Sorry if this is quite obvious to others but could you tell me where the input and output axles are on the gearbox as well as in which order they are engaged in?

In post #46 the gearbox is explained in more detail. The gearbox in post #58 is just the barebones version of the inner workings.

In post #46 the gearbox is explained in more detail. The gearbox in post #58 is just the barebones version of the inner workings.

Thanks, I didn't see that post. I built the barebones you showed in #58 and I'm so impressed by how compact it is!

Can't figure out how you connected the tooth as well as the rod to the actual shifting paddle.

Care to explain?

Can't figure out how you connected the tooth as well as the rod to the actual shifting paddle.

Care to explain?

The tooth is connected to this piece: 10197.jpg

This piece is then connected to 2 4L thin liftarms. At the other end of these liftarms is a balljoint with axle. The rod is connected to the balljoint. I hope this is clear enough.

We are now after Porsche all crazy in sequential paddle gear shifting as I can see... ;)

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

The tooth is connected to this piece: 10197.jpg

This piece is then connected to 2 4L thin liftarms. At the other end of these liftarms is a balljoint with axle. The rod is connected to the balljoint. I hope this is clear enough.

Thank you, puzzled me.

We are now after Porsche all crazy in sequential paddle gear shifting as I can see... ;)

Max

Yes, I like to build a car with a decent shifting mechanism, and this looks very promising :-)

Hi,

After a short detour with the Porsche contest and a lot of sorting (I finally took apart my Liebherr carrier) I had the time to build the chassis and add some bodywork to it:

27664120910_a09fc8eeef_b.jpg

The chassis works like a charm. I intended to make the central column integral part of the chassis to add stiffness and rigidity to the chassis and that really does the job. Despite it's size it feels solid like a rock.

The flappy pedals do work, but the construction is a bit too flimsy. You have to make sure you do not bend the steering column otherwise the gear switching goes awry. I have used an extra 90 degree limiter in the backside (I used a variant of Didumos' his contraption he used in the Porsche mod to ensure the gear selectors are always at 90 degrees). Also I found out that you shouldn't put 3 knobwheels in a row, the slack will almost certainly make the wheels jam. So instead I have used 3 16T gearwheels. It means the alignment of the gearwheels is not foolproof. However, since I do use 90 degree limiters on both ends of the gear switching mechanism, the error can never be more than 1 teeth, if at all possible. So all in all the chassis turned out pretty well in practice.

I am not happy with the looks though :cry_sad:

27942943315_f7f916b04c_b.jpg

The doors are just big chunks of white that lack the finesse and curvyness of the real thing. The front grille is just off and the hood is looking fat instead of sleek. And the front wheel arches don't have enough of the round line they should have. In the big gaping hole above the rearwheels the new fenderpiece of the Porsche should come, so that will look better than it does now.

I also have to think about the way the roof is reinforced, currently I only use some flexaxles to get the shape about right (also that is just off), but I'd like to have a more rigid internal structure. Ideally strong enough to lift the model just by holding it by the roof.

Suggestions for improving the bodywork are much appreciated.

I agree about the front - it is instantly recognizeable. Not much room to improve it. It really looks like Aston. As for the doors, I keep my fingers crossed that you will find a way to improve it.

Good job with the progess!

The front is very nice indeed,... dont think its to bulky,. Maybe something what you did with your Porsche would suit this model, i was very charmed by the full flexcable body and you seemed to kept that quite simple for your doing.

I woke up this morning with this idea for the doors in my head:

27909993121_c34c3c1e31_b.jpg

And I managed to make the doors swing slightly upwards when opening:

27953245156_0b651f3e48_b.jpg

What do you think? Better, or still too massive?

I think it's better, but I don't like the gap between the door and front fender... The size isn't a problem, I think the profile looks beautiful and the size of the wheelbase looks just about perfect.

Also about the front, I think the bottom air intake is too big relative to the main grille. In the real car its about the half the size but in the model they seem about the same size. Also if you can find a way to make the top of the main grille square, that'd be perfect :)

Looks great. I think that combination of panels on the doors is as close as you're going to get to the real deal. The overall look of it on the side, with that rigid hose+system bricks below it included looks very close to the real thing. The little gap between the panels is a pity, but I doubt it can be filled without the filler looking out of place?

@sm1995 I think the door attachement point is a quick mockup for the door. Jeroen will probably fill up that gap later.

I agree about the grill with sm1995. While the whole front does have that Aston vibe, the bottom air intake is a bit too high compared to the real life version.

I understand that some choices had to be made because Lego has its limits. Going by this image of the DB11, the place where you put the white soft axle at the front of the grill should be at the height of the centre of the wheel? Yours looks like it is 1 stud higher? The bottom black soft axle lines up perfectly with this panel as it does on the real life model so I don't think messing with that makes it better, but maybe that white soft axle can move a little? Just an idea, I wouldn't do this any better than you have already. Good job.

Edited by Appie

I like new doors concept. Will you make it orange? I assume 42056 has most of the parts needed and I will buy it only to build this beauty.

Will it have HOG steering?

Thank you all for the constructive criticism and positive feedback.

I think it's better, but I don't like the gap between the door and front fender... The size isn't a problem, I think the profile looks beautiful and the size of the wheelbase looks just about perfect.

Also about the front, I think the bottom air intake is too big relative to the main grille. In the real car its about the half the size but in the model they seem about the same size. Also if you can find a way to make the top of the main grille square, that'd be perfect :)

The gap between the door and the frame is temporary. I'll close that when I am happy with the doors.

The bottom intake is indeed too big...

Looks great. I think that combination of panels on the doors is as close as you're going to get to the real deal. The overall look of it on the side, with that rigid hose+system bricks below it included looks very close to the real thing. The little gap between the panels is a pity, but I doubt it can be filled without the filler looking out of place?

