Looking sleek! Cant see the bottom part of the side skirt from this angle, but for now, it seems great!

It looks great already and it's good to see that this wip is still alive. As for the challenges you're still facing, that's the real fun of Technic, at least for me it is, endless tinkering and redoing things untill its good.

I was wondering, did you use the 90 degree limiter or did you come up ith another way to make 'perfect' shifts?

2 hours ago, Meatman said:

Do you have any video of the gearbox? I am interested in how it works.

I do not have a video, and it will be difficult to make one to explain how the gearbox works now it is in the car. However a few pages back I tried to explain the working.

5 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

It looks great already and it's good to see that this wip is still alive. As for the challenges you're still facing, that's the real fun of Technic, at least for me it is, endless tinkering and redoing things untill its good.

I was wondering, did you use the 90 degree limiter or did you come up ith another way to make 'perfect' shifts?

I agree on the tinkering part. But with a model this size the turnaround time for changes can become quite long, especially if I have to touch parts that are buried inside the chassis. So I expect it will take some months before I have solved all the open issues.

I actually use three different limiters. One is the one you invented for the Porsche with some minor adaptations to fit, that is used to limit the 4 speed part of the gearbox. Then I use a simple limiter (basically a rubberband that forces a bimodal position for the yellow lever) for the 2 speed gearbox and finally I use a limiter (a round wheel pushed into a knobwheel, like I used in my BMW Hommage) near the paddleshifters to keep the knobwheel for the paddleshiftingmechanism aligned. Come to think of it, I might try to remove that one though, I only put that in in case there was too much slack in the system...

I have tried to close up the bonnet a bit more, to make it more consistent with the rest of the paneling on the car. As a byproduct the bonnet has become a bit more rigid, which is good. But I feel it has also become more cluttered with all these little 2x5 panels...

Alternatively I could try to lighten the paneling on the rest of the car (more in the style of 2000's years with flexaxles for shape and a few panels for substance, like the bonnet was until now).

Let me know what you think...

31228334351_9c65fcc4a7_b.jpg

14 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

I have tried to close up the bonnet a bit more, to make it more consistent with the rest of the paneling on the car. As a byproduct the bonnet has become a bit more rigid, which is good. But I feel it has also become more cluttered with all these little 2x5 panels...

Alternatively I could try to lighten the paneling on the rest of the car (more in the style of 2000's years with flexaxles for shape and a few panels for substance, like the bonnet was until now).

Let me know what you think...

I really like the revision. Very clean and very true to the real car. I am excited to see this car get completed!

In general the shape is good. I am really liking this so far.  However from the angle of the latest picture I am not sure about the central panels which leave some strange shaped gaps.  Appreciate that a smooth curved bonnet is so hard to create with technic though.

12 minutes ago, Pvdb said:

In general the shape is good. I am really liking this so far.  However from the angle of the latest picture I am not sure about the central panels which leave some strange shaped gaps.  Appreciate that a smooth curved bonnet is so hard to create with technic though.

The interesting thing is that the more panels are added, the more pronounced those gaps become... They weren't bothering me when the bonnet was still open, but the more the bonnet got filled up, the more visible they became. Apparently our eyes/brain are better at filling large gaps surrounded by a few flowing lines, then at filling small gaps surrounded by panels.

Since I am also stIll unhappy about the doors I might give the rest of the bodywork an overhaul to a more open paneling style...

46 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

The interesting thing is that the more panels are added, the more pronounced those gaps become... They weren't bothering me when the bonnet was still open, but the more the bonnet got filled up, the more visible they became. Apparently our eyes/brain are better at filling large gaps surrounded by a few flowing lines, then at filling small gaps surrounded by panels.

I agree with that. Let´s say a good compromise between the gapless style your Alfa was made and your Porsche consisting only of contours made of flex axles, the other extreme - is very hard to achieve. And I dislike the 42056 Porsche even more - the new panels don´t make things easier for a smooth gapless appearance, it´s the opposite - too many false compromises to be made.

Maybe you could save the bonnet with this minor change: what if you move the soft axles near the central panel 1/2 stud away and put in a straight parallel? And IMO they shouldn´t overlap that panel.

I personally think it's a little busy on the bonnet now too. I think the perfect bonnet is somewhere between this version and the first. I think if the baby panels were replaced by 2 soft axles it would look alot better. I rather like the panels above the wheels, especially from that angle since they match the headlights shape and it was pretty empty in that space in the first version.

I like either style (panel or skeleton soft axles) or a mix, so I eagerly await the result.

I'm a bit late,  but what a good looking car :blush:!

About bonnet,  I prefer the previous version. As other said, those extra panels creates weird gaps and shapes. Also seems like the small panels are not fixed hehe :wink:

About redesigning the body work, sounds like a good alternative, the only concern is how a less paneling styke would look with the wheel arches. I mean,  and as Bruno said,  the new panels  don't make things easier.

Another possibility is - and correct me if it couldn't work - using a black chassis instead LBG to "hide" the gaps  and emphasize the orange lines of the previous bonnet. it's something that you can notice in the Pagani Huayra by Francisco Hartley 

I personally like more panelling than open holes but it needs to look like it belongs.  That addition does not really look like it belongs.  I think a #5/#6 panel would look good; too bad it doesn't exist in orange.

On 11/29/2016 at 7:29 PM, Meatman said:

Do you have any video of the gearbox? I am interested in how it works.

On 11/30/2016 at 0:34 PM, brunojj1 said:

+1

Here you go:

The top 2 shifters are a 4 speed gearbox with slightly changed gearratios. The lower shifter is the high-low shift that automatically kicks in when the top moves from 4 to 1 or from 1 to 4. At all ratios one of the gears of the top 4 is engaged and one of the gears of the bottom 2. The drive-neutral-reverse switch is in the center column (where the reverse is always at a fixed ratio comparable to 1st gear). If you have any questions, just ask.

Thanks! Not to be critical, but theoretically you could save 2 knob gears, right? But sure you have your reasons to make this compromise - gearbox placed perfectly around the diff, everything works smoothly and you have 8 gears - fantastic!

7 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Thanks! Not to be critical, but theoretically you could save 2 knob gears, right? But sure you have your reasons to make this compromise - gearbox placed perfectly around the diff, everything works smoothly and you have 8 gears - fantastic!

Hmm, interesting thought... I can see I can save one knobgear i theory (move the left most knobwheel 4 studs up and thereby eliminate the one it currently engages with), but I can't see how to save the second...

Still, room for optimization, thanks for pointing out :classic:

1 hour ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Hmm, interesting thought... I can see I can save one knobgear i theory (move the left most knobwheel 4 studs up and thereby eliminate the one it currently engages with), but I can't see how to save the second...

Still, room for optimization, thanks for pointing out :classic:

Wouldn't you get into trouble with the correct orientations - 45 degree vs. 90 degree - of the knob gears if you do that? Or am I misunderstanding something?

1 minute ago, Didumos69 said:

Wouldn't you get into trouble with the correct orientations - 45 degree vs. 90 degree - of the knob gears if you do that? Or am I misunderstanding something?

You are right. That'll teach me answering questions while I'm just awake...:sick:

Also on the other side there are some axles in the way as well, it all fits snugly now.