Ordinareo

The LEGO Batman Movie

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

They introduced A LOT of new pieces for the villains in this line. 

I think these designs will be around for a while. 

Who knows, maybe the batman movie line will be around for a couple of years. That would be why some of the villains are missing like Crazy Quilt, Killer Moth, Gentleman Ghost, Clock King, Condiment King and Hugo Strange.

Hush and Ventriloquist are more problematic because they don't appear in the film. But we know LEGO made designs for them. So, there is still a chance they will appear.

Mad Hatter does exist in the LBM universe but he was not even designed as a minifigure (as far as we know)

Other villans like Black Mask and Ra's Al Gul have been completely ignored.

R'as Al Ghul I find really surprising.. As well as Deadshot and Deathstroke... They have existing models, why not use them? They even changed Killer Moth. What do I know... Seeing it in less than hours!!! 

So I personally loved the movie a lot. Batman is what got me into comic books and super heroes, but more importantly it was LEGO Batman that did that all those years ago. The movie held up to all my expectations and it is easily my favourite Batman film because I know I might get a lot of hate but I've never understood all the hype surrounding the Dark Knight... Anyways this movie was astounding and absolutely incredible! I've been looking at reviews and thing online and everyone is comparing this to TLM and saying how it wasn't as good as it blah blah blah. I think it was a completely different movie, and what a lot of people are making the mistake of saying is that this is a sequel, which it most certainly is not but many, MANY reviewers have called it that. 

I personally enjoyed the fact that there was no "real world" element in the movie. Although they kind of referenced it with the infinite abyss of nothingness and the plates underneath cracking which they're referring to a table. I really liked that it was a Batman film and that the real world element was not redone, making it something special and unique for TLM. 

2 minutes ago, Ashnflash said:

Reveal hidden contents

I personally enjoyed the fact that there was no "real world" element in the movie. Although they kind of referenced it with the infinite abyss of nothingness and the plates underneath cracking which they're referring to a table. I really liked that it was a Batman film and that the real world element was not redone, making it something special and unique for TLM. 

Agreed. So glad I was able to go to the premier in my corner of the world.

17 hours ago, Robert8 said:

They introduced A LOT of new pieces for the villains in this line. 

I think these designs will be around for a while. 

Who knows, maybe the batman movie line will be around for a couple of years. That would be why some of the villains are missing like Crazy Quilt, Killer Moth, Gentleman Ghost, Clock King, Condiment King and Hugo Strange.

Hush and Ventriloquist are more problematic because they don't appear in the film. But we know LEGO made designs for them. So, there is still a chance they will appear.

Mad Hatter does exist in the LBM universe but he was not even designed as a minifigure (as far as we know)

Other villans like Black Mask and Ra's Al Gul have been completely ignored.

Realistically they wouldn't even need "a couple of years"—even one more small wave of sets (like The Lego Movie got in 2015) might be enough to cover many of the other villains featured in the movie if the number of figures per set is similar to some of the existing sets (like the Riddler's Riddle Racer or Killer Croc's Tail-Gator).

I tought about opening a new thread to discuss the movie for people who already saw it, without spoiling for others

Spoiler

Things i didn't liked:

• Way too much rap and beatbox in awkward moments.
  • The final "idea" to keep the city together, felt kind of.. aritificial. Not very funny.
  • Italian dubbing of Barbara, but that's not their blame.

Things i liked:

• All the references to Batman history all the way to the first appearances
  • The "relationship" between Batman and the Joker
  • The bad guys.. Voldemort? :P The eye of sauron? The "british robots" ? LOL
  • The "merchandizing gun" LOL!
  • The cinema gags with Tom Cruise movie
  • All the awesome models in the movie
  • The movie in general

I know they're two different movies, but you can't not compare this one to the original Lego Movie. I feel i like TLM better. That was a movie about LEGO, made with LEGO by LEGO minifigures building LEGO models, the whole plot is about building LEGO. This one is much more a Batman movie. It could have been done in cartoon with minimal changes, and it would have been much the same thing. Consequently, when Batman "remembers" he's a Master Builder and start making MOCs with pieces around (just a couple of times in the whole movie), it felt kind of wedged in, IMHO, like "Oh yeah it's a Lego movie". It felt like being made in LEGO ended up being "superfluous", if i can explain myself.

That's not to say i didn't like the movie, it was super fun and a great superhero movie with plenty of comedy and references to the DC world (and beyond).

Model i liked the most:

• The huge classic looking batmobile in the final battle, that separates into three vehicles. Wow, i hope they make a set out of it.
  • The mech of Egg Head. I can't even remember it, it shows for really few seconds, but i rembembered i tought "wow that's a cool mech"
  • All the bat* stuff

So what's your opinions? :)

Edited by Captain Nemo
Merged topics/added spoiler tag

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Realistically they wouldn't even need "a couple of years"—even one more small wave of sets (like The Lego Movie got in 2015) might be enough to cover many of the other villains featured in the movie if the number of figures per set is similar to some of the existing sets (like the Riddler's Riddle Racer or Killer Croc's Tail-Gator).

I meant that it will take a while before the update the minifigures. 

I think they'll use the Batman Movie desings for a couple of years before, for example, introducing a new Poison Ivy. 

Like in normal DC sets. That's what I meant. 

Unlike the LEGO Movie, which was a one time thing, Batman is an evergreen theme. So, I don't think they will replace these versions of the characters any time soon.

Of course, this is just speculation

37 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I meant that it will take a while before the update the minifigures. 

I think they'll use the Batman Movie desings for a couple of years before, for example, introducing a new Poison Ivy. 

Like in normal DC sets. That's what I meant. 

Unlike the LEGO Movie, which was a one time thing, Batman is an evergreen theme. So, I don't think they will replace these versions of the characters any time soon.

Of course, this is just speculation

I don't expect the exact designs of the Lego Batman Movie theme to continue be used in the main Super Heroes theme, if that's what you're suggesting. Lego could very easily continue to use the new molds from the Lego Batman Movie theme on new interpretations of those same heroes and villains for Super Heroes or even on completely different characters or characters from other themes entirely. Few of the physical figure parts (besides perhaps Two-Face's partly melted hair) are so specialized that they couldn't be repurposed elsewhere.

This is a pretty big spoiler, so don't read this unless you've seen the movie!

Spoiler

So, after seeing Phyllis and the Phantom Zone I wanted to make a MOC of both. So, does anyone know what color Phyllis was? I couldn't tell if she was white of light bluish gray. Also, since the colors of her lights change constantly do you have any suggestions in which order to do them?

Edited by GentlemanJoker

I love this movie, I got all the references, even down the Alfred's costume being inspired

Spoiler

by Kato from the Green Hornet.

If you want to make the world a better place, you've gotta look at yourself and make a change. Hoo. -Michael Jackson -Batman

9 hours ago, GentlemanJoker said:

This is a pretty big spoiler, so don't read this unless you've seen the movie!

Hide contents

So, after seeing Phyllis and the Phantom Zone I wanted to make a MOC of both. So, does anyone know what color Phyllis was? I couldn't tell if she was white of light bluish gray. Also, since the colors of her lights change constantly do you have any suggestions in which order to do them?

Spoiler

I'd go with white. The greyish probably comes from the clouds of the Zone. As for Phyllis, probably best just to do her "default" two blue eyes. They only really change when she speaks.

I mostly enjoyed the film, but...

Did anyone else find King Kong and Godzilla to be poorly designed?

At the scale they were designed in they could have been so much better. They could have been magnificent structural highlights of the film, but instead they were bland and blobby.

5 hours ago, Actor Builder said:

I mostly enjoyed the film, but...

Reveal hidden contents

Did anyone else find King Kong and Godzilla to be poorly designed?

