would say,"wait for 2006" and repeatedly stated that they are going to be sets on ep.3,4,5,and 6. After he answered the questions out loud he sat down at a table and signed autographs and answered more questions one on one. I went up and asked if the set he refered to that hadn't come out yet could be the sandcrawler? all he did was smile and winked. that was enough for me, since he designed it. so for all you guessing, YES, it is the sandcrawler and has 1700+ pieces. he said that 2006 is going to be there big push for SW, at Lucas's request. i asked about ep.1 and 2 sets and he said there not planning on it but you never know. we can, however, look forward to new figures we havent seen including ones that havent come out in flesh-tone yet,and there going for more detail in them. also, the Ultimate Space battle set w/ obi-wans starfighter, is supposed to a Target exclusive. my last question was if Lego will be re-newing their contract w/ SW. he said,"hopefully, because of the TV series coming out. But it all depends on if the shows are aired in Europe. if not, then lego probably wont". i would have asked a ton more but i only had so much time, i was holding the line up as it is. :-D

You should have added you knew about the sandcrawler from a secret place called eurobricks :-D

yeah, i was going to ask out loud but i knew he wouldn't have given me a straight answer in front of everyone.

I was there at SW weekend. he had never heard of FBTB but he said they look at lugnet. the designer was Hans Zimmerman. there were alot more questions asked but some were by dumb parents whose kids play with SW legos. someone had the nerve to ask "what is ultimate collector". There were also questions asked that he couldn't just answer so he would say,"wait for 2006" and repeatedly stated that they are going to be sets on ep.3,4,5,and 6. After he answered the questions out loud he sat down at a table and signed autographs and answered more questions one on one. I went up and asked if the set he refered to that hadn't come out yet could be the sandcrawler? all he did was smile and winked. that was enough for me, since he designed it. so for all you guessing, YES, it is the sandcrawler and has 1700+ pieces. he said that 2006 is going to be there big push for SW, at Lucas's request. i asked about ep.1 and 2 sets and he said there not planning on it but you never know. we can, however, look forward to new figures we havent seen including ones that havent come out in flesh-tone yet,and there going for more detail in them. also, the Ultimate Space battle set w/ obi-wans starfighter, is supposed to a Target exclusive. my last question was if Lego will be re-newing their contract w/ SW. he said,"hopefully, because of the TV series coming out. But it all depends on if the shows are aired in Europe. if not, then lego probably wont". i would have asked a ton more but i only had so much time, i was holding the line up as it is. :-D

thanks for that update, Bricks0937

looks like we've got some more "high priority questions", like: will TLC-Lucas get a new license?; what is going to happen with the tv-series? i think we should watch that story with the eyes of a hawk... i'm surprised to hear that 2006 will be the big push, even tho the last film will be gone by that time...

a big push sounds logical : they don't know if they will renew and they can"t finish in 2007 with a lot of stocks. 2006 will be the final act :-D

a big push sounds logical : they don't know if they will renew and they can"t finish in 2007 with a lot of stocks. 2006 will be the final act :-D

you're right. that makes sense...

ohhh wow im so excited i cant wait to see what comes out next and i cant wait to see the sand crawler in july a month after my b-day wahooo this is awsome news *curls into ball in a corner rocking back and forth*