Sign in to follow this  
Feuer Zug

MOC - 7 wide UP EMD SD70ACe

Behold, my first large scale locomotive MOC, the EMD SD70ACe. The engine is 7 wide, and runs 48 studs in length from coupler magnet to coupler magnet. Everything is brick built, not a single sticker to be found on it. Motive power is provided from two PF Medium motors each driving an A1A wheel set. A PF receiver sits where the dynamic braking grid would be, and the battery box is accessed through the hole between the air horns.

25124716771_9c7c9ceea4_z.jpg

I know the locomotive number belongs to a GP-38, but it worked in the size.

24850239609_5ed4cc3872_z.jpg

24850239709_a70fec9ed0_z.jpg

24591116273_39ddf67c95_z.jpg

24922326060_6f8df14527_z.jpg

Given the motor locations, there wasn't any room to build the internals for the cab.

25124716391_12119820bf_z.jpg

And now, a shot of the internals. You can see the two PF Medium motors rather easily in here, along with the battery box and PF receiver. Given the generous length of the locomotive, I plan to upgrade it to two L motors next time I hit the LEGO store in Koln. It hauls a lot of wagons, but lacks speed. If the motor upgrade doesn't speed it up, at least I'll be able to haul a lot more.

24922326080_8de021ebc8_z.jpg

I'd like to thank everybody that's posted their MOCs up here. I've cribbed a few ideas from stuff to improve the looks.

Nice! It looks really cramped in the body. But why did you use both ports on the reciever for the motors?

I love seeing brick-built decals, stickers are way over-rated.

As far as switching from M to L motors, they have about the same speed. I wasn't pleased with the speed of my Cascades with L's and the same gear ratio as yours, but it is a pretty good speed for exhibitions (Slow enough to see details, but not too slow.) especially for freight.

Nice! It looks really cramped in the body. But why did you use both ports on the reciever for the motors?

The radiator grid mounting on the side forced me to a maximum height, one connection per port, on the IR receiver. Thus, I wind up spinning both dials on the remote to make it go. Not the greatest solution, but it works.

I love seeing brick-built decals, stickers are way over-rated.

As far as switching from M to L motors, they have about the same speed. I wasn't pleased with the speed of my Cascades with L's and the same gear ratio as yours, but it is a pretty good speed for exhibitions (Slow enough to see details, but not too slow.) especially for freight.

This locomotive is going to be all about pulling freight. I currently have a string of 4 MOC TTX well cars along with a mix of official LEGO wagons from the trains I already purchased. Right now, it can pull 10 wagons around my layout pretty well, with only a small reduction in speed through the corners and on the uphill segment.

The radiator grid mounting on the side forced me to a maximum height, one connection per port, on the IR receiver. Thus, I wind up spinning both dials on the remote to make it go. Not the greatest solution, but it works.

Is there space to use a PF extension wire from the IR receiver to both motors? Looks like there might be enough space behind the front motor or in the cab for the connections.

Edited by CrispyBassist

What I've done when I had this situation is use the 20cm extension cord and then attach both motors to the other end of the cord.

Here's the latest on my SD70ACe. First, the extender cable did the trick on making it easy to run two motors on one channel. With the open channel, I managed to install front lights. Next, the L motor upgrade has been completed. It was done in conjunction with an upgrade from the AAA battery box to the AA one. This makes the motors connect directly to the ends of the battery box. The frame has stiffened considerably. It hauls 8 cars around without issues, but I usually run it with only 5 well cars. I have run it once with 14 cars and it slowed a bit in the corners. Finally, the fuel tank, sides of the trucks, and prows were changed from light bley to dark bley.

33359205222_f845c5d57b_c.jpg

33359206072_433a7b5800_c.jpg

I like it!

Nice backdrop for the engine too

Could you share a picture of the bogies from underneath as well?

Thanks for sharing