Peppermint_M

LEGO Ninjago 2017 Discussion

1 hour ago, legozebra said:

Will we be seeing these at NYTF or is there a media restriction?

I'm assuming only one or two will be officially revealed, if that. Remember that TLM and TLBM sets were revealed gradually over the course of several months leading up to release, and there will probably be a similar marketing strategy at work here.

10 hours ago, legozebra said:

Will we be seeing these at NYTF or is there a media restriction?

8 hours ago, Tragic Banjo said:

I'm assuming only one or two will be officially revealed, if that. Remember that TLM and TLBM sets were revealed gradually over the course of several months leading up to release, and there will probably be a similar marketing strategy at work here.

That's certainly possible.  Especially with San Diego Comic Con in July around 2 months before the movie comes out.  But I think that it's more likely that we see the entire line at NYTF with the exception of retail exclusives.  Reasons being:

1. TLM & TLBM had February release dates around the same time as NYTF.  Therefore, there was no main showcase opportunity to display the line for retailers (Comic Cons are not used by retailers as showcase opportunities for retailers).  To display the sets at the prior year's NYTF would have been way too early.  TLNM's September release date makes NYTF the perfect time to display the line for retail buyers and showcase them to the public in a venue where Lego controls the release (as opposed to online leaks, etc.).

2. As mentioned above, NYTF is the largest and most important Toy Fair where all major retail purchasers go to see toy manufacturer's lines for that year.  TLG will not have another opportunity like this between now and the movie's release date.  The timing is perfect for them to show the sets in an environment where they will get maximum exposure.

3. Along with TLBM, TLNM's set line will be Lego's main release for 2017.  And although they did go the gradual route with TLBM's sets, I can't see them doing the same thing with the Ninjago sets given the opportunity that Toy Fair presents.

4. With the speculated release date of August 1st being around 6 months out and the sets not being shown in the summer retailer catalog, it wouldn't really make sense to delay the reveal of the sets past NYTF.  Again, the timing of NYTF is excellent for a full reveal of the line.

I would say 70% we get to see all the sets (excluding retailer exclusives) and 30% we get 2-3 sets with more reveals at SDCC.  Not long before we find out!

Edited by TPLSTER21
Added details of estimated release date to post.

22 minutes ago, TPLSTER21 said:

4. With the speculated release date of August 1st being around 6 months out and the sets not being shown in the summer retailer catalog, it wouldn't really make sense to delay the reveal of the sets past NYTF.  Again, the timing of NYTF is excellent for a full reveal of the line.

August release date is official, not speculated.

13 hours ago, Lyichir said:

They almost inevitably will—both are positively gigantic. The dragon in particular is substantially larger than anything we've ever seen before in the theme (including the D2C Temple of Airjitzu, and possibly even including some of the largest sets Lego has ever released in ANY theme). Kai's mech is less outrageously huge but still far bigger than a single-occupant mech like that would necessitate, especially for a set that is presumably going to be similar in scale to several of the other ninja vehicles in the same wave. The real question is how much smaller they each will be.

The problem is each vehicle is seemingly singular piloted and in an ideal world they would need to be in-scale with each other to replicate scenes from the film - so to do them right either they would all need to be expensive sets or they would all need to be scaled down.
0MStlmP.png

Spoiler

Jay's for example would be the scale of the Kryptonian Spaceship from the Man Of Steel Lego sets;

z0QgZ53.png76003-1.jpg

Nya's would be the Striking Venom with the middle section of the Bridge Walker;

n2JK4Kw.png001.jpg7713-14.jpg

Kai's would be a mixture of aspects from the Exo-Force mech's combined with the Samurai Mech (Noteable the mech on the far right has a similar cockpit design)

NH1yR5t.pngmaxresdefault.jpg

Cole's would probably have the back wheel from the Ultra Stealth Raider and have a similar design to this Demolisher MOC.
o9bdJpB.png70595_alt7.jpg1246300629m_SPLASH.jpg

Zane's tank would probably be a similar size to the Hybrid Rescue Tank, just remove the back wheel and increase the cockput size with two large plates for the triangle.
RtnfwXd.png8118-1.jpg?200712040225

Lloyd's Dragon would then only be the size of the Morro Dragon.
7dy4XMX.pngLego-Ninjago-70736-Attack-of-the-Morro-D

Edited by Scarilian

1 hour ago, Scarilian said:

Reveal hidden contents

Jay's for example would be the scale of the Kryptonian Spaceship from the Man Of Steel Lego sets;

z0QgZ53.png76003-1.jpg

Kai's would be a mixture of aspects from the Exo-Force mech's combined with the Samurai Mech (Noteable the mech on the far right has a similar cockpit design)

Cole's would probably have the back wheel from the Ultra Stealth Raider and have a similar design to this Demolisher MOC.

