Hello everyone,

I present you another motorized and remotely controlled hot rod – Black coupe.

My goal was to make mid-sized model with realistic suspension and working engine.

Regarding size and functions it is somewhere in between my models “Fire bucket” and “Lucky 13”.

Dimensions: 41 studs long, 19 studs wide, 13 – 14.5 studs high and weighs 804 g.

PF components: 1 L motor - driving, 1 M motor - steering, 1 8878 battery, 1 IR receiver

As you all know, with motorized creations, it is always a problem to place PF parts so they don't influence overall appearance of a model. In my previous hot rods, I used place under the false engine to put PF motors and as a result, false engine had to be higher than in a real car. That was a little bit frustrating but I didn't see any other option. So with this hot rod, I wanted to avoid that at any cost. Some compromise had to be made so I decided to use just one L motor for driving (accepting the fact that it won’t be very fast) and to put it under the driver’s seat. M motor for steering is placed next to it, under the passenger’s seat. As a result, smaller custom made V8 engine is placed lower on the chassis - right where it would be in a real model.

25611707673_40729c812a_z.jpg

Other functions:

Working suspension - I wasn’t 100% satisfied with the suspension of my previous hot rods (they worked but weren’t realistic enough) so I really wanted to make improvement in that area. Development of the front solid axle and rear live axle, leaf spring suspension (with all the links and dumpers) was, at least for me, most important and most challenging part of this model (considering the scale).

Front: solid axle, leaf spring

26234031515_ecf5fcbc68_z.jpg

Rear: Height-adjustable, live axle, leaf spring

25631378403_409fa080a7_z.jpg

Working steering wheel – drag link steering

Development of the small custom V8 with moving parts (working pistons, radiator fan and a generator) was the most satisfying part of this build

25631344983_50f311e8d2_z.jpg

Working door handles – openable suicide doors

Trunk door can be opened – behind it is a mechanism for adjustment of rear height of the vehicle (manually controlled gear) and battery (easy to turn on/off and charging). Roof can be removed easily

26167786301_8e16750ea7_z.jpg

Retractable rear license plate – controlled with a fake handbrake lever inside the cabin

26209171511_b4852fd405_z.jpg

I just love this function, I had it already on my Lucky 13, but for this build, I wanted it to be controlled from the cabin (driver's seat) for more realistic appearance.

Features:

Custom chrome parts – wheels, headlights, radiator grill, door handles and rear view mirrors

Interior – red seats and dashboard

26168468351_405355714d_z.jpg

I hope you'll like it, please comment and tell me what you think :sweet:

More photos: http://www.flickr.co...157666582891052

Edited by sm 01

Your hot-rods always impress me, great job again!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks guys! :sweet:

Looks great, how did you make the suspension adjustable? Can we have an underside pic?

Suspension is adjustable just for the rear part of the vehicle - it is simple manual mechanism with worm gear...

I'll take more pics later today and share it here. :classic:

This model is fantastic. I really love the detail and the curved back looks great! :thumbup: I'd like to see the suspension too.

Edited by Chade

Trunk door are made out of the liftarms which are connected with 7L red soft hose axels - more clearly visible in this photo:

26148080271_d4eee6dd4c_z.jpg

Soft hose axles are bendable and they keep curved shape to a certain extent, that’s way trunk door remains curved even when they are opened.

26208125746_1e6ca88289_z.jpg

As for the rest of the rear end of the car – it is underneath connected to the rest of the body so upper part can be curved. This will be more clearly visible in the photo of the underside – which I will hopefully take later today.

I hope this was helpful. :sweet:

Thanks! :classic:

Here are more detailed photos of the adjustable rear suspension mechanism that I promised to make:

25984708080_c6b0273f91.jpg

and the license plate mechanism:

26231636576_41cf29d92a_z.jpg

Love the licenseplate mechanism, didnt even notice it. Gives it a real bootleg feel, great detail!

As European I´m not so familiar with Hotrods in general. But you did a great job on this - it looks very cool and features nice manual / RC functions. Mostly I like the custom fake engine :thumbup: !

Thank you guys so much for all your kind words! :thumbup: It really means a lot! :sweet:

For the better inside view, here are some photos of the chassis (body is easy detachable - connected to the chassis in 6 points)

26249512896_aac92e7df2_z.jpg

26249504536_ab8a566c2d_z.jpg

26002569060_ff2827260e_z.jpg

Edited by sm 01