Hopefully this is more entertaining and a bit not too serious.

A thought occurred to me few days ago as to whether any lego set can be rebuilt as a mirror image. Of course, all technic parts I know of have a plane of symmetry except for the worm gear and how the LAs work. Thus, making a mirror image model might flip the gear selector direction and other oddities. The thought quickly became more focused on how lego technic cars are released in the UK and other parts of the world. So, here is my first 'odd' question:

1. Are lego sets in the UK (and few other countries) released with the steering wheel on the right side of the vehicle?

After you've had a chance to answer, feel free to add you 'own' odd questions.

Have fun!

Edited by DrJB

No. But some AFOLs do modify their sets so that the steering wheel is on the correct side for their jurisdiction. You see people doing that with CITY sets too.

1. Are lego sets in the UK released with the steering wheel on the right side of the vehicle?

No. But some AFOLs do modify their sets so that the steering wheel is on the correct side for their jurisdiction.

Not only do I do this with real sets where possible (couldn't do it with 5893 without removing the PF winch), but I have been getting away with it in the LDD index for years.

That reminds me of a trip I took to Italy few years back. Needed to visit Fiat in Turin, and the only way they let you park inside (as opposed to outside) is if you rent a Fiat vehicle (there were no Maserati at the airport counter). So, I got this small (Punto?), it had the steering wheel on the left, but all the gages/indicators were in the middle of the dash. To me this was a big distraction as to check the dials you have to constantly move your eyes not just up/down but also left/right. It was beyond annoying it was (to me) not safe at all. So, I asked some colleagues who the genius was, who designed such odd interior ... and the answer was: we sell those cars in the UK as well, and we want the majority of parts to fit both left/right steering wheel. Thus, the dashboard had to be common/symmetric, and we had to put the dial gages in the center. What a smart ... err dumb cost-driven idea !

Edited by DrJB

I often wonder if Fiat hire their designers from outer space. That's the only explanation I can come up with for the Multipla.

It's no surprise that a quick Google image search returned no results for one of those things made out of Technic.

wow building a set in mirrored, that's a good idea. :laugh:

i think i'm gonna try to build 8109 mirrored. that set is not too big.

Have not found any French cars either (Peugeot 403 anyone?), except for the Iconic 2CV (by Nico?)

That reminds me of a trip I took to Italy few years back. Needed to visit Fiat in Turin, and the only way they let you park inside (as opposed to outside) is if you rent a Fiat vehicle (there were no Maserati at the airport counter). So, I got this small (Punto?), it had the steering wheel on the left, but all the gages/indicators were in the middle of the dash. To me this was a big distraction as to check the dials you have to constantly move your eyes not just up/down but also left/right. It was beyond annoying it was (to me) not safe at all. So, I asked some colleagues who the genius was, who designed such odd interior ... and the answer was: we sell those cars in the UK as well, and we want the majority of parts to fit both left/right steering wheel. Thus, the dashboard had to be common/symmetric, and we had to put the dial gages in the center. What a smart ... err dumb cost-driven idea !

Toyota did that too with the Echo, Saturn with the Ion and Nissan with the X-Trail. Those are the ones I can think of sold in North America.

Don't forget the Mini

My father was between it and another car at the rental and didn't chose it only because of the dashboard

I always modify the steering wheel to the right side after building the set and then just dissademble

Edited by LXF

Toyota Yaris also has the gages/indicators in the center of the dashboard, turned a bit to the side to be clearly visible for the driver. I'm familiar with that as my sister has one.

Speaking of mirroring, I did that with the cab on the 42042 when I built it, having the cab on the left side as that feels natural to me.

I also mirrored the gearbox setup on another 42042 body I made recently for a MOC.

Toyota Yaris also has the gages/indicators in the center of the dashboard, turned a bit to the side to be clearly visible for the driver. I'm familiar with that as my sister has one.

This is very common in the euro market, for the UK, Cyprus and also Japan and Australia. save billions of dollars in manufacturing and development costs.

In answer to the OP, the models are all LHD as designed but many (not all i believe) can be converted.

Also the original Wolkswagen Beetle was designed in a way, that a minimal amount of parts had to be changed between left and right sided steering. We still have a '65 Beetle and you can clearly see how its's done.

being from Australia - I always build every Technic car with right hand drive... just have to scan through the instructions, to start figuring out how early you have to start making changes..

for the 8880, it's VERY early, as you have to flip the front diff.. and the back one, as they are well-built/packed in.. and if you forget.. then some of the steering mechanism fouls the high side of the Diff.. and by then, it's very hard to pull apart!

But most other sets are pretty easy...

Isn't the easiest way to just mirror everything right from the start?

I recall the catalogue of 2012 release for Poland and some of the models did have the wheel on the "wrong side", odd was another thing that stickers if I recall were mirrorwed...

if you look in the cab of 42043, it has the steering wheel mount on both left and right side, not sure if it was intentional, or just simplified building, but its there.

if you look in the cab of 42043, it has the steering wheel mount on both left and right side, not sure if it was intentional, or just simplified building, but its there.

That's a very good point. The 'non-functional' steering wheel can be switched left-to-right easily, especially on the vehicles with only HOG steering, as is the case for most recent vehicles. Anyone recalls what was the latest vehicle where the steering wheel was functional? From memory, I'd say it was the 4WD off-roader 8466.

Originally being from Australia, where we have right hand drive vehicles, I would normally try to mirror the steering on Technic vehicles. When the steering is just a fake steering wheel, that usually isn't too difficult. When the steering is linked to the steering wheel, it is usually possible to mirror it, but you have to be careful to make sure you don't miss something while building.

However, there is one set that I remember that could not 'simply' be mirrored, due to the seat. That set is 8041 / 42041, which uses a Blue Technic, Panel Car Mudguard Right (see the first few pages of Book 2 of the instructions). To mirror this model, you would need the left version of this piece.

tn_42041_main_jpg.jpg 61070.jpg

The Porshe is going to be fun to mirror when it comes out so the steering wheel is on the right side!

Perhaps the oddest, "That's LEGO?????"

Well as I like to say:

"It's Technically LEGO" :wink:

Edited by hadidi1999

1. Are lego sets in the UK (and few other countries) released with the steering wheel on the right side of the vehicle?

Wherever possible I convert the steering so that it is on the 'Right' side :wink: