Murdoch17

1930's streamlined 4-8-2 steam locomotive & passenger train

A good friend of mine inspired me to build this loco after showing me a hover train from a TV show he watches. I changed it to reddish brown and then ran with the idea from futuristic hover mono-rail to 1930's streamlined Mountain-type steam loco. Other than the hover train from Legend of Korra, this model is not based on any specific prototype, though it bears resemblance to the South Australian Railway 520 class 4-8-4, and the Pennsylvania Railroad T1 Duplex type.

43977158225_70f644685c_z.jpg

This 4-8-2 steam locomotive is actually mostly already built in real life from a disused streamlined model I have lying around, all I have to do is fix the tender and build the cars, since the original cars I had for the engine are being reassigned.

43077014430_26f78c96a1_z.jpg

The tender is supposed to have "WANDER LINES" as the railway name in printed 1 x 1 tiles and 6847 on the engine's cab walls... but these printed parts are sadly not in LDD.

43977158365_cf3d346aec_z.jpg

The Combination baggage and passenger car, which I call an "express baggage", though it is actually called a combine in real railroad slang.

43977158395_80c8ebf2dd_z.jpg

These three identical coaches were practically copied from my dark green Emerald Express train-set models, but are remade in brown, black, and tan to match the steam engine.

43977158525_b9d7229a25_z.jpg

This observation car features a rounded rear end, in a stylized homage to the Santa Fe Super Chief series of sets.

Comments, Questions, and complaints welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

This is such fun!

Thanks! Since opening this topic, I have discovered the front bogie wouldn't swing correctly, so I modified and update the file and pictures.

Wow! Great job! And might I add, your friend has good taste in TV shows.

Thanks! I haven't yet told him the praise that this loco is getting on various sites (EB, Flickr, Facebook, etc.) but I'll be sure to pass them along as soon as I see him!

EDIT: added new ldd files and pictures to the first post.

Edited by Murdoch17

That looks cool.

Is there room for PF features?

Like most of my engines: no. But you could rig a 9v motor to the tender, though.

Thanks for stopping by though!

Edited by Murdoch17

Nice I like the shape of that locomotive.

However I feel that the carriages are a bit short. Somehow it doesn't feel like it has the right proportions.

I think it should use curved grey slopes instead of angled ones. It needs something to fill that grey gap at the front, maybe a corner 2x2x1 roof slope.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Murdoch17,

This reminds me of the Chesapeak & Ohio No. 490 streamlined locomotive that I saw a number of years ago at the Baltimore & Ohio museum in Baltimore, MD. It is a 2C2 (4-6-4 Hudson) arrangement so slightly different than yours. But swap the colors around and it speaks the same feel as your design. Otherwise you have a very simple yet strong model. Somethings the bigger challenge can be not to provide more detail but to simplify. You did and excellent job here.

I am slightly torn by the lower blue band on the cars|wagons|carriages. Perhaps red with additional grey accents be more fitting? (Okay red with peal silver and more smoothing would make this a streamlined beauty... but there also goes the price tag.)

3D LEGO

Nice I like the shape of that locomotive.

However I feel that the carriages are a bit short. Somehow it doesn't feel like it has the right proportions.

Thanks, I'm working on better passenger cars as we speak.

I think it should use curved grey slopes instead of angled ones. It needs something to fill that grey gap at the front, maybe a corner 2x2x1 roof slope.

I've already got that worked on by way of a suggestion by SavaTheAggie over on Flickr: he said it might be a good idea to put a 1x3 tile wedged partway at the end of the right-side-up slopes directly above the sideways inverted slope. (part no. 4871) If that's too confusing I'll update the pictures if you want.

Murdoch17,

This reminds me of the Chesapeak & Ohio No. 490 streamlined locomotive that I saw a number of years ago at the Baltimore & Ohio museum in Baltimore, MD. It is a 2C2 (4-6-4 Hudson) arrangement so slightly different than yours. But swap the colors around and it speaks the same feel as your design. Otherwise you have a very simple yet strong model. Somethings the bigger challenge can be not to provide more detail but to simplify. You did and excellent job here.

