motomatt

[MOC] 1:17 Peterbilt 389 with tilting dump trailer

My construction equipment 42030 wheel loader and ultimate 8043 excavator needed a dump truck... but I figured a detachable tilting dump trailer would be even better. So here it is in orange and black.

800x600.jpg

Here is a video showing some of the operation

800x449.jpg

800x738.jpg

About a year ago I built my first MOC, a yellow and black Peterbilt with a liftable axle. Since then I learned how to improve many parts of it and I incorporated them in this model. This Peterbilt looks similar to the older one at first sight but has too many changes and updates to list.

800x600.jpg

I've got a custom battery box which uses eight rechargable AA batteries and the goal was to fit it all under the hood. The gear shifter activates the head lights, roof lights, tail lights, as well as a PF connector at the rear used to connect to the trailer.

640x436.jpg

More pics and instructions here http://bricksafe.com...tt/peterbilt389

http://rebrickable.c...black-and-orang

Very nice indeed! It appears that some of your improvements can also be applied to the tri-axle Pete as. How did you mod the battery box to hold 8 batteries? I've already added this to my build list.

Very nice! :thumbup: Like a grown-up version of http://brickset.com/sets/42023-1/Construction-Crew :grin:

I like all the details on both the truck and the trailer and the color combinations is something new. Are both rear axles of the tractor driven or only the first one? And is there suspension on the trailer (couldn't see). Too bad you couldn't fit double wheels on all three axles of the trailer due to the linear actuators.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

I'm very curious about the battery mod :classic:

I found that using six rechargable batteries (which have a lower voltage) produced slower rotation when driving one or two XL motors. So, adding two more AA batteries raises the output to 9-10 volts and results in more horsepower for the trucks :classic: It all fits underneath the hood.

IMG_1918.JPG

I like all the details on both the truck and the trailer and the color combinations is something new. Are both rear axles of the tractor driven or only the first one? And is there suspension on the trailer (couldn't see). Too bad you couldn't fit double wheels on all three axles of the trailer due to the linear actuators.

The color scheme came about since I already had a yellow/black truck, a red/blue/white truck, I thought doing something in orange would be a bit more challenging and unique... and black obviously goes well with orange. I usually just drive the forward most rear axle on my trucks since it's always on a flat surface. With one additional step you could drive both axles like a real truck.

http://bricksafe.com/files/motomatt/Custom%20Lego%20Peterbilt%20379/instructions/peterbilt379_rear_drive_axle.png

I did not even attempt to add suspension to the trailer. Before this, I created my trailers with suspension and so I thought I would do this one without any to see the end-result. Also, the first iteration of the dump trailer only had two axles. The bonus of squeezing an additional axle for a more realistic look came about when I shifted the geometry of the linear actuators and the dump trailer pivot point upon finding that I needed to provide a better angle to push the dump container upwards. Ideally the extra axle would be liftable... but that was a bit too much.

I think the biggest challenge of the build was to find a compromise between achieving the maximum raised angle of the dump container, and the ability to actually put any weight in the trailer to dump. The tilting dump container was constructed to be as light as possible. As it is, loaded with a pound and a half of cereal it's close to the limit of being able to raise up with two linear actuators. If it were loaded with sand or rocks it would not be able to go up. Of course, it would be nice to be able to utilize a giant 3D printed linear actuator and place it on top of the fifth wheel of the truck for more realism... like bricksonwheels display dump trailer.

Orange and black looks great, as do the renders. You definitely captured the feel of an American truck. I would suggest using sawdust (or animal cage bedding) for a play material instead of what I think is cereal. The sawdust doesn't crumble and has good dirt like characteristics while also being light weight.