Peppermint_M

LEGO Ninjago 2017 Discussion

10 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

Keep both Movie and tv show discussion in this thread. No reason to split them, plus since there's no tv show sets in summer wave this thread will die pretty quickly. So keeping them together is better.

Ahhhhh! I love everything! I'm studying abroad this fall, so I won't nessasarily have along extra money for LEGO, but you can bet I will be picking all of these up. Kai's Mech and Lloyd's dragon are definitely my favorite right now. I like the others, we just don't have good enough pictures yet for me to make a solid judgement.

6 minutes ago, Shakar said:

They look really big compared to the usual System builds. Lloyd's dragon on its own looks like it would be a 70 Euro set at least. And the red mech seems to have knees, which isn't the norm with Lego mechs. Could it be that the sets have been souped up to make them easier to animate / more appealing?

Probably. The same was done for The Lego Movie and Lego Batman Movie (Emmett's Construct-o-Mech is a great example, being gigantic compared to the set).|

Nonetheless these give us a good feel for the general structure of the ninja's vehicles if not their specific builds. And given that, I'm tentatively excited. Many of them feel like a mix between Ninjago and Exo-Force, and as a fan of both themes that sort of gives me chills.

6 minutes ago, Shakar said:

They look really big compared to the usual System builds. Lloyd's dragon on its own looks like it would be a 70 Euro set at least. And the red mech seems to have knees, which isn't the norm with Lego mechs. Could it be that the sets have been souped up to make them easier to animate / more appealing?

Probably. The same was done for The Lego Movie and Lego Batman Movie (Emmett's Construct-o-Mech is a great example, being gigantic compared to the set).|

Nonetheless these give us a good feel for the general structure of the ninja's vehicles if not their specific builds. And given that, I'm tentatively excited. Many of them feel like a mix between Ninjago and Exo-Force, and as a fan of both themes that sort of gives me chills.

I may be forced to eat my own words about the villains. The generic shark-people are not looking good. Hopefully there will be more, I mean this is only one trailer, and all the sets will have to be populated somehow. 

4 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Given there was a precedent, I'm pretty sure the sets are going to be smaller then. That said, I agree these give us a good indication of how they'll look like. That dragon is absolutely huge and has a lot of repetition on his torso build, sort of reminds me of Dragon Bolt from Hero Factory, who was at least twice as big as in the animated episode.

I got the Exo Force feeling as well, especially for the red mech. And if my eyes don't deceive me, I've seen a four legged insectoid mech with a striking resemblance to Striking Venom (pun fully intended).

Edited by Shakar

13 minutes ago, Shakar said:

Yeah, I assume that's the case like in the other sets

There are other styled baddies other than the sharks. You pause it right In the trailer you can see some dudes with squid and crab head gear. The sea creatures are an interesting choice for Garmadon's henchmen. I would have loved to see samurai sporting  a similar head piece to Good Ole' Papa Garamdon.

Ninjas mechs and Lloyds dragon definitely look great, but generic bad guys in shark suits not so much. I'm surprised they didn't use skeletons or serpentine as generic bad guys, since it would be a nice homage to tv show, plus those minifigure were really cool! 

Ps Garmadons shark is great bild!

So the villains are robo-shark-sea-creature-people? Not sure whether or not I like that. However I am warming up to the Ninja albeit Nya still being my favorite.

I definitely want to see this movie a lot more than I thought I would. The vehicles look good from what I can tell; just look at Garmadon's shark! Imagine if Nadakhan's crew used that..

One of the baddies has some gnarly angler fish gear on his head.

Edited by Boogly22238

Oh wow. Wasn't that excited about the movie or it's sets, but after seeing that trailer (and still buzzing from The Lego Batman Movie) I'm SUPER up for all of it.

Wow the vehicles look great but that dragon of Loyd's really takes the cake! If the set looks half that good I'll be very happy. Hopefully it won't be super expensive. I'm rather surprised by the villain henchmen and Garmadon's shark mech. I was expecting the skeleton army or serpentine. Not sure how I feel about the aquatic villains. They're cool but they're not a great fit for Garmado imho.

I'm fairly sure that dragon is a robot. Anyhoo, the potential for new sets is great. I think that this'll top the Lego batman movie. I too am not sure about the villains but considering that I found the Lego Batman movie a little lackluster, I'm going to love this. 

I'm guessing since the trailer dropped. We'll now get pictures of the Ninjago Movie sets at toyfair? I think it's likely as there's at very least 7 sets with none of them being spoilers.

