Have to agree unfortunately, available for all of 5 mins in the Aussie section of the Lego online store with shipping from 6/6 then 30 days now out of stock. My order says "Waiting on new stock" and has done since the 2/6, my C/card also no longer says pending so can only assume it's not coming... :cry_sad:
I've been once charged almost two months later after placing an order. S@H is known for being inconsistent, so I wouldn't worry much about your credit card stuff.

Picked up the set from the Lego store in Glasgow (Buchannan Galleries). They had a couple of boxes left on the shelf. The staff said it's quite popular and they get deliveries every few days once they sell out.

Also got this month's freebie - the creator fountain set. They had some parrots left over from last month and they gave me one of them too.

Have to agree unfortunately, available for all of 5 mins in the Aussie section of the Lego online store with shipping from 6/6 then 30 days now out of stock. My order says "Waiting on new stock" and has done since the 2/6, my C/card also no longer says pending so can only assume it's not coming... :cry_sad:

I had mostly the same problem. Ordered some smaller things plus the Porsche. They have shipped the smaller things, charged my credit card for them, but removed the hold. Rang tlg and they say it is still coming. I will be patient. I've got no choice.

The Porsche 911 is retailing for €269 in South Africa (after currency conversion) but is out of stock for now.

Australian Lego shop is now showing stock expected in 30 days, rather than just out of stock. So new people can now join the queue of dissapointing.

Dutch S@H says the same. So expected delivery is 2 weeks before the normal shops get this set. I personally like this, because I wasn't a fan of the whole "Lego store exclusive for 2 months 330 euro inflated price" crap here in Holland. 2 weeks is fine.

It also said that same thing on the dutch S@H on the 1st of this month. That also happens to be when I ordered the set. At this point I don't know what to expect anymore. If I go by what the site said first, it could be before the next month. But I doubt that now.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I am going to bring this subject up again. The initial intent of this post was to demonstrate that the pricing of the Porsche, while perhaps its absolute price is high, its relative price is not out of line with other large Technic sets. It did so by using data (price per piece) with certain strengths and weaknesses.

Now that the set has been officially released we have another piece of data. Overall weight. Now…. I will obviously get a lot of flack from others for using this metric to measure LEGO value for an obvious reason: overall weight is going to include the weight of booklets, packaging, etc. Got it. Fully aware of this. Naysayers who use this point against the data I present below please be aware I am fully conscious and aware of this fact.

Truth is, however, overall weight might be one of the best metrics we have in trying to determine what the price of a LEGO set will be based on limited data. I personally have looked quite a bit at the relationship between number of bricks and the cost of LEGO sets versus the weight of a set and its price. The latter beats the former across various time periods (1990s versus 2000s, 2000s versus post-2010, etc.) and different LEGO genres (City, Technic, Star Wars, etc.). It is a way to measure how much LEGO one is receiving. LEGO is not completely synonymous with ABS. Believe it or not, the packaging etc. is all part of a set and therefore needs to be factored in. Perfect metric? Absolutely not. A good one, debatable, but perhaps one of the better ones we have.

Technic set 42056 weighs in a whooping 5007 grams. Perhaps it has fewer pieces than the AROCS, and NO PF (motors etc. weight a lot) but it is certainly meatier (or at least the whole package) (about 500 grams meatier). So where does it lie on the continuum of weight and price? Right where it should. Below is a graph that shows where it lies in comparison with the sets that I presented at the beginning of this thread:

14659271591_DISPLAY.jpg

The Porsche set is the dot that lies right at the very top, far right, the 300 mark (USD, vertical plane). What we really are really looking for here is the amount of space that the dot is from the straight line. This is the amount that the set deviates from all the other sets in terms of its price relative to its weight. The line is where, on average, a set’s price should be relative to its weight. If it is above the line it is more expensive than other sets and if it is below…. well you get it. As can be seen, there are several sets that sit higher than the line, even higher than the Porsche set does (Volvo Loader, 8043, 9398, and new heavy lift helicopter). What this means is that they are priced higher than 42056 relative to their weight.

All in all this is limited data, I know. It is also nothing overly sophisticated….actually very basic. Done simply in Microsoft Excel. But what it demonstrates is that we now have another data point in which the pricing of the Porsche set at least appears to fall in line with other large Technic sets. Sure, perhaps you are paying for something that you feel is not worth it (the booklet and packaging) and I totally respect that. But the argument that one is getting less for one’s money is not objectively supported. Subjectively – perhaps… because what one is “getting” varies from person to person. Some value packaging and a booklet, some do not. Some still value the set (the actual ABS pieces) itself despite its flaws, and some do not. But all that is a debate on the relative value of the material. In terms of ACTUAL material (ABS and packaging, booklet, etc.), the Porsche set appears in line with other large Technic sets.

This is flawed

42056 box weights 4.8Kg and that is including the book. What is next putting rocks in the box and paying them at Lego parts price?

You are building the statistics to support your point of view. Not objective at all.

This is flawed

42056 box weights 4.8Kg and that is including the book. What is next putting rocks in the box and paying them at Lego parts price?

You are building the statistics to support your point of view. Not objective at all.

Yikes! Sounds like a very rash conclusion - especially because there may be some lack of fact-checking on your end. :sick:

Don't kill the messenger here. I really am just reporting data. The figure of 5007 came from Bricklink. This was about 1.5 weeks ago. Now it is listed as actually 5020 grams. Sources are likely to differ a bit..... so don't be surprised if there are small differences. If it is really more like 4.8 Kg - then I stand corrected. But BL arguably is a fairly good source of information. Can I ask where exactly your figure of 4800 grams is coming from? I assume from Jim's review? If you would read carefully, Jim even comments that this is an approximation.

