Sign in to follow this  
Col. Whipstick

Portuguese flags for your creations!

I did actually manage to finish these off yesterday but decided not to post them so people could firstly appreciate the Spanish flags. Each flag has presented it's own problems and the Portuguese ones are no exception. Whilst one doesn't have a ratio problem adapting these to lego the detail of the Portuguese coat of arms, always present on the nation's flag is highly detailed and it's been ages playing around to get the maximum detail into a small and confined programme whilst still hopefully having the coat of arms simple enough to look good and be printer friendly. Also this is probably the one of the big five where I haven't really produced what is the contemporary flag of Portugal. The red and green flag we all know only dates back to 1911 so really isn't present during Portugal's colonial history though the shield has remained a part of the design for a long long time. The flag has changed in a minor capacity many times during the individual reigns of Portugal's king's and queens and this presented the problem of exactly which flags to chose as there are several. I've picked three which are about as different from each other as they get and span the largest time period but you may find because of design purposes that I have fused one or two of the original flags into the design of one of mine. Nonetheless I feel content that we have flags to use with lego Armada forces and distinguish them from the Spanish. I think with the addition of these flags people will be more tempted to print out the different torsos and now have the ideal way to represent individual nations.

For more history on the flags of Portugal visit:

Flags of Portugal (wikipedia)

lego_portugese_flag.gif

lego_portugese_second_flag.gif

lego_portugese_third_flag.gif

Nice job with all these different types of flags.

These are really helpfull. I especially like the last portugese one. *wub*

And you also provided me with a nice royal french flag for my frigate *sweet*

Thanks man :-)

Edited by Errorist

Thanks for your cool work :)

Ah, well it's nice if someone who's Portuguese is happy. I notice you are relatively new to Eurobricks, what type of lego are you interested in, the pirates forum is a great place for Portuguese representation as it's a little too English, French and Dutch here.

You're doing a good job with these flags Col. Whipstick!

But we really do need someone to come along and clean up those jagged edges because they do lower the quality of these flags.

You're doing a good job with these flags Col. Whipstick!

Maybe bonaparte can sumarize all this flags in another index?

Andreas

That would be a good idea.

In the redesign of Classic-Pirates.com we should have a Custom Flag page. But I'm only comfortable offering flags on the website so long as they are fully anti-aliased.

*sweet* Nice work !! Very cool job, I love your flags... *y*

What about pirate flags...? ;-)

Trust me, I have loads of flags planned but they are very time consuming and my priority was getting the big five done. I need to look into fixing the edges on these first and thereafter I'll get to work on more.

You're on a roll with these things I see!

They are very good, but it's a great shame about the pixelated edges. Have you thought of using another program? I believe something called paint.NET would work quite the same as paint but without those jaggered edges.

You're on a roll with these things I see!

They are very good, but it's a great shame about the pixelated edges. Have you thought of using another program? I believe something called paint.NET would work quite the same as paint but without those jaggered edges.

Guy's, I'm looking into it... I have a problem with disk space at the moment and can't download any of these programs or free up disk space at the moment but I will solve this as soon as I can, otherwise the option is open for another to try this.

Ah, well it's nice if someone who's Portuguese is happy. I notice you are relatively new to Eurobricks, what type of lego are you interested in, the pirates forum is a great place for Portuguese representation as it's a little too English, French and Dutch here.

Normally I don't create Pirate MOCs. I have a few (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=56263) that are already on the classic-pirate lists.

I linked this to the portuguese forum (http://forum0937.miniancora.com/index.php?topic=2704.0) and they had received the idea very well :)

Rupi is also a portuguese guy that have some pirate creations and normally use Eurobricks.

Edited by LBaixinho

Even if I'm not much of a pirate guy, I must say that your decals (torsos and flags for what I've ssen till now) are always great and very neat in the design *y*

Keep up the good work!

Maybe sometime I'll take my pirates out of their box and give them some MOCs, too :-P

LuxorV

Yay, Portuguese flags! (It's my nationality)

These look great. My favorite would have to be the one from 1839-1910 *sweet* !

Trust me, I have loads of flags planned but they are very time consuming and my priority was getting the big five done. I need to look into fixing the edges on these first and thereafter I'll get to work on more.

Have you downloaded Illustrator yet?

Really it's in best interest to do so because designing things in Illustrator is 1000 times faster than in Paint.

For example, if you want to change the colour of something all you need to do is select the object and click the colour you want. It doesn't need to be a solid shape and it changes colour in a second while retaining the anti-aliasing.

I'll even setup a template for you so all you need to do is focus on the flag design.

Have you downloaded Illustrator yet?

Really it's in best interest to do so because designing things in Illustrator is 1000 times faster than in Paint.

For example, if you want to change the colour of something all you need to do is select the object and click the colour you want. It doesn't need to be a solid shape and it changes colour in a second while retaining the anti-aliasing.

I'll even setup a template for you so all you need to do is focus on the flag design.

Have tried downloading it 3 times this evening without success, keeps finding errors. I will be getting a new laptop soonish as this is antique, perhaps there's some problem with the system requirements. Mr Tiber has kindly offered to do the conversions if you can get in touch with him though is just a short term answer and when I am technically capable I can see more flags right through.

Yay, Portuguese flags! (It's my nationality)

These look great. My favorite would have to be the one from 1839-1910 *sweet* !

Everyone seems to be in agreement, it has the most character, pity that by that stage the Portuguese empire was in decline so it's not the ideal one for the 'Golden Age' Portuguese sets but then one can always cheat and use it. And as you are Portuguese Imperial Scouts I expect to see these flags in use sometime soon from you :D

Edited by Col. Whipstick

Good work *sweet*

When/ if I need flags from my country I know where to get them.

Thank's.

...as a portuguese AFOL, and a "pirate" fan, congratulates you and your efford, and thanks you for putting this here, available to us all! :-$

*y* THANKS MATE! ;-)

...as a portuguese AFOL, and a "pirate" fan, congratulates you and your efford, and thanks you for putting this here, available to us all! :-$

*y* THANKS MATE! ;-)

My pleasure, the Portuguese flags seem the most appreciated of them all. Hope to see the flags in use soon.

I have to write something in this thread because I'm in Portugal currently :-) .

Our Master Index builder Mr. Phred will take care of indexing the flags once the problem with the pixelated edges is worked out. But I think you are doing a great job with these Mr. Whipstick *y* .

I have to write something in this thread because I'm in Portugal currently :-) .

Our Master Index builder Mr. Phred will take care of indexing the flags once the problem with the pixelated edges is worked out. But I think you are doing a great job with these Mr. Whipstick *y* .

*Scratches head, flicks though his history books* Nope, nope, I thought I was right. What are you doing in Portugal Bonaparte? I thought we'd stopped you at Spain. Bugger, you must have invaded while me and Welly were out drinking last Thursday! *wacko*

That was a good destraction move last thursday ey?

I believe we can take these flags down and raise the French! :-D

Again nice work Coronel!

Edited by Captain green hair

That was a good destraction move last thursday ey?

I believe we can take these flags down and raise the French! :-D

Again nice work Coronel!

Bugger that, there's no way I'm letting him take over Portugal. Did you know that the alliance between England/Britain and Portugal is the oldest in the world, dates back to 1373 and during the entire span of European colonialism even though these two were on each other's doorstep in Africa there has never been a war between them whereas every one has fought everyone else atleast once.

I hope Wellington can still rally his forces with that hangover!

Edited by Col. Whipstick