Zane's tank would probably be a similar size to the Hybrid Rescue Tank, just remove the back wheel and increase the cockput size with two large plates for the triangle.

Is it official or are you just guessing?

2 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Is it official or are you just guessing?

Guessing, i hoped that would be clear by the phrasing. I just hid it for space given all the images.

On 15-2-2017 at 3:46 PM, Scarilian said:

The problem is each vehicle is seemingly singular piloted and in an ideal world they would need to be in-scale with each other to replicate scenes from the film - so to do them right either they would all need to be expensive sets or they would all need to be scaled down.
0MStlmP.png

I can see LEGO do 5 sets with similar price ranges for all 5; say 60 to 100. More or less with the same scale, but the most expensive one with a side build, the smallest without. They can fool around with the minifigure count too. I really hope they will; having one of these at 25 and one at 100 would make me sad.

Edited by NotMegalodon

On 2/15/2017 at 8:46 AM, Scarilian said:

Hide contents

z0QgZ53.png76003-1.jpg

I think it's sound to assume some of the vehicles will be bigger than others. In the TV show I doubt a lot of the vehicles are in proportion with eachother, like the Samurai Mech with other vehicles.

I wouldn't be surprised if Zane or Kai's vehicle is larger than the others, while Nya and Lloyd's vehicles will be more average. I think Cole's would be a bit above the average size.

Also, it was said here that these builds will look a bit more "mature". The minimum price for the sets they were referring to should be at minimum $30 in my opinion.

Edited by gamejutzu

3 hours ago, NotMegalodon said:

I can see LEGO do 5 sets with similar price ranges for all 5; say 60 to 100. More or less with the same scale, but the most expensive one with a side build, the smallest without. They can fool around with the minifigure count too. I really hope they will; having one of these at 25 and one at 100 would make me sad.

3 hours ago, gamejutzu said:

I think it's sound to assume some of the vehicles will be bigger than others. In the TV show I doubt a lot of the vehicles are in proportion with eachother, like the Samurai Mech with other vehicles.

I wouldn't be surprised if Zane or Kai's vehicle is larger than the others, while Nya and Lloyd's vehicles will be more average. I think Cole's would be a bit above the average size.

Also, it was said here that these builds will look a bit more "mature". The minimum price for the sets they were referring to should be at minimum $30 in my opinion.

From the pic of all the vehicles Lloyd and Cole's vehicles look to be larger than Kai, Nya and Jay's, but they are all somewhat similar in size. 

I would imagine that Lego will have to balance the Ninja vehicles in set form from a pricing standpoint.  Kids tend to want to purchase hero sets over villain sets and same for parents who are purchasing for kids.  If the cheapest Ninja vehicle is $50/$60 and all the small sets are villain vehicles,  that might cause a sales problem for Lego. 

Honestly, I could see them "sizing down" any of the Ninja's vehicles and still having it look like a decent representation of the vehicle as it appears in the movie.  For example, if they use the rear wheel of the Ultra Sonic 2.0 for Cole's mech, that would not make it that big a set as the wheel is proportionately quite large to the mech's body. 

I do believe that one vehicle will be at a lower price point either the $20 or $30USD size/piece count.  One will probably be around the $100 size/piece count and the other 3 in the $50 - $75 range.  I've lost track of how many sets we are getting (11? 14?) but if 5 sets are allotted to these vehicles (and who knows, the Ninja may have other smaller vehicles that we haven't seen that could make it into set form) and say 2-3 are "buildings" 1 set is Garmadon's shark-mech that leaves 2-3 villain vehicles to round out this wave.

1 hour ago, TPLSTER21 said:

I would imagine that Lego will have to balance the Ninja vehicles in set form from a pricing standpoint.  Kids tend to want to purchase hero sets over villain sets and same for parents who are purchasing for kids.

