Hi peeps :sweet:

So today I was building the 42030 and noticed the battery box has several differences to the ones I owned before.

P1210798.JPG

1. First of all the switch is much better to operate, it sticks in the off poistion much better and is easier to control.

2. LED is much brighter and green-ish compared to old ones:

P1210799.JPG

3. The mold has been changed so that the symbol for DO NOT THROW IN TRASH is now on the other side of the battrey box. They also imprinted serial number which I think stands for 40th week of 2015, making this battery box very young :laugh:

P1210801.JPG

P1210800.JPG

5. The arrows and the square next to the toggle switch are now textured and not smooth.

I also noticed the motors having the imprinted date in the hard dark like in the third picture. The IR recerivers had same LED's as before.

Here's what I DONT GET. If there is suppose to be a new PF2.0 next year, why bother improving the current, soon-to-be-outdated system?

I have a feeling we have not seen the last of PF 1.0.

Your opinions/experiences?

Edited by Zblj

1. First of all the switch is much better to operate, it sticks in the off poistion much better and is easier to control.

I also noticed that, and I was quite happy about it, since it was one of the weak points of the old BB.

Others being the difficulty of getting rechargeable batteries in and out, and the overall size of the BB.

Indeed the LOGO is removed from the studs. Interesting because I've only seen that on cheap building block systems.

Do you think it is a rubbish clone? As it doesn't have the LOGO, and also is this what the Chinese clones are trying to copy now?

There is Lego logo, I just used too much picture cleaning, here is original:

P1210798org.JPG

The set is definetely real, its 42030 we're talking about, not a cheap 20€ pullback racer.

Edited by Zblj

I noticed these differences between AA battery boxes when I got a second one for my Abrams. I also noticed with the older one the contacts loosened up, so I had to put pieces of plastic to retain the contacts, as the plastic knobs that retained the contacts had sheared off.

Interesting. Have you opened up the new battery box and check out the circuit board? Does it have the same 750mA resettable fuse?

Yup, photo noise reduction is bad for LEGO trademarks. :laugh:

I also noticed that, and I was quite happy about it, since it was one of the weak points of the old BB.

Others being the difficulty of getting rechargeable batteries in and out, and the overall size of the BB.

Oh my goodness..... such a welcomed change. Can anyone remember 42025 and when a stubborn beast it was to turn on and off! Just look at the instructions and you will know what I am talking about.

Got a little further on my 42043 build tonight and just tried the battery box out. I do have to say it's much improved over the old one. Good spotting! Here and I figured the old boxes I have where just unlucky.

Here's what I DONT GET. If there is suppose to be a new PF2.0 next year, why bother improving the current, soon-to-be-outdated system?

I have a feeling we have not seen the last of PF 1.0.

Well, this "PF like" 9v battery box appeared only one year before PF system, and was included only in one model and an accessory box!

Well, this "PF like" 9v battery box appeared only one year before PF system, and was included only in one model and an accessory box!

OMG, that is one ugly wannabeahelicopter pile of bricks :-)

And yes, the new BB is great! I wish it was introduced eariler...

Edited by MajklSpajkl

They also imprinted serial number which I think stands for 40th week of 2015

I have a pullback motor with "337X4" stamped on it, so if this is indeed a production date system, perhaps it refers to days, rather than weeks?

I got a new PF Box set about 3 weeks ago, and noticed the change in Battery box..

The softer switch is very much welcomed, after all these years..

But did you notice this small change?

OLD:

800x600.jpg

NEW:

800x600.jpg

NEW ON TOP, OLD ON BOTTOM:

800x600.jpg

I won't take credit for noticing it originally - Isogawa posted it on his facebook feed a little while ago :wink:

Edited by RohanBeckett

800x600.jpg

This is not recent change. My 41999 already has a box with such BB covers. And most (if not all) of my BBs have newer cover.

Edited by zux

hmm.. I'll have to go check some of my other BB's...

I have 9398, and (apart from the PF set that I got this in), the only other recent set I bought with an AA Battery box is 42025, and it had the oldstyle one

Oops.. will edit my post.. the OLD one has the hook/clip, the new one is bare!

This is not recent change.

True, I have two BBs stamped "34K1" and "38K4" on the side closest to the switch, featuring these extra battery cover tabs and a smooth look to the directional arrows for the switch. The LED indicators have a trans-green colour. Both of these battery boxes came from old sets that I have bought used, so I am inclined to believe that the change may be the opposite of what is assumed here.

These have "59510" printed on the inside of the battery compartment, and "59494" on the battery covers.

I also have a battery box stamped "09N5" with the stamp on the PF plug side, textured directional arrows, and no extra tabs on the battery covers. The LED indicator is trans-clear. When switched on, the indicator glows with a more intense green than the others. It's... lovely.

These have "16850" printed on the inside of the battery compartment, and "16846" on the battery covers.

I understand from attempts to compile my own offline inventory app that PF components - particularly IR receivers - have been through many revisions and designIDs, and that there have been some valiant attempts to make sense of it all in the past... but all this new stuff is just more fuel for bogglin' the mind.

EDIT 1: removed quoted image because that is bad form

EDIT 2: added design IDs for battery compartments and covers

Edited by Gnac

Oops.. will edit my post.. the OLD one has the hook/clip, the new one is bare!

Ah, I thought the one with a hook was new. So the change is very new then. Most recent PF set I have (MB Arocs) still has BB with "hooks".

I have a question, with the switch, why is there two positions? I assumed it would reverse the direction of any motors plugged into it, but it doesn't. Why bother with 2 positions? Thanks.

It reverses when I plug it directly to a motor, but I'm using a infrared remote, and it seems like the direction doesn't change depending on the switch... which I'd like it to do! I've bought a direction switch to add in hopefully that will do what I need it to do. Anyone know if the remote does equalize the voltage or something?

3 minutes ago, Colbster said:

It reverses when I plug it directly to a motor, but I'm using a infrared remote, and it seems like the direction doesn't change depending on the switch... which I'd like it to do! I've bought a direction switch to add in hopefully that will do what I need it to do. Anyone know if the remote does equalize the voltage or something?

That's because the IR receiver doesn't make use of the direction control lines of the battery box.  It only connects to the +9V and ground.

diagram.gif

Philo has a nice write up on Power Functions on his website.