On another note. I wonder if Garmadon got his army from Atlantis :tongue:

So that scene with Garmadon and those arrows, it looks like aquatic people are some of the bad guys. But who knows, that could just be the first 30 minutes of the movie.

Zane's vehicle looks really good. At first I thought it was a pyramid with wheels, but seeing it again I think it's my favorite build shown along with L-loyd's dragon.

The vehicles look absolutely astounding, although I highly doubt that we'd get 1:1 replicas of them as actual sets. It's more likely that we'll get scaled-down versions, like The Lego Movie's Sea Cow. Still, I'm excited to see the sets! Especially Lloyd's dragon and Garmadon's shark-thing.

It will bother me to no end knowing that those Mechs aren't going to be to scale in set form.

I smell Construct-o-Mechs Mk. 2-7+ on the way.

I guess I'll just have to MOC them then, because they are just... just so, so beautiful. :wub::wub:

I will have them all and I will cherish them forever.

Calling it now, that boat in the trailer is Destiny's Bounty and will be the D2C for this movie. I'm really jumping the gun, but that ship needs to be full scale or I will cry.

I'm just really curious how they'll end up doing Cole's rolling Mech. That has to be the most interesting build I've seen in lego in a long time. It's a really neat concept. However, Lloyds Dragon looks amazing and might just be my favorite thing from the trailer :wub: I was curious to hear Michael Pena, but i'm sure all the voice actors will do just fine in the end. We are definitely getting Civilian variants in the CMF series, can't wait for that!

Edited by Amazing Bricks

I think they partially combined Exo-Force with Ninjago, could explain the weird changes to facial features and hair styles. Plus several of the vehicles seem to be inspired by Exo-Force;

- Kai's Mech seems inspired by 'The Grand Titan'
- Nya's Spider-walker is effectively 'Striking Venom'

So, here are my expectations for the 11 sets we are expected to get;

1 - Crab-walker;
nn1286K.png
2 - Manta-ray-bomber;
E45JfTo.png
3 - Lobster crawler;
9PV48Et.png
4 - Destiny's Bounty;
J6e34li.png
5 - Garmadon Shark-mech;
awl5RCI.png
6 - Nya's Spider-walker;
n2JK4Kw.png
7 - Jay's flying vehicle;
z0QgZ53.png
8 - Cole's Quake Roller;
o9bdJpB.png
9 - Kai's Mech;
EwdkOek.png
10 - Zane Tank;
RtnfwXd.png
11 - Lloyds Dragon;
TcqYVu2.png

Also, a collection of the villain figures i've seen and Garmadon variants;
Iez2rF9.png

Also... a reminder, what we see in the movie will probably be made smaller or reduced in terms of size or pieces to make it a viable set.

1 hour ago, Penkid11 said:

It will bother me to no end knowing that those Mechs aren't going to be to scale in set form.

I smell Construct-o-Mechs Mk. 2-7+ on the way.

I guess I'll just have to MOC them then, because they are just... just so, so beautiful. :wub::wub:

I will have them all and I will cherish them forever.

Calling it now, that boat in the trailer is Destiny's Bounty and will be the D2C for this movie. I'm really jumping the gun, but that ship needs to be full scale or I will cry.

Personally i'm just hoping that the film goes full mech-anime on us and all the mech's combine during the final battle.

Either way, shall be looking into doing just that with the sets

Edited by Scarilian

Dang, I hoped that the dragon would be an actual dragon, but it looks like it's a mech. But, I guess it would be out of place.

Edited by GarmaFan

I was re-watching the trailer and found a good scene with the full suits and weapons:

nB1i4Kk.png

uj76evz.png

I have to say I do think they look better fully suited than unmasked. I do feel Zane and Kai stick out a little due to how dark everyone else's suits look (although Jay's may be darker than it is due to it being in the shadows). It makes them feel a little less consistent (baring in mind I see Ninjago as Lego's version of Power Rangers/Super Sentai) but that may change when we see pictures of Nya and Jay in better lighting. As for the weapons, I generally like them, especially Lloyd's new sword.

1 hour ago, pawcanada said:
1 hour ago, pawcanada said:

uj76evz.png

Okay, so which weapons are these? Nya has a very obvious chain-spear-thing, L-loyd has his sword, Jay has some kind of Nunchucks, Zane has a bow and arrow, Kai has two katanas, but what the heck is Cole wielding?