@sm1995 I think the door attachement point is a quick mockup for the door. Jeroen will probably fill up that gap later.

I agree about the grill with sm1995. While the whole front does have that Aston vibe, the bottom air intake is a bit too high compared to the real life version.

I understand that some choices had to be made because Lego has its limits. Going by this image of the DB11, the place where you put the white soft axle at the front of the grill should be at the height of the centre of the wheel? Yours looks like it is 1 stud higher? The bottom black soft axle lines up perfectly with this panel as it does on the real life model so I don't think messing with that makes it better, but maybe that white soft axle can move a little? Just an idea, I wouldn't do this any better than you have already. Good job.

It is funny how each picture of the DB11 is showing different ratios between different sections :sceptic: . But the air intake is definitely too high. In fact the whole bonnet is one stud too high I think, except for the curves above the wheels. So there is some redesigning to do to lower and flatten it... This might also reduce the 'fat' look of it...

I like new doors concept. Will you make it orange? I assume 42056 has most of the parts needed and I will buy it only to build this beauty.

Will it have HOG steering?

Thanks. At the moment orange is indeed the intended colour. Even though it is a bit too flashy colour for this car in real life I think. Unfortunately the 11x3 curved panels only come in weird colours like bright green, purple and orange. I think I will use those in the roof as well. Furthermore the fenderpieces will fit nicely at the rear I think and those are also only available in orange.

Depending on the final door configuration you will need extra panels on top of the ones from 42056.

At this moment I have no HoG planned.

Please, add the HOG. Don't make it a standard that a model has no HOG. More and more builders are joinning this new thing, resulting in practically unplayable models.

Hi,

Another update. In between traveling for work, vacation and a reshuffle of multiple rooms in our house (including moving the lego room) I found some time to implement the moving headlights as suggested by Appie. Here is a video of the operation:

I also managed to lower the bonnet with one stud. The bonnet is now really hugging the engine beneath it, just like the real thing. I also made some progress on the bodywork (after I shot the video, so not visible there), but I am still not happy with that :hmpf_bad: , I just can't seem to get that sleek look...

Does anyone know how far the lego LEDs stick out to the back when they are inserted in a technic hole? I'd like to enable the addition of LEDs, but I don't have them myself. I now have one stud between the higher & lower front light, but I am not sure that is enough to enable the rotation of the lower lights.

Jeroen

Does anyone know how far the lego LEDs stick out to the back when they are inserted in a technic hole? I'd like to enable the addition of LEDs, but I don't have them myself. I now have one stud between the higher & lower front light, but I am not sure that is enough to enable the rotation of the lower lights.

Jeroen

LEDs sounds good! They stick out by 8mm (1 stud).

Looks pretty sweet, I like the new bonnet too. Am I seeing it correctly that the headlights go centre>outside for each and that both won't go full left or right? That's cool. When I had the idea I was just thinking in all my lack of knowledge: both turn left and both turn right, but this looks more authentic. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Appie

Looks pretty sweet, I like the new bonnet too. Am I seeing it correctly that the headlights go centre>outside for each and that both won't go full left or right? That's cool. When I had the idea I was just thinking in all my lack of knowledge: both turn left and both turn right, but this looks more authentic. Keep up the good work.

That's indeed how the lights move. I have finally swallowed the ridiculous price for these LED's and ordered them...

I hope they're worth their price...

In the meanwhile the body is starting to work (pictures will follow), but those pesky doors are still not too my liking :(

Another difficultpuzzle are the rear lights. If any anyone has a suggestion how to capture their shape...?

Those rear lights are going to be tough. They have a very thin profile for Lego elements to replicate. A little artistic license may be called for ������ Good luck!

Edited by Boulderer

Hi,

After some (way too) intense LDCAD work a first view of the entire model in its proper colouring is starting to appear. Current parts count is ~2200 parts in 130 (main) steps, but interior seats are still missing. Even so, I might end up a piece count that is comparable to the Porsche amazingly enough... I have been able to add a HoG for the steering (there you go Lipko :classic: ) and a HoG for the gear shifting (inspired by Didumos work on the Porsche modding). I also added the aeroblade spoiler in the rearhatch, allthough I still have to figure out a way to operate it, while still being able to open the hatch... (coupling it to the gearbox is too daunting for me I'm afraid :cry_sad: ).

The roof is not right (too high and looking at the photo on the first post also in the wrong colour, but we first need those 3x13 curved panels in black... Are you listening LEGO???), but I already have an improved version IRL. Funnily enough lowering the roof finally solved my issue with the doors. They seem to be more in balance with the rest of the car now.

Other issues to be solved are the front wheels (I'm afraid they will hit the fenders behind them when steered), the rearwheels (they are now just inside the wheelarches and I need a bit of extra space at the inside for these ridiculous wide tires... a half stud offset would be ideal, but that will be tough to make...) the routing of the cables for the lights (those connectors are amazingly huge and unwieldy and don't get me started on those cabes!! :tongue: ) and the seats (I have a bit of a writers block for designing them, I keep postponing it :blush: ). Oh and I have to check whether the added bracing on the steeringcolumn will make the flappy pedals work better (but for that I need to take apart the whole model and build it up again with the new parts of the Porsche, that I still don't have, and really don't think it is worth it's money :sick: )

Anyway, enough rambling from my side, here is the view of the car so far:

28283292583_76baa64e67_b.jpg

Comments and critique are welcome as usual,

Jeroen

looks great but I dont like the 3L beams stacked holding the wheel arch axle, and would a 3x13 panel fit on the hood? other then that its awesome.