CM4Sci

IDEAS 21307 Caterham Seven 620R

I wonder why they can do printed pieces only for Ideas sets but not for other themes??? I'm willing to pay more for prints only!

Most sets are made for kids, and apparently they love applying stickers

Most sets are made for kids, and apparently they love applying stickers

Hmm, that doesn't explain why the big Creator cars (that were made for ages of 16+) come with stickers, while the Ideas WALL.E set comes with printed parts.

Maybe the reason is that Creator sets were traditionally made for creative building, and printed parts with Ferrari-logos could be obstructive when you want to build a plane or a house (for example) out of the F40-set .

I think that the removable nose cone is intentional, if not it would be placed on a 2x4 plate (an easy mod anyways).

Maybe the reason is that Creator sets were traditionally made for creative building, and printed parts with Ferrari-logos could be obstructive when you want to build a plane or a house (for example) out of the F40-set .

That doesn't make too much sense, because regular Creator and Expert are very different.

Hmm, that doesn't explain why the big Creator cars (that were made for ages of 16+) come with stickers, while the Ideas WALL.E set comes with printed parts.

For that I buy STANDARD Creator sets but not an Expert car for display purposes. Printed parts only increase the value of such sets incredibly! and most importantly no worries about when the stickers will peel off.

Also just watched Sariels review ... this along with the Expert cars looks phenomenal!

That doesn't make too much sense, because regular Creator and Expert are very different.

I don't disagree with that, but I can't see other reasons for that, especially when you compare the Caterham with the other Creator cars.

They were all sold with similar prices.

They all use specified printed/stickered parts that couldn't be used in other sets again.

They are all officially licenced sets.

They all have a similar quantity of printed/stickered parts.

None of them comes with an higher quantity of identical printed/stickered parts.

And I don't think the sales volume or profit margin of Ideas sets would be exorbitant higher than compareable Creator sets.

So there can't be an economical reason for that.

The only difference is that they were sold in different categories.

That's why I think there must be something like an internal instruction, not to use stickers in Ideas or printet parts in Creator.

Edited by Mellow

Another reason I though of is because Expert cars are designed from scratch, but Ideas sets have a bit of base (the original project).

Another reason I though of is because Expert cars are designed from scratch, but Ideas sets have a bit of base (the original project).

and this has to do what? with stickers vs printed pieces?

Then again there's no stickers used in any modular building!

Palace cinema...

But that is just because the movie posters are to detailed to be printed

Edited by SollX

Palace cinema...

But that is just because the movie posters are to detailed to be printed

And also because LEGO isn't (currently) able to print those window-pane pieces front-and-back.

Really, there are quite a few times when the distinction between printing and stickers comes down to "do we have the proper machine fittings to print this surface or not?" Every printed part in the Caterham set is one that has been printed before. By comparison, the Big Bang Theory set has two stickers for parts that haven't been printed in the past, while all the other decorations are printed.

That isn't the ONLY reason why stickers are used in place of printing, but it is a common reason in themes where printed pieces are otherwise the norm.

Apparently Lego are keeping this one to themselves and not distributing it widely to other retailers, and that's in the U.K. where this was always going to be far more popular than any other territory.

I did wonder when this was announced if it would be a limited run given its quite a niche product compared to the Mini, F40 etc, turns out that may be the case.

But have previous Ideas sets appeared at other retailers in the UK?

Yes almost of them aside from some of the early ones I believe. The retailer I spoke to normally has no trouble getting in large quantities, even of sets you don't exactly find in Toys R Us such as the Porsche GT3, but they can't get the Caterham at all.

I was in the Lego shop yesterday with no intention to get one but they had two. I saw it and snatched it like a 4yo snatches a stuffed toy.. :pir-wub:  they need brake discs like this for the bike models!

Do you guys think this set will be on shelves for a while? Or do you think it'll only last a couple of months or even less?

I would imagine it would be around as long as wall e, maze, ecto 1, or bb theory.  I sure hope this sets a precedent for brakes being modeled on future cars.

Edited by kevinb120