Andy D

[HELP] Laptop or Tablet for PDF Building Instructions?

I am going to start the 42009 - B in the next couple of days. I have the six (6) instruction books on PDF (the only way available).

I have built smaller models using PDF's on my iPad, but with such a big build, keeping track of where I am could be problematic. I take breaks and with books I just put a sticky note on the page to remind myself of where I was.

I have a MacBook Pro as well, and I could use it for the instructions.

What I am interested in is opinions and why one may be easier to use than another. Not a debate on tablet vs laptop for general use, just thoughts and your experiences on using one vs the other for PDF's for building.

Thanks,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I use my iPad for all electronic instruction building, even for 5000+ part models. I find that the small footprint is important versus a laptop, and the resolution is just as good anyway.

I use GoodReader with my iPad. I can open other PDFs and stuff and go back to where I left off in the first PDF. It remembers even when you leave the app to do something else and then go back to it. I never did get used to reading PDFs on iBooks.

I use GoodReader with my iPad. I can open other PDFs and stuff and go back to where I left off in the first PDF. It remembers even when you leave the app to do something else and then go back to it. I never did get used to reading PDFs on iBooks.

iBooks works the same way. It is what I always use. It remembers your location.

I most of the time use my iPad, but I have encountered an issue with the instructions for the Car transporter by Mr Tekneexs. Probably due to the file size (350 MB) and the fact that I have stored the instructions on my NAS, I can't open the PDF on the iPad. The application simply crashes ... When the file size becomes too big, it is probably better to make the instructions in multiple parts.

I use and I'd suggest the laptop, mainly for screen size. In case you have not noticed it yet, there are times when you have to zoom instructions to double check pin orientation.

I'm going to have to be honest, that I am not an Mac user, and that my main system with three monitors is what II use for development work with PDF reference material, LDCad, and BrickLink sharing one window spread on the three monitors.

Ed

I use a laptop over my tablet too. I like the laptop because the screen can be angles and for me it is much easier to follow the instructions upright, as opposed to flat. Plus, the screen is much bigger

I use a laptop over my tablet too. I like the laptop because the screen can be angles and for me it is much easier to follow the instructions upright, as opposed to flat. Plus, the screen is much bigger

I totally agree

I use my laptop. But I guess I'm cheating a bit, because I have one of those convertibles :tongue:

So I just turn the laptop in 'tent-mode', standing like this: /\ with the screen facing forward. Small footprint and a large(ish) screen.

But, aside from that, I'll probably choose a laptop over a tablet anyway, no idea why though, that's just what I'm used to I guess.

I use a mere 7" tablet, and built some rather complex models from there. Granted, the screen is small, but it's so easy to zoom in/out...

I use my 23" PC screen, because it's a permanent resident on my desk, the only one I have and the only place where I build, so it doesn't take any extra space :)

If you have the space, use your laptop. If not, use your tablet :sweet:

Advantage of a laptop is that the screen is bigger (and most likely higher resolution). Advantage of the iPad is that it takes up less space and it lacks a keyboard, so the screen is closer to you than a laptop screen...possibly.

It boils down to trying both and see which one you prefer. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here.

I have a computer on my desk with a large screen, so for me it's a no-brainer.

With a tablet zooming may be more intuitive but bigger screen always win. I recently built 42029 B model using the hall's 37" TV and it was pleasant.

To follow up your build between sessions, just record your page on Google Keep or anywhere convenient to take notes.

I use Lenovo Yoga 2 with 13.3inch touchscreen. It can be used in normal laptop mode or you can flip the screen to the back and use it in Tent Mode. I find that very useful

Thanks for all the replies and your reasoning. I was leaning towards iPad because of size and zooming, I think may try both to see which works best for me, but I think the zooming will be a big benefit for me and my eyesight.

I disassembled the 42009 - A model in 3 hours Saturday,

Sorted into bins for building in 3 hours Sunday (yesterday)

Today, Monday I will actually start building the 42009 - B model!

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Andy D

Thanks for all the replies and your reasoning. I was leaning towards iPad because of size and zooming, I think may try both to see which works best for me, but I think the zooming will be a big benefit for me and my eyesight.

I find being able to easily zoom and hold the screen up to your face is a definite iPad (or tablet) plus for us older than dirt types. :wink:

I find being able to easily zoom and hold the screen up to your face is a definite iPad (or tablet) plus for us older than dirt types. :wink:

Exactly! I needed to just that several times this AM while building.

Considering the number of parts on my build desk vs the size of the desk, the iPad is a real winner there as well. So far I have just used the iPad today, I don't know if I will try the laptop as I was considering.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

:laugh:

The iPad worked out great! I just completed the 42009 - B, Reacher Stacker today! It was a fun build and the iPad provided all I needed to see to build it. I know that iBooks (or Goodreader) saves your place for you, but I found a little bit of extra security in writing down the book and page number when taking breaks. As long as the PDF is good, I would not hesitate to do this again with a large model, I still prefer paper booklets, but the iPad worked out well.

Andy D

I use a Surface Pro, which is very handy. It's thin, very portable with a built-in adjustable stand to change screen angles and a detachable keyboard. It also has a touch screen, so you can zoom in on the instructions to get a closer look at certain parts or building steps. Has a video player to watch video building instructions and other software like Word and Powerpoint for other building instruction formats. Another big plus is It also has a USB port, so you can attach an external hard drive or USB stick to expand your memory or access a large library of PDF instruction files. IMO it has advantages over an iPad and a little more portable than a PC.

Edited by Technic Fan

I use an iPad and it works great. For software I prefer Comic Glass, which lets me download PDF instructions from my PC on the fly. It remembers where I left off if I'm building a big model which is great.

Also I tend to build while sitting on the floor, and a tablet is easier to toss around than a laptop.