Peppermint_M

LEGO Nexo Knights 2017 Discussion

4 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Big bang themes seem to last an obligatory three years. So if they only go for say two years, then they must not be doing very well. And its not like they don't cut them short, look at bionicle. That lasted for only to years. And it was very clear that it didn't do to well. Just my thoughts.

LMF

Big Bangs have generally lasted for two years each. Agents, Power Miners, Atlantis, and Space Police were each two years long (there could be more, but these are the few which immediately come to mind). True, Ninjago and Chima each had a three year run, and Bionicle was planned to run for three years, but these are only the most recent themes. There is no guarantee that any Big Bang theme will last beyond one year (Galaxy Squad) or even one wave (Alien Conquest's scrapped second wave). Two years was the standard formula - maybe they're going back to it.

58 minutes ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

Nexo Knights needed a goofy character like Jay or Zane, not a stuck up character like Lance. Axl wasn't a great character either.

Eh, Lance gets goofier as the show goes one; He's still an egocentric, but receiving a humbling at the end of the first season had him befriend a pig.
Axl problem was his simplistic character though, he's the strong silent type with artistic talents.
Normally that's fine for a supporting character, but Axl is one of the five Nexo Knights, and where as Aaron's thrill-seeking can at least lead to action, there isn't much that can be done with Axl other than food jokes.

3 hours ago, Master_Data said:

Big Bangs have generally lasted for two years each. Agents, Power Miners, Atlantis, and Space Police were each two years long (there could be more, but these are the few which immediately come to mind). True, Ninjago and Chima each had a three year run, and Bionicle was planned to run for three years, but these are only the most recent themes. There is no guarantee that any Big Bang theme will last beyond one year (Galaxy Squad) or even one wave (Alien Conquest's scrapped second wave). Two years was the standard formula - maybe they're going back to it.

I didn't think Galaxy Squad was considered a Big Bang theme.

8 hours ago, Master_Data said:

All those themes you suggested are not really big bang themes. Yes, they are original concepts that are not based on some license, but big bang themes are a semi recent concept which will have a TV show, plenty of kids books, probably a video game, marketed much more heavy then your average theme, and run an obligatory three years. And if it does better, then Lego will definitely continue the theme past its three year run. If not, then they'll retire it. And neko knights has all the qualifications for being a real BBT. So for them cut it short two years, assuming their going to do that, suggests that it didn't do well. Just my thoughts.

LMF

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

Hello everybody.

I may say that Legends of Chima was an overrated theme. I recall TLG saying that it was going to be something way better than Ninjago but, as we can see, Ninjago became an evergreen and Chima is history. Expectations don't always meet reality, and Chima may have been a nice theme the first year, then I think they messed too much (my opinion) or something else happened because the sets were left on the shelves, not only, but many of them went to ridicolous discounts and still a battlepack is on shop.lego.com at 50% and no one wants it. I've sold minifigures as a part time job, and Chima were the cheapest (costing like a city minifig) and still nobody wanted those. And this is mirrored on bricklink, where the Chima minifigures are very very cheap!

Now, they probably learnt their lesson, and if it is true that they want to end this theme even sooner than Chima I may infer that NK was indeed a very low seller.
Where I live I've seen already a lot of discounts. Really. Up to 50%. But I heard also of 75% discounts. Which means, clearly, that this theme was not appreciated. I understand that some of you guys really liked the theme. I can't find a reason to like the theme as a whole. I liked, and very much, many parts and minifigures, so I have mixed feelings about NK ending. 

If NK ends and it's replaced by something like Kingdoms, or Fantasy Era, that is really good news.
If NK ends and it's replaced by castle 2013, well... I have to say I prefere Nexo Knights at least for the parts (I don't find most of the set attractive nowadays, really, I rely on parts for my MOCs, that's what's LEGO after all).

I however agree with @x105Black when he says that Mark Stafford did an excellent job for what he could have done, is the theme that it's a problem, not the set designs. For instance, all that dark purple :cry_sad: in this year's wave is really unfitting and a real mystery to me. Would have been dark blue or black I would have surely bought much more than I have done. Also the battlepacks really seem random minifigures pieces put all together to me. 

My opinion is that big sets weren't interesting.
I have more than 200 NK minifigures as now, and I've bought 2 sets costing more than $10. The big sets weren't worth it.
But that's not my feeling only. Fortrex apart, I really have to say that I wasn't able to sell much of those big sets. I recently bought the Magmar's Siege Machine at 45% discount and a free polybag. Only three minifigures for one big set was really a pity, when discounted at 45% things started to make sense.

