Peppermint_M

LEGO Ninjago 2017 Discussion

SDCC is only a couple weeks before the sets will be released, so I highly doubt that that will be the first public reveal. It might be a good opportunity for a D2C reveal, though.

Been trying to replicate the Kai Mech from the trailer, wondering whether to attempt to try and do the whole 'piston arm' thing it has going? Would such a design even be strong enough to support the arms and get the same articulation in the trailer. I know they kind of cheat sometimes in the movies, so unsure if its possible to replicate.

29 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Remember that New York Toy Fair's primary function is promoting toys to retailers, not to end consumers, and that most of those retailers would have had representatives at the event to see the sets in person. Just because pictures aren't allowed to be posted online doesn't mean that Lego didn't achieve their Toy Fair goals, and Lego still will have plenty of opportunities to create hype around the sets before they and the movie itself are released. It's frustrating for fans but ultimately it won't be any less exciting when the sets actually get released—in fact, it may be even more exciting if only because we won't have our attention divided by all the other sets that were revealed at Toy Fair.

While this may have been the primary function, its evolved into being a way to advertise the toys on a massive scale and if the Ninjago sets are the next step forward with Lego mechs it just seems strange not to reveal them. Other fandoms are now hyped and spreading images of stuff they are getting later in the year, creating both hype and advertising the sets to as many people as possible - yet with Ninjago all we have to discuss is a battle pack and when the sets will be shown so the fandom is dormant. We can't even effectively discuss the 'Hands Of Time' TV series because of its strange status of having foreign episodes all released and no english release date, its now been almost 2 months since the foreign episodes aired and people are actually starting to sub and dub the series because they have lost faith in Lego releasing an english version.

As for the levels of excitement, personally i've always seen more value in the NYTF reveals. We see the sets from one or two angles, people discuss and speculate about how they are made, then as it progresses we see better images and eventually we get the official images - and by that stage we're already planning what to get. If they just come out with official images D2C or at D23 or SDCC it removes a lot of the fun from reveals as it'll be just 'here they are, this is what you get'. Also prolonging the reveal is a double-edged sword, we can get more hyped for the reveal, but we'll also expect more from the sets to justify them not being shown.

Edited by Scarilian

How will revealing sets at NYTF allow bootleggers to make the sets? I can't build sets just by looking at the outside…

Unless bootleggers are more talented at LEGO than me… :look:

It's important to remember that TLG is a very big company with a lot of experience. It seems extremely likely that a lot of thought went into this decision, and they ultimately did it because they believe it was best for the company as a whole. While it may be a pain to wait, I have a feeling it will be worth it in the end. And, I expect new trailers and even set reveals in the next few months. 

11 minutes ago, Rolyat24 said:

While it may be a pain to wait, I have a feeling it will be worth it in the end.

Hopefully its worth it. Though with the trailer being our only looks at what the sets could be, people are going to be expecting the sets to be as impressive. They could mess up Lloyd's dragon easily given reducing the size of the set would have a drastic impact on the pieces used and the overall look.

1 hour ago, VaderFan2187 said:

How will revealing sets at NYTF allow bootleggers to make the sets? I can't build sets just by looking at the outside…

Unless bootleggers are more talented at LEGO than me… :look:

Most of the replicators that Lego are concerned about replicate the visuals of the exterior alone to decrease production time and get them released before Lego's versions. Later on companies like Leppin attempt to replicate the set's interior to varying levels of success, often even improving on the original design or releasing sets that are cheaper more affordable near-identical models to Lego or even Lego ideas.

Due to Lego's prices massively increasing over the last few years a market has grown for these sorts of knock-off's and the recent price jump for the UK where sets increased by around 20-30% is an example of why knock-off's are so succesful - coupled with them being hundreds of dollar's cheaper than Lego figures. On one hand you can get the Lego Ninjago Temple Of Airjitzu for $199.99 on the other you can get a Lepin version for $80. Its easy to see why Lego are worried about knock-off's.

Edited by Scarilian

51 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

Most of the replicators that Lego are concerned about replicate the visuals of the exterior alone to decrease production time and get them released before Lego's versions. Later on companies like Leppin attempt to replicate the set's interior to varying levels of success, often even improving on the original design or releasing sets that are cheaper more affordable near-identical models to Lego or even Lego ideas.