In the stores I've visited they tend to just get the more visually interesting sets and parents tend to go for what is affordable and what looks suitable for the age range. I can easily see a parent buying a kid Garmadon's shark instead of the tank-like vehicle that Zane has...

As for the set balancing, kind of links into why I think it'd be best if they varied in complexity rather than size. Lego will probably want to space these out over varying amounts to target the different customers, yet that does not necessarily mean that they need to be in increasing size's. Alternatively they could provide multiple vehicles in a single set (An optioned mentioned by NotMegalodon).

1 hour ago, TPLSTER21 said:

I do believe that one vehicle will be at a lower price point either the $20 or $30USD size/piece count.  One will probably be around the $100 size/piece count and the other 3 in the $50 - $75 range.  I've lost track of how many sets we are getting (11? 14?) but if 5 sets are allotted to these vehicles (and who knows, the Ninja may have other smaller vehicles that we haven't seen that could make it into set form) and say 2-3 are "buildings" 1 set is Garmadon's shark-mech that leaves 2-3 villain vehicles to round out this wave.

We've confirmation of at least 11 sets and the theorised nature of those is as follows;

6 of which are expected to be the Ninja Vehicles
1 of which is expected to be Garmadon's shark
1 of which is expected to be based around a Ninja HQ/Command Centre/Destiny's Bounty

4 hours ago, NotMegalodon said:

Pretty much what i am expecting;

Garmadon's shark for example could include the flying thing's that are shown carrying it.
Cole's vehicle for example could include the crab-vehicle it crushes.
Kai's vehicle for example could include the flying vehicle he burned.

Basically things like that to balance out the price tag while retaining effectively a similar scale to the sets. Otherwise we'll end up getting a massive Dragon set that dwarfs every other set in the theme and it'd look ridiculous when shown as a group. It'd be an impressive set, but would'nt really encourage people to get the whole group.

4 hours ago, gamejutzu said:

'Mature' is not quantifiable and its subjective. Due to the vagueness of the comments it told us nothing about the sets. As for the minimum price, it'll probably end up like the Lego Batman Movie with sets in every level - with the higher tier sets being the more expensive sets for the Ninja's. We know there are at least 11 sets, and they could honestly space those out with $10 marks if they wanted.

Edited by Scarilian

I bought the Destiny's Shadow today. Not crazy about it. I'm glad I got it for a fairly cheap price otherwise it wouldn't have been worth it. I love the Cole figure, but honestly it was the only pull of the set. 

What about the lisence? We know that makes set prices higher. The Lego Movie could be an exception althought it included Batman at some point. The Lego Batman Movie definitely has lisence. But Ninjago is Lego's original theme so I say the prices should be lower or the same as The LEGO Batman Movie

6 hours ago, Tahu said:

What about the lisence? We know that makes set prices higher. The Lego Movie could be an exception althought it included Batman at some point. The Lego Batman Movie definitely has lisence. But Ninjago is Lego's original theme so I say the prices should be lower or the same as The LEGO Batman Movie

The thing with the Batman movie is though is that, although it is licensed, the property of "Lego Batman" is theirs. Being that the movie is produced by DC and WB with Lego, they are more partners than borrowers of a licensed property, which brings up a whole new ball game when it comes to using characters from any property involved.

It's part of the reason why next to none of the TLBM sets have minimal to no "license tax"

Now on Ninjago's part, it's Lego's IP that is being worked on with WB's assistance on the matter. Lego treats Ninjago like a "license" although the sets are more affordable for their content because the property solely belongs to Lego.

TL;DR: They're most likely going to be similar when it comes to price ranges.

This is unrelated to the movie, but has anyone noticed the price inceases for last years sets- namely the summer ones??? 

Has anyone considered that perhaps Garmadon might have two different armies in the movie, one of which will be the water-based aquatic villains at the start of the film before Lloyd reveals his identity to Garmadon - and then perhaps we'll get a different set of villains for the final battle?

Something along the lines of;
- Ninja training
- Defend city against Garmadon water army
- Dad issues
- Defend city against Gamadon's new army
- Resolution to Dad issues

Something like that to parody the idea of Ninjago city constantly been attacked by a new 'monster of the week' style army.

Either way, looking forward to the set reveal - should hopefully be tomorrow.

