Electricsteam

Going Nuclear!

RLHIIhc.png?1

H0vBrj1.png?1

I thought making something a bit atomic this time around!

It looks like poop! It doesn't look too well :tongue:

The atomic style is pretty neat, either smooth and streamlined or haphazardly flimsy looking!

I dunno I was thinking something atomic powered! Instead of compressed air..... (Maybe I've been playing too much fallout)

Anyways can y'all find me some things for inspiration!

LN69XRT.png?1

gUEdgE4.png?1

uTg9K0h.png?1

qfI141z.png?1

Edited by Electricsteam

Theoretically, you can use a basic steam engine for an atomic powered train. You would replace the coal or wood or oil fired boiler box with a nuclear reactor. The heat from radioactive decay would be used to heat water to make steam. The tender can hold more water as you don't need wood/coal/oil. If you want to get fancy, you can replace pistons with a turbine that drives an electric generator. Then you can have an nuclear-electric engine. :classic:

A spectacular video about Union Pacific's 'planned' nuclear turbine train on Dale Angell's spectacular Toy Man Television channel on YouTube:

EDIT: Oh and at the 2:30 mark you can see he has an HO model of the engine I've been building on LDD... I'm so jealous.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Theoretically, you can use a basic steam engine for an atomic powered train. You would replace the coal or wood or oil fired boiler box with a nuclear reactor. The heat from radioactive decay would be used to heat water to make steam. The tender can hold more water as you don't need wood/coal/oil. If you want to get fancy, you can replace pistons with a turbine that drives an electric generator. Then you can have an nuclear-electric engine. :classic:

True but I wan't it to stand out instead of another steamer :tongue: Like something you see on the front of popular mechanics!

Welp time to enter the nuclear age in.... style(?)

mpwDfdY.png?1

V6XaXEx.png?1

5fwyLDR.png?1

Probably not how a nuclear reactor works in reality but it looks like it would stand out..... Hmmmmm How bad would green LED's look in this train..... Anyways what do y'all think of the boiler so far!

Wait, Doc, are you telling me...that this sucker is nuclear?

That locomotive sure looks like the wackiest thing I've seen. The boiler looks a bit to high placed. Maybe something under the boiler could make The gab less noticeable.

8IRdhDs.png?1 (edit picture too big)

How about that and the XL drivers! Hmmm would it be weird to have some sort of condenser/radiator on the front and some sort of "firebox" All the part are able to be purchased so far and I hope to keep it that way.

Edited by Electricsteam

A bit more work on the locomotive..... Hrmmmm The front isn't turning out how I imagined..... Welp back to the drawing board!

9ptoVm1.png?1

QHsycd8.png?1

KO58EY6.png?1

Some of my own complaints :P

JW5lzSI.png?1

DNRzb95.png?1

How about now!

Once I got the cab built I really like how it all fleshed out!

I stuck the reciever where the fire box would be, I'll just throw the motor and battery in the tender.

Hey I got the tender done too! What do yall think!

IYDU7E3.png?1

yLpc4Qz.png?1

kPkP5Ax.png?1

Yeah triple bump is bad but hey it's done!

Hmmmm what else could I make nuclear powered........ Might need to make my own waste wagons.....

I'm never going to have a normal train am I? :tongue:

Edited by Electricsteam

Looking awesome, and I'm sure the health and safety inspectors will give it a glowing report as this train is da bomb! :grin:

As for making "normal" trains: why would you want to do that? Buck the trend and take the path less traveled: you never know where you'll end up! Even if it looks bad to you, someone else out their is struggling with some elements of a similar design you've figured out already. You never know when one man's trash is another one's treasure, or it might lead to something even better for you later. Like the old Lego slogan: Just Imagine... :thumbup:

Edited by Murdoch17

Looking awesome, and I'm sure the health and safety inspectors will give it a glowing report as this train is da bomb! :grin:

As for making "normal" trains: why would you want to do that? Buck the trend and take the path less traveled: you never know where you'll end up! Even if it looks bad to you, someone else out their is struggling with some elements of a similar design you've figured out already. You never know when one man's trash is another one's treasure, or it might lead to something even better for you later. Like the old Lego slogan: Just Imagine... :thumbup:

Heh I really just want at least one normal steamer with a valve gear. I was going to make a 0-8-0 using the medium but I got a little side tracked :P I need to figure out how to power these train using a normal motor and not the bogie.

That tender looks cool!

But the nuclear nerd in me wants to know what fuel would a tender carry for a nuclear train. Uranium wouldn't need all that space (not that it would be fueled on the run either...). Water would be a natural choice, keep the reactor cool and what not. But what else could be in there... A small diesel motor for yard moves? Dynamic braking? Haz-Mat equipment?

Ah I'm over thinking it!

Hmmmmm I might need to scavenge some more fusion cores for the next project.... How about a water and coolant tower?

Edited by Electricsteam

Might as well make a proper topic for my atomic train!

IYDU7E3.png?1

Based off of those snazzy streamlined art deco trains of the past!

yLpc4Qz.png?1

The tender probably holds mostly water and coolant!

Time to put the backgrounds into use again !

kPkP5Ax.png?1

qbMN70j.png?1

JAsIbDK.png?1

The train is motorized with PF and uses the XL BBB drivers!

I had lot of fun working on this project and I think I'll work on making orders for the bricks!

On to the next project!

Looks even better with a backdrop! You know what you are missing though? A quirky yet epic name like those from the 1950's, like the GM "Aerotrain", or the Ford "Galaxy".... maybe something connected to the color scheme / incredible speed? Like "Atomic Lightning", or "Nuclear Streak". (like a play off of the Silver Streak of 1930's movie fame?) What about instead of the Train of Tomorrow (like the Aerotrain's tagline), it could be called "An Atomic powered tomorrow... today!"

Also, have you though about your engine being a fusion (hydrogen) powered loco, instead of fission with (plutonium and uranium)? you would need storage for the hydrogen, but no nuclear waste!

Edited by Murdoch17

Hey Travis I think I undertood how you wanted the wagon of the Nuclear wast car to be! Considering how heavy those tanks must be a heavy duty truck would have been needed.... Mine is a tad... rough but you get the idea.... Even if it looks more like missile silos....

ThEgJgu.png?1

Speaking of missile.... Would a nuclear missile/rocket wagon be frowned upon?

Edited by Electricsteam

Speaking of missile.... Would a nuclear missile/rocket wagon be frowned upon?

The Soviets and/or Russian military had/have them, so I doubt it.

Ah there's an eight axle system!

Yes do a nuclear missile car! The US tryed developing those cars, but it didn't really get off the ground. However the program was enough to inspire Lionel to make an O scale Nuclear Train Toy, where select boxcars would flip open and launch a foam Minuteman missile.

KxnCGP9.png?1

nkiAyT2.png?1

wNTYFD0.png?1

Not exactly nuclear... more tubular! Anyways here is another "world of tomorrow" style train!

I don't see this train being too track worthy :grin: