CM4Sci

IDEAS 21307 Caterham Seven 620R

A couple of years when Western Modular Town was under review, CUUSOO made some comments suggesting had the project been accepted they would have released only the Saloon building. It was ultimately rejected only because of conflict with the Lone Ranger license.

This suggests that they were willing to accept a larger project back then.

They were willing to accept (or at least entertain the idea of) a lot of things then that they no longer do now, such as new part proposals, projects without actual builds (just pictures of real-world non-LEGO objects), etc. It took time for them to discover the limits of the program, what was feasible and what wasn't, etc.

In the case of the MWT, the Lone Ranger license turned out to flat-out preclude them from doing a big non-licensed Western-themed set, so once they determined that was the case, they didn't need to continue evaluating the project; it was the initial point of failure. That doesn't mean everything else about the idea would have flown if not for the license. It's still quite possible (I'd guess even likely) that they'd have declined the project on size grounds if it hadn't had a more concrete legal case against it. But it's true we just can't be sure, of course.

As for Yellow Submarine, the license is held by K'Nex

Is it? I know it was, but their site no longer shows it as available. And LEGO itself has already had licenses end that began more recently than K'Nex's Beatles / Yellow Submarine license (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, for example).

Isn't the Caterham Super Seven a licensed set?

I believe it is indeed, though in the way that things like Porsche, Volkswagen, etc. are licensed, rather than coming from a character- / narrative-based entertainment property property, if you're asking why the set is being discussed here rather than in Licensed. My (likely flawed) understanding is that most such brand-based sets and themes are discussed here in Special Themes (or Technic / Model Team, Trains, etc., as the case may be), and the Licensed forum is generally for stuff based on movies, comics, TV, videogames, etc... although it's gotten more haphazard lately.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Looks good. Day 1 buy for me, and it looks like Europe will get the London Bus promo in October as well, so that will be a nice freebie.

Looks awesome! This being an Ideas set we can be assured it will all be printed pieces, NO stickers. Very very happy about that. I wish TLG would go for printed only pieces with all their other themes too.

Sweet! Though I must say I wish they'd kept green. It's still beautiful, though.

Also, it's another increase in the size / price they're willing to go to with Ideas sets. We might someday get a Modular or something similar through Ideas yet...

Sweet! Though I must say I wish they'd kept green. It's still beautiful, though.

Also, it's another increase in the size / price they're willing to go to with Ideas sets. We might someday get a Modular or something similar through Ideas yet...

Hm, nah I think the color choice is just perfect. Yellow combined with black looks stunning! Also yeah they increase in size/parts count but you shouldn't expect a modular-like set anytime soon. I'm happy with the recent Ideas sets.

It actually does look great. I won't pay $80 for it, but it sounds like plenty of others will. I wonder if it will go the way of a lot of other IDEAS sets and get discounted through other avenues.

Everything's in the original post.

That price is a little bit step, but still a good one.

Remember that we will get a Saturn V set, wich tecnically is modullar :wink: .

Remember that we will get a Saturn V set, wich tecnically is modullar :wink: .

Well, if you want to go that way, the Minecraft Micro-world was already the earliest set in this line with a modular-style construction (released even before the line changed from "LEGO CUUSOO" to "LEGO Ideas"). :wink: But of course I was referring to the modular buildings line, and by extension, sets in the size / price range of D2Cs in general. :classic:

We have no idea about the piece count yet and I'm willing to pay a bit more just for the fact that it uses prints and no stickers ;)

Was it on here someone said they were upset they left out the pipe on the side? Cause it's there, just on the opposite side.

vHa1XZ0.png

Was it on here someone said they were upset they left out the pipe on the side? Cause it's there, just on the opposite side.

It was on r/lego. Can someone translate the French text to English please?

Edited by Emmi

Ooh, that does look very nice. Just imagine how it will look displayed alongside the F40, Beetle, and MINI... so colorful! :grin:

Less detailed than the original submission (as expected) but still looks good. Engine bay seems decent. Looks like they may have removed the poseable steering though. I hope I'm wrong on that.

Eighty Dollars. Nice.

I'm not a car person, so I will not be purchasing this, but I have no complaints about their selection or design; It looks really cool.

I am looking forward to the Saturn V so very badly. I can hardly contain my excitement for that space traveling cylinder.

Edited by Actor Builder

Those are new tires. I'm positive that tread pattern has never existed before.

The rest:

1. HOLY HOT POCKET THAT MODEL IS A LOOKER!!! The yellow is going to be even more eye-popping in hi-res, that's for sure.
  2. The set itself, while priced at $80, is loaded to the nines, but realize too that Caterham is a small company, so their licensing fee is not as immense as a big-name brand like Porsche (if this was, say, a McLaren, we'd be looking at $100 tops).
  3. The wheels, too, are new, or so it seems.
  4. Right, no steering, but eh, that's livable. They did keep the manifolds, which will be a hoot to build.

Now I shall log out and look for some scratch cards.

Edited by XAxles

I am not a car person, but I will definitely be getting this! Fell in love with the original submission on first sight, and even if the official version is a bit less detailed I'm sure it will be a fun build and a great display model.

Those are new tires. I'm positive that tread pattern has never existed before.

The rest:

1. HOLY HOT POCKET THAT MODEL IS A LOOKER!!! The yellow is going to be even more eye-popping in hi-res, that's for sure.
  2. The set itself, while priced at $80, is loaded to the nines, but realize too that Caterham is a small company, so their licensing fee is not as immense as a big-name brand like Porsche (if this was, say, a McLaren, we'd be looking at $100 tops).
  3. The wheels, too, are new, or so it seems.
  4. Right, no steering, but eh, that's livable. They did keep the manifolds, which will be a hoot to build.

Now I shall log out and look for some scratch cards.

Neither the wheels nor tires are new. They are 15413 tires on 56145 rims, as per Carl Greatrix's original submission.

It might be possible to reintroduce the steerable wheels. Will have to wait and see. Should be a fun set to modify in any case.

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

Any guesses about the release date?

I'd say January 2017

I´ve read at PromoBricks about a probably release in October.

That would be great.

EDIT: Just realized that I have answered to a post from March... :purrr:

But I haven´t read about that before, so I think it´s okay. :blush:

Edited by Mellow

With my poor french:

Create the Lego version of the Caterham Seven 620R! Assited steering and electric windows ? Not even in dreams! The Caterham Seven is clearly not made ​​for small players! Remove the forward fuselage, the motor cover or motor itself and see more closely the authenthic details of a lego model that truly caters to connoisseurs!

Thanks Cwetqo. So what's the difference between forward fuselage and motor cover. Isn't it the same? Assited steering and electric windows ... that confuses me.