Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2017 Pictures and Rumors

I'd be disappointed if the scale wasn't basically minifigure scale. I don't really care if it has an interior. Since my stuff is for display and I never really display interiors I don't care. I'd take one but if it sacrifices too much of the outside I'd probably me Lego-angry.

Anyways, I hope it's true. I really want to see it. If the outside is roughly minifigure sale (and I can fit Chewie and Han in the cockpit and sit them side by side, as well as characters squishily standing in the back) then I'd be happy. I'd buy two. Maybe three lol. The cost is a lot but I'd spend some savings on this set. However, I'm not going to get my hopes up because this rumor happens every single year and we have this conversation every single year... 

EDIT: I also want a cockpit that is shaped right. Most Lego Falcons aside from the old USC have that prolonged, too long, piece. It sucks. Make a new mold that is shaped right or do it like the original big set did.

Edited by BrickG

I don't really care for an interior although it would be cool. I would like to have the set be the same size as the previous UCS Falcon, but it could be smaller. I am ok with it being a bit smaller, but I prefer it to be minifigure scale. It would be extremely difficult to put in an interior at a scale like that though.

I am sure that there will be a new mold for the cockpit if it is true. They made a new windshield for the Slave 1 and the Snowspeeder so I don't see why they can't do the same thing.

This interview with legos chief marketing officer whose remit includes heading up product development as far as I'm concerned confirms it.  When asked point blank about a re release of the Falcon she says 'possible' but the body language and he fact she could hardly conflation herself was a tell tale sign.

http://www.brickfinder.net/2017/03/15/julia-goldin-confirms-possible-lego-ucs-mf/

If this new UCS Falcon is significantly smaller than the previous one, It'll be a bit of a bummer to be honest. Hope the LEGO designers stay true-to-size, or close to as the previous.

I don't think the size will be reduced. The last one was designed to be minifigure scale. If they released one that wasn't, at a higher price, some people  would be asking questions.

18 minutes ago, mattmarsden said:

Is the consensus that we are getting a re-design not a reissue?

That depends on what you mean by "reissue".. One can only re-design a falcon in this scale so many times. The previous one was pretty much spot on design-wise. 

But the UCS falcon is from another era, back when interior designs were only just emerging(look at the modular buildings for instance) I have a hard time imagining lego designing a model at this scale today, without making an interior design.. Thats just my thoughts...

1 hour ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I don't think the size will be reduced. The last one was designed to be minifigure scale. If they released one that wasn't, at a higher price, some people  would be asking questions.

The reasoning could be "but we're giving you an interior this time round". However, if it's going to have a hefty price tag, id be inclined to say it'll be the same size as its predecessor.

Another thing I just remembered; they can't really make it smaller without throwing the cockpit proportions off. Because LEGO doesn't do odd-studded parts, It's either what they had on the last one or what they give system scale Falcons.

Also, I think everyone's just assuming it'll be a full interior. It could be just a partial interior, e.g. In one part of the ship just under one of the pannels. Look at this photo. Moving some of the structural support around could give a decent area for an interior section. All they really need to give us to satisfy a lot of people is the area with the Dejarik board.

There's no way of fitting an interior into a 10179 without severely weakening the structure, rendering it far too weak to be a saleable model. That's unless LEGO do some kind of halfway job and just put some interior details into the available space (which isn't much), rather than a proper interior. 

Even if they somehow did it, you'd be looking at somewhere in excess of 6-6,500 parts, the Death Star is over 10p per part in the UK and has nowhere near the amount of large plates and technics parts the Falcon has. A Falcon with that many parts would be £650-£750 and how many would LEGO sell at that money? 

Surely it's going to be smaller, accurate, full interior, cockpit tunnel etc. ~5,000 parts and £500 is my guess.

Edited by NorvernRob

On 4/7/2017 at 5:08 PM, RetroInferno said:

Brickpickers must be shitting bricks right now. Thanks a million for the info!

For the last few years, 10179 has been a set to build. 

I think the many AFOLs who paid 'dearly' for this one to build are the people who will be getting hit hard.  Hopefully, it won't be another 10188 - 75159 remake debacle. 

Edited by jaisonline

You'd think/hope that Lego would let the designers have a go at redesigning it with all the new pieces that are available these days. So if it's just a re-issue then that would be disappointing. I'm not that bothered about an interior, but for something so big, I'd rather have something structurally sound than something to look at on the inside. 

With the Death Star it's about not fixing what's not broken. Structurally, playset designs haven't changed much over the past few years.

However, the internal structural design for spaceships has come a long way since 2008. I have old sets that fall apart at the touch of a finger, especially when transporting them around, or even during play. I don't own the original UCS MF to know this for sure, but given the advent of so many new pieces and Lego's improved internal structural designs, I'd wager that there'll be significant improvements to the UCS MF's structure that increase its sturdiness and hopefully also allows for more interior space.

On 08/04/2017 at 11:11 AM, Markalus said:

No way they are going to reveal the next UCS set before the Snowspeeder is released. It could hurt sales if people decide to pass on it to save for the rumoured $600+ one.

So what you're saying is that people not buying a $200 set so that they can buy a $600 to $800 set = lost profit?

Edited by Magmafrost

25 minutes ago, Magmafrost said:

So what your saying is that people not buying a $200 set so that they can buy a $600 to $800 set = lost profit?

'You're' just repeating what I was saying, but yes. Not everyone has an unlimited budget for Lego. Not lost profit for TLG per se but I would argue the MF is on another level in terms of desirability. Thus, it might influence the purchasing decision of someone who is on the fence for the UCS Snowspeeder. I would include myself in that category. As you are well aware it's not $200 and $600-800 in our neck of the woods either, it's $340 and $1000-$1400 respectively, neither of which most people would consider small change. Your mileage may vary of course.

Not interested in a interior just something detailed [Exterior] and same size as last UCS. Price tag not to concerned about lets just get it right. Also I just saw a video on you tube about Lepin coming out with a UCS Venator that resembles the one from Anio, 

19 hours ago, legolandia said:

I think we need to bear in mind that statements like these are based on assumption rather than actual numbers from research. :classic:

A set like this is not meant for the "vast, vast majority of consumers". At all. This is 100% a collector's set and rightfully so. As such Lego don't have to do anything at all special. In fact they dont even have to build an intricated interior. Most of the buyers would be happy for this set to include just the famous room where the characters were playing dejarik. As well as the cockpit. And that's it. Absolutely nothing else. Zilch. Nada. That's all the collectors would need. and it would sell like hotcakes even at $800. This set should not be made for playing. It should be made for displaying. And very likely under custom made perspex or glass dome. :wink:

I for one wish this set is designed with the collectors in mind and comes with a matching price tag.

You want it? Can you afford it? Do you realise its artistic value? Then buy it.

Otherwise, sorry but tough luck. You can't please them all. Even if Lego tried. All you have to do is look at this thread. There's always someone here that will whine and whinge for every set Lego has made. Sorry to sound so tough:grin::classic:

I think you're misconstruing a niche market that's been vastly inflated by profiteers as "demand."  They didn't do any special for 10221 and it was reflected in lack luster sales.  Yet now since it's been discontinued people try to sell NIB ones for $800.  That's not true demand.  Simply remaking 10179 and throwing in a few extra pieces is not going to sell well at $800.  Any die-hard fan willing to pay $800 for a UCS falcon can just bricklink their own, complete with any custom upgrades they want.  Obviously some people would buy it no matter what because it's a collector item, but that's not the business model Lego operates under.  They like to make money.

I hope they do some updates on the figures for the UCS millennium falcon. Especially for the price range that is expected for it.

Edited by Franklinw1234
Yes I meant UCS, not the University of Southern California

Hmmm I think the hype behind the old set might actually fuel some extra sales for the newer one (if the rumors are true). Also, correct me if I'm wrong but Lego's AFOLs have been increasing a bit, which also might fuel more sales. When the thing comes out you just know it'll be on the front page of Reddit. I think if anything the old UCS Falcon has gotten a LOT more popular since it's fire, slightly troubled release. I think a lot of people who missed out on it will save for it. And I also think a HUGE thing going for it is the new movies. Star Wars is more on people's minds than it's been since the prequels and not in a bad way like in those prequel days XD.

If Episode 8 does well I think the set will sell pretty well despite the price.

12 hours ago, Magmafrost said:

So what your saying is that people not buying a $200 set so that they can buy a $600 to $800 set = lost profit?

It's not just about lost profit, but lost hype. People have been clamouring for a UCS MF for years. The new UCS Snowspeeder would get easily overshadowed if a UCS MF were announced before the Snowspeeder was released.

12 hours ago, Markalus said:

'You're' just repeating what I was saying, but yes. Not everyone has an unlimited budget for Lego. Not lost profit for TLG per se but I would argue the MF is on another level in terms of desirability. Thus, it might influence the purchasing decision of someone who is on the fence for the UCS Snowspeeder. I would include myself in that category. As you are well aware it's not $200 and $600-800 in our neck of the woods either, it's $340 and $1000-$1400 respectively, neither of which most people would consider small change. Your mileage may vary of course.

What Im saying is that if someone cant buy both the snowspeeder and the falcon, its in Lego's best interest that they chose the falcon. Not to mention its in the best interest of the consumer to know about both before making a descision. Wouldnt you be a little bit very annoyed if the falcon is announced and you cant buy it because you bought the snowspeeder earlier?

Speaking as someone who bricklinked the UCS MF, I'll be more than happy if/when Lego re-releases this set. There is a distinct difference in the accomplishment one feels when building a complete, off the shelf set and building a set that was pieced together one by one. Each is rewarding in a very different way and only those that have done so will be able to relate.

Big thanks to Stash2Sixx for the info. I'm cautiously looking forward to Sept/Oct. :)

16 hours ago, Aethersprite said:

However, the internal structural design for spaceships has come a long way since 2008. I have old sets that fall apart at the touch of a finger, especially when transporting them around, or even during play. I don't own the original UCS MF to know this for sure, but given the advent of so many new pieces and Lego's improved internal structural designs, I'd wager that there'll be significant improvements to the UCS MF's structure that increase its sturdiness and hopefully also allows for more interior space.

Agreed. All those brackets & technic parts inside sets these days, they're very hollow. Lightweight & sturdy. Partial interiors should be easier now.

2 hours ago, Magmafrost said:

What Im saying is that if someone cant buy both the snowspeeder and the falcon, its in Lego's best interest that they chose the falcon. Not to mention its in the best interest of the consumer to know about both before making a descision. Wouldnt you be a little bit very annoyed if the falcon is announced and you cant buy it because you bought the snowspeeder earlier?

Scenario 1: crap! A Falcon? I just bought a snowspeeder, I can't afford it right now, I'll have to save up and get it a bit later!

Scenario 2: wow, a Falcon? Forget about the snowspeeder I was about to get, I need to keep my money for this!

2 hours ago, Magmafrost said:

I would be over the moon if TLG announce a new UCS MF, regardless of whether I had already purchased the UCS Snowspeeder. Like Artanis I said above, I would be in the scenario 1 category. In all likelihood I would find the money from somewhere for day 1 purchase. But, if not, I would save until I did. Scenario 2 is not in TLG's best interests as it may cannibalise sales. Have they ever officially announced a future UCS set before the imminent release of a 'current' one? I doubt it.