Let's just hope that what will come isn't even worse than NK. I don't want to regret it.

Just now, LegoMonorailFan said:

All those themes you suggested are not really big bang themes. Yes, they are original concepts that are not based on some license, but big bang themes are a semi recent concept which will have a TV show, plenty of kids books, provably a video game, marketed much more heavy then your average theme, and run an obligatory three years. And if it does better, then Lego will definitely continue the theme past its three year run. If not, then they'll retire it. And neko knights has all the qualifications for being a real BBT. So for them cut it short two years, assuming their going to do that, suggests that it didn't do well. Just my thoughts.

LMF

Your thoughts are supported by evidence.

37 minutes ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

Hello everybody.

I may say that Legends of Chima was an overrated theme. I recall TLG saying that it was going to be something way better than Ninjago but, as we can see, Ninjago became an evergreen and Chima is history. Expectations don't always meet reality, and Chima may have been a nice theme the first year, then I think they messed too much (my opinion) or something else happened because the sets were left on the shelves, not only, but many of them went to ridicolous discounts and still a battlepack is on shop.lego.com at 50% and no one wants it. I've sold minifigures as a part time job, and Chima were the cheapest (costing like a city minifig) and still nobody wanted those. And this is mirrored on bricklink, where the Chima minifigures are very very cheap!

Now, they probably learnt their lesson, and if it is true that they want to end this theme even sooner than Chima I may infer that NK was indeed a very low seller.
Where I live I've seen already a lot of discounts. Really. Up to 50%. But I heard also of 75% discounts. Which means, clearly, that this theme was not appreciated. I understand that some of you guys really liked the theme. I can't find a reason to like the theme as a whole. I liked, and very much, many parts and minifigures, so I have mixed feelings about NK ending. 

If NK ends and it's replaced by something like Kingdoms, or Fantasy Era, that is really good news.
If NK ends and it's replaced by castle 2013, well... I have to say I prefere Nexo Knights at least for the parts (I don't find most of the set attractive nowadays, really, I rely on parts for my MOCs, that's what's LEGO after all).

I however agree with @x105Black when he says that Mark Stafford did an excellent job for what he could have done, is the theme that it's a problem, not the set designs. For instance, all that dark purple :cry_sad: in this year's wave is really unfitting and a real mystery to me. Would have been dark blue or black I would have surely bought much more than I have done. Also the battlepacks really seem random minifigures pieces put all together to me. 

My opinion is that big sets weren't interesting.
I have more than 200 NK minifigures as now, and I've bought 2 sets costing more than $10. The big sets weren't worth it.
But that's not my feeling only. Fortrex apart, I really have to say that I wasn't able to sell much of those big sets. I recently bought the Magmar's Siege Machine at 45% discount and a free polybag. Only three minifigures for one big set was really a pity, when discounted at 45% things started to make sense.

Let's just hope that what will come isn't even worse than NK. I don't want to regret it.

Your thoughts are supported by evidence.

Thank you! I knew they were facts, but I didn't want to be to forward.

4 hours ago, x105Black said:

I didn't think Galaxy Squad was considered a Big Bang theme.

I second that.

Despite this rumor of NK's end being rubbish, I'm sad that this line may be coming to an end sooner than later. When my 7 yo son told me about this rumor, I just figured he made a mistake in comprehension. My son and I have been pretty happy with a majority of the NK sets, and we were really looking forward to the pending 2017 sets. 

Am I the only one weirded out by all these people who don't like this year's villain's purple and grey color scheme? Purple is such a nice color (yes, I know anyone who has read any of my posts already knows of that opinion of mine), and one of the rarest in LEGO sets; it's nice to get some in relatively large amounts for once.

47 minutes ago, DraikNova said:

Am I the only one weirded out by all these people who don't like this year's villain's purple and grey color scheme? Purple is such a nice color (yes, I know anyone who has read any of my posts already knows of that opinion of mine), and one of the rarest in LEGO sets; it's nice to get some in relatively large amounts for once.

You are not alone, I feel the same too.

I also initially thought that just2good would like that there is much purple because purple is one of if not his favorite color of lego brick. I know he is not too crazy about the recent sets.

1 hour ago, DraikNova said:

Purple is my absolute favorite lego color, so I think this year's villain colors are awesome. Sand blue is also awesome!