Due to Lego's prices massively increasing over the last few years a market has grown for these sorts of knock-off's and the recent price jump for the UK where sets increased by around 20-30% is an example of why knock-off's are so succesful - coupled with them being hundreds of dollar's cheaper than Lego figures. On one hand you can get the Lego Ninjago Temple Of Airjitzu for $199.99 on the other you can get a Lepin version for $80. Its easy to see why Lego are worried about knock-off's.

You seem to know alot about how Lepin operates. Are you sure that you're not a corporate mole??

52 minutes ago, LegoShroom said:

You seem to know alot about how Lepin operates. Are you sure that you're not a corporate mole??

Thought it was worth a google :P

The lack of news out of NYTF was frustrating.  From the one picture that is circulating, it appears that the set boxes were blocked by grey metal panels so that only the edges were visible.  The sets did not look to be displayed in front of the boxes or we would have seen them in photo.  If someone snapped an illicit pic or 2 they have yet to surface which means that Lego's security people did their job.  So, doubtful that anything will surface via the usual channels.

As for when we will see anything, I imagine we will definitely see some stuff at SDCC as it is around 2 months before the movie release date, but only a week before the set release date of August 1st.  So, we will definitely get info before then.  I haven't looked but I imagine that set reveals will follow the same or similar timeline as TLM and TLBM.  So, however many months before the release date the first set images surfaced for those movies should be roughly the same timeline for TLNM.  If we got the first set images 5 months prior to release for the other movie lines, then we could see something next month.  We should also see set lists from retailers sometime soon as they usually show up around 4 months prior to release.

As for what was shown, I went back to BZpower's descriptions as that will give us a good idea as to what sets we now know about.  This is a summary of what they saw:

1.  Manta Ship

2. Lloyd's Dragon.

3. Kai's Mech.

4. Nya's Mech (4 legged walker).

5. Jay's Flyer.

6. Destiny's Bounty.

7. 2 Small "Non Vehicle Playsets". 

So, based on this they showed 8 of the 11 sets on the initial list at NYTF.  Plus another 1-3 retailer exclusives which I guess are speculated at this point?

48 minutes ago, jake0324demo said:

just2good has stated in the most recent podcast on TTV that the shark mech is gonna be a set, but a retailer exclusive one.

Really? Maybe it's not as important as it was made out to be in the trailer. All the exclusives from the TLM and TLBM were in the movie but not really important.

Why isn't 15831 General Cryptor's armor more widely used? It's looks cool and looks like it can accommodate ninja hoods that extend down in the front that otherwise interfere with other armor.

Also, what's the finest Ninjago mech? Salvage MEC looks like it has more modern parts, but doesn't look as good as Samurai X that seems to use cruder parts.

2 minutes ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

Why isn't 15831 General Cryptor's armor more widely used? It's looks cool and looks like it can accommodate ninja hoods that extend down in the front that otherwise interfere with other armor.

Also, what's the finest Ninjago mech? Salvage MEC looks like it has more modern parts, but doesn't look as good as Samurai X that seems to use cruder parts.

My favorite would have to be Salvage MEC. 

1 minute ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

Personally they are both good In there own right. The Salvage Mec had some really cool features, while the Samurai X mech is very well designed (yet not In terms of scale). But I would give the edge to the Samurai X Mech

44 minutes ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

I believe some CMFs have used it, but otherwise you're right. Pretty underrated piece.

1 hour ago, jake0324demo said:

just2good has stated in the most recent podcast on TTV that the shark mech is gonna be a set, but a retailer exclusive one.

Huh, I'm wondering why they revealed so much of the sets in just one trailer. It looks like the main villains may just be generic-looking aquatic villains and aquatic cultists... Disappointing. In my mind one of the shining points of Ninjago is it's enemy variety and their unique designs.

9 hours ago, Scarilian said:

"The LEGO Ninjago Accessory Pack (853687) will retail for $14.99 and word has it that it is already showing up at LEGO Brand Stores. It’s not on Shop@Home yet but I suspect it will be at the beginning of March." - TheBrickFan

So they are exclusive to the Lego Store or is that the only place they are being found right now?