I am slightly torn by the lower blue band on the cars|wagons|carriages. Perhaps red with additional grey accents be more fitting? (Okay red with peal silver and more smoothing would make this a streamlined beauty... but there also goes the price tag.)

3D LEGO

I didn't think of that, but to me it also bears resemblance to the 4-8-4 South Australian Railways 520 class (this type: https://en.wikipedia...lways_520_class ) Also, i am working on replacement train cars better suited to the streamlined style.

EDIT: does this look better?

25693974554_a9e0821ec4_z.jpg

The coaches you see are heavily modified versions of my "Spirit of Legoredo" passenger train from 2012. When built in real life, these originally black-with-a-red-stripe cars will be destroyed to build these newer, more colorful versions. The rear of the train features a wrap-around rear window and a specialized tail light.

Edited by Murdoch17

Murdoch17,

Hum... The version 2 coaches most certainly look good and are an improvement. I had not thought of the black and red combination but you did a really good job with keeping the styling. Well good luck on the building!

By the way, that Australian locomotive you mentioned reminds me of a Pennsylvania T1. Oh well, here we go around in circles!

3D LEGO

interesting shape of the locomotive.I like it!

Thank you!

Murdoch17,

Hum... The version 2 coaches most certainly look good and are an improvement. I had not thought of the black and red combination but you did a really good job with keeping the styling. Well good luck on the building!

By the way, that Australian locomotive you mentioned reminds me of a Pennsylvania T1. Oh well, here we go around in circles!

3D LEGO

Thanks, and actually, that SAR loco from down under's styling was inspired by the PRR T1! Round and round we go, where it stops....

Edited by Murdoch17

26400044331_8b42272414_q.jpg

LDD file and pictures updated for the engine, which now is a coal burner and has a open cab with interior details.

The blocky, imposing front on this locomotive is very cool! Also, that monorail locomotive inspiration from The Legend of Korra is a very interesting design, something I know @LegoMonorailFan would be most interested in. :wink:

latest?cb=20150409193514

38 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The blocky, imposing front on this locomotive is very cool! Also, that monorail locomotive inspiration from The Legend of Korra is a very interesting design, something I know @LegoMonorailFan would be most interested in. :wink:

latest?cb=20150409193514

Thanks for the feedback! This engine was modified into it's current built form seen here, though I've just updated this old post with new info. Thanks again!

Edited by Murdoch17

Amazing! I love steam trains over any kind of train and this train looks like something that would look really good in a winter village display or in a fall display. :classic:

On 6/19/2017 at 7:11 AM, xxix5 said:

Amazing! I love steam trains over any kind of train and this train looks like something that would look really good in a winter village display or in a fall display. :classic:

Thanks! You should really like this picture here then:

35039756160_8c35951780_z.jpg

Just completed the last part of my streamlined steam trinity. First built was the War Baby 4-8-4 Daylight / Southern Pacific 4460, then my custom 4-8-2 Mountain type steamer, and finally my 4-6-4 Dreyfuss inspired Hudson. These are not all my steam locos, or even all my streamlined locos (I have a GM Aerotrain, a couple other early diesels and a GG1 electric), but they are all my streamlined steam engines. Also, each engine has it's own matching passenger consist.

3 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Just completed the last part of my streamlined steam trinity. First built was the War Baby 4-8-4 Daylight / Southern Pacific 4460, then my custom 4-8-2 Mountain type steamer, and finally my 4-6-4 Dreyfuss inspired Hudson. These are not all my steam locos, or even all my streamlined locos (I have a GM Aerotrain, a couple other early diesels and a GG1 electric), but they are all my streamlined steam engines. Also, each engine has it's own matching passenger consist.

AMAZING! These are REALLY nice models and they should be turned into LEGO sets ASAP!!

8 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

These all look just great, I really like the front end of the black Southern Pacific locomotive!

I was just looking at past topics you posted for the GM Aerotrain and couldn't find where you've posted it. Perhaps I just missed it?  

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

These all look just great, I really like the front end of the black Southern Pacific locomotive!

I was just looking at past topics you posted for the GM Aerotrain and couldn't find where you've posted it. Perhaps I just missed it?  

Here you go: Aerotrain link I just found it, and it wasn't up to date, so i updated it for you!