Be careful to not fall victim to your own accusation of "building statistics" :classic:

Yikes! Sounds like a very rash conclusion - especially because there may be some lack of fact-checking on your end. :sick:

Don't kill the messenger here. I really am just reporting data. The figure of 5007 came from Bricklink. This was about 1.5 weeks ago. Now it is listed as actually 5020 grams. Sources are likely to differ a bit..... so don't be surprised if there are small differences. If it is really more like 4.8 Kg - then I stand corrected. But BL arguably is a fairly good source of information. Can I ask where exactly your figure of 4800 grams is coming from? I assume from Jim's review? If you would read carefully, Jim even comments that this is an approximation.

Be careful to not fall victim to your own accusation of "building statistics" :classic:

I think your analysis is reasonable. The weight of the package is a good indicator of how much "stuff" you are buying from LEGO. Yes, much of the weight of 42056 is the manual, but that is certainly part of the stuff you are buying, and there is no doubt that they put a lot of work into it. Many of the users of this forum would seem to prefer to buy ONLY the parts and skip the rest, and this is probably not surprising of adult fans.

Weight differences aside this set is completely out of average due to the 1.3Kg of manual weight . That alone is about 1/4 of the full package.

The manual as nice as it might be isn't comparable in cost -and that includes editorial, design, print, and bind processes- to parts costs if you use weight as the metric. So in my opinion any statistic based on weight will be flawed by definition.

Any added value the buyer may give to the manual is completely subjective.

Anyways a 911 hardcover book can be found from a couple euro to a few hundreds, but isn't hard to find nice onces for 30€ and that is way better than what is in the box.

I understand the set is something Lego never did before, looks amazing and has many pros, however no matter how much attractive that makes the set, the pricing isn't fair. If that's something AFOLs will deal with and get it anyways, is another matter. Sure many will rationalize it just to feel comfortable enough to buy it... even with flawed gear box, after all fixing it is part of the fun even if that is not the point.

Do you think they really went out of stock and are under manufacturing pressure to make more sets or more likely fixing the packaging (book damaging boxes) or even the wrong gear sequence in the manual?

Maybe all of the above. We won't know for sure without insider information. Where are our AFOL spies? :wink:

Weight differences aside this set is completely out of average due to the 1.3Kg of manual weight . That alone is about 1/4 of the full package.

The manual as nice as it might be isn't comparable in cost -and that includes editorial, design, print, and bind processes- to parts costs if you use weight as the metric. So in my opinion any statistic based on weight will be flawed by definition.

Any added value the buyer may give to the manual is completely subjective.

Anyways a 911 hardcover book can be found from a couple euro to a few hundreds, but isn't hard to find nice onces for 30€ and that is way better than what is in the box.

I understand the set is something Lego never did before, looks amazing and has many pros, however no matter how much attractive that makes the set, the pricing isn't fair. If that's something AFOLs will deal with and get it anyways, is another matter. Sure many will rationalize it just to feel comfortable enough to buy it... even with flawed gear box, after all fixing it is part of the fun even if that is not the point.

I am going to practice what I preach here and challenge my own theory that 42056 is not out of line in terms of other large set's price.

Weight of the Porsche's booklet is listed @ around 1350 grams. The Arocs, which has more or less the same amount of parts, is listed at 950 grams. that is 400 grams right there, and overall the differences of the total weight of the Arocs and Porsche is ~500 grams.... with at least (and likely more) 100 grams more dedicated to the inner boxes, specialized packaging, etc. So, (although this may have appeared to be common sense to many, I prefer numbers to intuition) we can probably accurately surmise that the additional cost is wrapped up in packaging and the booklet.

So if your claim..... above... is accurate then yes, the pricing is off, because the costs associated with the packaging and booklet are well under those associated with the actual production of the ABS used in the model. The question remains however - how do you know this? I have no inside knowledge of the matter, you very well could be right. But what is your source? I can see the production of the book being just as expensive as the costs associated with the ABS. Perhaps not in terms of the actual paper, printing costs etc. but think of the costs associated with gathering all the guys together for their....hmm... "model shoots" This type of photography is entirely expensive. Moving equipment around, all the people's time that might have fairly expensive salaries to begin with, etc..... I don't think that the costs associated with the booklet are entirely quantifiable with simply considering paper, etc. -- Perhaps you and others don't value all these factors, and as I said initially I respect that... makes sense, but that does not mean a problem with the pricing structure of the model ---- just you don't value what the set has to offer. Completely different things here.

Today bought at SCS Wien, ohh yeahhh... :*

They got many of it there. So hurry up!

received_272461016443380.jpg

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

I have also been in SCS Wien last Friday, and bought myself a treat .... yeeey ...

... and they had this cool stand for the Porsche ... on one side there was a book and pictures of the model, and on the other side built Porsche 911 ...

20160610_183341.jpg

20160610_183342.jpg

20160613_104747.jpg

20160613_104813.jpg

20160613_105020.jpg

20160613_105032.jpg

... and yeah, they had plenty more Porsche's on the shelves ...

And here I am in VIetnam, checking Ebay and Amazon every day to see if there is any $300 deal, and finding only $400 - 500 ones.