At the scale they were designed in they could have been so much better. They could have been magnificent structural highlights of the film, but instead they were bland and blobby.

Spoiler

That green monster was the Kraken from Clash of Titans.

5 hours ago, GentlemanJoker said:
  Hide contents

That green monster was the Kraken from Clash of Titans.

Oh. I guess you're right. The arms make more sense now, but my point still holds.

Spoiler

Saw the movie yesterday and, while I really like it, did anyone else feel like it went by too fast? By the time the credits rolled I felt like it had been just 30-40 minutes. Perhaps a second viewing will help...

52 minutes ago, legozebra said:
  Hide contents

Saw the movie yesterday and, while I really like it, did anyone else feel like it went by too fast? By the time the credits rolled I felt like it had been just 30-40 minutes. Perhaps a second viewing will help...

I kind of felt the same way. I don't know about you but I just didn't want the movie to end :grin:

5 hours ago, Ashnflash said:

Hide contents

I kind of felt the same way. I don't know about you but I just didn't want the movie to end :grin:

Spoiler

Yeah - same! It also may have been the pacing  - since everything was zipping by so fast, and the slower moments felt really, really slow, I felt like it was over before it even started. Definitely I'm going to see it at least two more times in theatres though to see if anything changes when I'm not spending the whole time scanning every microsecond for stuff I can spot.

On 4/2/2017 at 11:09 AM, legozebra said:

Wait - you're totally right! Ralph Fiennes is right there! Perhaps this plot thread was a late addition post-recording and they had to get a new actor...

Spoiler

Ralph Fiennes, Voldemort in the “Harry Potter” movies, voices Alfred in “Lego Batman.” This movie has an appearance by Lego Voldemort (Eddie Izzard). Was there any talk of getting Fiennes to voice Lego Voldemort?

[Fiennes] is great, and he’s amazing to work with. Yeah, at one point I wanted to do that and suggested it to the studio. For a couple of reasons we decided not to, but I think the main one was unless you’re gonna put Alfred and Voldemort in a scene together, unless you’re gonna do something with it ... it’s going to end up on the cutting room floor. I think that’s kind of the main reason why we didn’t do that. I think also J.K. Rowling was really generous obviously in letting us use Voldemort and Dumbledore in the first movie. I don’t wanna step on too much of what they’re doing.

Did J.K. Rowling have to approve Lego Voldemort?

Yeah, not on the cast, but just to show her the stuff we were doing, and she was super positive and really helpful and actually gave us spells that we should use. 

Source:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/heres-how-the-lego-batman-movie-got-away-with-that-one-joke_us_589df506e4b03df370d5f0ae

Here's an interesting video breaking down the concept art and scenes that made it into the movie. I didn't know that Chris McKay wanted to have the movie be a musical........ I'm very glad that it wasn't :sceptic:

My thoughts

Spoiler

Batman was kind of a jerk, so I didn't really care about him going to the Phantom Zone at the end. I kinda wanted him dead actually.

The whole Batman/Joker thing.... well I think they went too far with that. It was beyond creepy. 

My favorite part was when the Gotham villains came to help Batman. I wish they had more lines. My favorite is the Scarecrow :wub:

Overall:

If this is Finn playing... then kid has some major family issues

Edited by Robert8

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

My thoughts

Hide contents

Batman was kind of a jerk, so I didn't really care about him going to the Phantom Zone at the end. I kinda wanted him dead actually.

The whole Batman/Joker thing.... well I think they went too far with that. It was beyond creepy. 

My favorite part was when the Gotham villains came to help Batman. I wish they had more lines. My favorite is the Scarecrow :wub:

Overall:

If this is Finn playing... then kid has some major family issues

Especially if he's actually Batman in this story. An 8 year old kid adopting another kid.... 

As for the Joker/Batman relationship, I kinda felt the same way during the movie. But at the end I didn't mind it.