16 minutes ago, LegoShroom said:

This is unrelated to the movie, but has anyone noticed the price inceases for last years sets- namely the summer ones??? 

I highly suggest checking Amazon if you are UK based, there are massive savings on the older sets. The Ultra Stealth Raider for roughly £30 off for example.

29 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

Has anyone considered that perhaps Garmadon might have two different armies in the movie, one of which will be the water-based aquatic villains at the start of the film before Lloyd reveals his identity to Garmadon - and then perhaps we'll get a different set of villains for the final battle?

Something along the lines of;
- Ninja training
- Defend city against Garmadon water army
- Dad issues
- Defend city against Gamadon's new army
- Resolution to Dad issues

Something like that to parody the idea of Ninjago city constantly been attacked by a new 'monster of the week' style army.

Either way, looking forward to the set reveal - should hopefully be tomorrow.

I highly suggest checking Amazon if you are UK based, there are massive savings on the older sets. The Ultra Stealth Raider for roughly £30 off for example.

If you mean samurai looking guys , that's probably a flashback scene showing Garmadon's first attempt to conquer Ninjago with that army.

1 hour ago, LegoShroom said:

Unless you're looking at licensed themes, Duplo, and City, no.

Except for the occasional set with too many specialty parts, price-per-piece (10 cents) has been met or exceeded very consistently.

Just now, benderisgreat said:

If you mean samurai looking guys , that's probably a flashback scene showing Garmadon's first attempt to conquer Ninjago with that army.

I'm not on about the samurai guy's scene (I'm honestly expecting that to be a bit of a misdirection where perhaps they are the Atlantis warriors with tridents) but more so what will happen after the defeat we see in the trailers.

I doubt they would reveal the end of the final battle in the trailer, so it feels more like a mid-movie thing where Garmadon is defeated for the first time and realises his son is Lloyd.

1. Garmadon leads his shark mech and atlantis army
  2. Attacks Ninjago
  3. Garmadon is defeated by the Ninja in the mech's
  4. Garmadon discovers that Lloyd is alive
  5. The Ninja return to the dock's where they console Lloyd...
  6. Butt-dial scene

I suppose Garmadon could attack again later with the same army, but i doubt they would do that because it'd just be defeating the same threat in the same way. Garmadon would probably want to change things up so i'm expecting a new army, perhaps even a new villain who forces Lloyd and Garmadon to work together.

2 hours ago, LegoShroom said:

Yes. Especially The Lego Batman Movie sets... But almost from the start they were discounted at the largest Dutch retailer (Intertoys). I guess that might be a new strategy they're trying on one theme? High msrp with discount and/or free goodies? Toys R Us are giving away a batman backpack on orders over 30€.

1 hour ago, NotMegalodon said:

Yes. Especially The Lego Batman Movie sets... But almost from the start they were discounted at the largest Dutch retailer (Intertoys). I guess that might be a new strategy they're trying on one theme? High msrp with discount and/or free goodies? Toys R Us are giving away a batman backpack on orders over 30€.

I was talking about the day of the departed sets. The NRG dragon was originally £40 when it released and now it is £45. The rock roader was £35 and now it is £40 on lego.com

LegoShroom, LEGO upped their UK prices on January 1st because of the weak pound. We of course wouldn't have "noticed" it on new sets, but on the older ones....

Disney Castle went from £275 (I think it was that amount) to now £299.99, as an example.

Has anyone thought that the shark mech may not be Garmadon's main vehicle, and the Atlantis army is probably one of many of Garmadon's armies?

Garmadon is described as very dramatic and over the top. He will probably have a new vehicle (aside from the big bad vehicle he'll probably get near the movie) every 10 minutes and a new army every 30 minutes. And why would they show us that much in one trailer? The Lego Movie definitely didn't.

Edited by gamejutzu

1 hour ago, gamejutzu said:

Has anyone thought that the shark mech may not be Garmadon's main vehicle, and the Atlantis army is probably one of many of Garmadon's armies?

Garmadon is described as very dramatic and over the top. He will probably have a new vehicle (aside from the big bad vehicle he'll probably get near the movie) every 10 minutes and a new army every 30 minutes. And why would they show us that much in one trailer? The Lego Movie definitely didn't.

That's...actually a really cool idea.