Edited by gamejutzu

21 minutes ago, gamejutzu said:

I believe some CMFs have used it, but otherwise you're right. Pretty underrated piece.

It actually was only used for Cryptor - I'd assume it's because it has specific technology greebles, but you never know.

22 minutes ago, gamejutzu said:

So they are exclusive to the Lego Store or is that the only place they are being found right now?

Usually those packs are exclusive to the Lego Store, but I've seen some show up at TRU.

2 hours ago, LegendsOfNinjago said:

Really? Maybe it's not as important as it was made out to be in the trailer. All the exclusives from the TLM and TLBM were in the movie but not really important.

Arkham Asylum was pretty important in TLBM.

2 hours ago, legozebra said:

It actually was only used for Cryptor - I'd assume it's because it has specific technology greebles, but you never know.

Hmm, are you sure? I think it could have been used for a galaxy/space-type character... I don't know.

2 hours ago, legozebra said:

Usually those packs are exclusive to the Lego Store, but I've seen some show up at TRU.

Is it possible to buy those officially online? I'm not very close to either of those places.

Edited by gamejutzu

9 hours ago, jake0324demo said:

just2good has stated that the shark mech is gonna be a set, but a retailer exclusive one.

Interesting. Hope its a good set. If done right could work as a shark display model aswell as a mech.

4 hours ago, gamejutzu said:

Is it possible to buy those officially online? I'm not very close to either of those places.

Chances are they've just broken street date at the moment and will be more widely available in March.

13 hours ago, TPLSTER21 said:

1.  Manta Ship

2. Lloyd's Dragon.

3. Kai's Mech.

4. Nya's Mech (4 legged walker).

5. Jay's Flyer.

6. Destiny's Bounty.

7. 2 Small "Non Vehicle Playsets". 

So, based on this they showed 8 of the 11 sets on the initial list at NYTF.  Plus another 1-3 retailer exclusives which I guess are speculated at this point?

You forgot to mention Cole's mech which is described to be different from what we have seen in the trailer. I heard it can transform. So chances are, it is the same mech!!! But is was shown in it's other form. See that other two wheels on it's arms? I think Lego might be onto something there.

Edited by Tahu

3 minutes ago, Tahu said:

You forgot to mention Cole's mech which is described to be different from what we have seen in the trailer. I heard it can transform. So chances are, it is the same mech!!! But is was shown in it's other form. See that other two wheels on it's arms? I think Lego might be onto something there. 

I think what you're referring to is the mix-up regarding Nya's Spider Mech, but I think that you are onto something with the arm wheels, at least for wave 2

Edited by legozebra

On 27/02/2017 at 1:15 AM, TPLSTER21 said:

So... 11 sets, right?

1. Shark Mech - Confirmed by Just2good, retailer exclusive
2. Lloyd's Dragon - Confirmed by Bzpower reports
3. Kai's Mech - Confirmed by Bzpower
4. Nya's Mech - Confirmed as a 4-legged mech by BZPower
5. Jay's flyer - Confirmed by Bzpower, mentioned as looking fairly close to the trailer
6. Destiny's Bounty - Confirmed by Bzpower
7. Ninja Dojo/training/base - Confirmed by Bzpower and was confirmed in chat previously we were getting a training area (One of these sets features Wu)
8. An additional small non-vehicle playset - Confirmed by Bzpower (One of these sets features Wu)
9. Manta-ray flyer - Confirmed by Bzpower

That should leave the final two sets most likely being
10. Zane's tank 
11. Cole's mech

Presumably Zane's tank and Cole's mech are retail exclusive's along with the previously mentioned Shark mech (Which was confirmed recently).

11 hours ago, LegendsOfNinjago said:

I understood it as 11 plus 3 exclusives...equaling the aforementioned 14 total. 

On 05/02/2017 at 2:53 PM, Scarilian said:

Zusammengebaut gave us confirmation of 11 Ninjago movie sets.

As far as i can tell we have nothing official mentioning 14 sets.

TPLSTER21 was only mentioning how they theorised NYTF revealed 8 out of 11 sets and the other 3 (out of those 11) would then be retailer exclusives explaining why they were not revealed at NYTF.

Edited by Scarilian