1 hour ago, DraikNova said:

I like purple, I like grey, I like sand blue.  I don't really like how the 3 are combined in this theme.

7 hours ago, DraikNova said:

It's like someone took a look at Power Miners and decided to do it backwards.

We get Lava Monsters first and then downgrade to stone/rock monsters in the second year. They essentially took the coolest and most interesting aspect and did it first and then decided to do a watered down version of it for the second year. I've seen drawings of other potential villains they could have done such as the plant-based or water-based villains and those would have worked a lot better than simply having lava/rock followed by rock.

First year; Lava + Lava Rock villains
Second year; Rock villains

Plus the villains for the 2017 sets do not really have as much personality oozing from them as the 2016 sets did. In the 2016 sets we had a lot more variation while most of the 2017 villains are fairly generic stone army - even the exceptions to this look like watered down copies of the previous year.

On 20/04/2017 at 4:41 PM, JasonEffex said:

Nabii is Mark Stafford, a Lego designer who works on Nexo Knights, so I believe him when he says that the rumours are false.

Just a heads-up, like those involved with films, Lego Designers would be told and potentially contracted by Lego to not announce the ending/cancellation of a theme. This can and does have a drastic effect on sales - as why would kids/families buy toys for a theme that is no longer going to be around - i'm sure there are reasons some FOL's would buy the sets, but Lego would'nt want to risk potentially scaring away customers.

A perfect example of this is how Customer Services, Lego in general and the Bionicle team handled the ending of Bionicle. Even though it was quite clear the theme was being cancelled, they kept denying it up until shortly after the release of the final few episodes on Netflix. Customer Services are often not told about a themes cancellation and only discover which sets are around when they recieve the catalogues, which can sometimes be months after we've recieved news.

If a theme was cancelled tomorrow, chances are you would'nt be officially told it was cancelled until after that theme's final wave and/or final related media was released. In the case of Hero Factory i dont believe it ever recieved an official announcement that it was ending - and it took them a year or so to even acknowledge the theme was over. I doubt the designer would out-right lie, but deflecting rumours is exactly what happened with the cancellation of Hero Factory and Bionicle.

Edited by Scarilian

3 hours ago, Scarilian said:

We get Lava Monsters first and then downgrade to stone/rock monsters in the second year. They essentially took the coolest and most interesting aspect and did it first and then decided to do a watered down version of it for the second year. I've seen drawings of other potential villains they could have done such as the plant-based or water-based villains and those would have worked a lot better than simply having lava/rock followed by rock.

Well technically they've got a "Lightning" sub element, but yeah, they are rather un-inspired for enemies.

59 minutes ago, Whiteagle said:

Well technically they've got a "Lightning" sub element, but yeah, they are rather un-inspired for enemies.

They were good enough for one wave. I just think they shouldn't have lasted more waves

6 hours ago, Amazing Bricks said:

I called it, these pods are spreading over to other themes now. This one includes Clay in what seems to be an exclusive variant! The armor looks like it's in a dark blue, but it could just seem like that because the quality of the image.

https://brickset.com/sets/5004914-1/Armor-Pod

Agreed, looks like dark blue armour to me, which is awesome! Would go well with the CMF Space Marine. :classic:

11 hours ago, Amazing Bricks said:

I called it, these pods are spreading over to other themes now. This one includes Clay in what seems to be an exclusive variant! The armor looks like it's in a dark blue, but it could just seem like that because the quality of the image.

https://brickset.com/sets/5004914-1/Armor-Pod

And it will be exclusive to some inaccessible part of Africa from a merchant who just so happens to be franchised with lego.

Then they'll show up at Legoland Discovery Center instead, and due to their incompetence in limiting resellers from buying bulk you'll only be able to find this set online for a massive sum of money.

Reminder that this is a toy with a reseller market that I'm certain has burst it's market bubble.

Why do they let this happen?

10 hours ago, Borex said:

They were good enough for one wave. I just think they shouldn't have lasted more waves

Well they might have worked for more than one wave, especially if they played up the "Storm" aspect of this season, but instead we got "Stone + Lightning" which isn't much different from Lava being "Stone + Fire."

5 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

And it will be exclusive to some inaccessible part of Africa from a merchant who just so happens to be franchised with lego.

Oh. Well, a friend of the father of my brother-in-law's nephew, who works at Blocks Magazine, just told me they will be available for purchase at the Antarctic LEGO Brand Store. It will also be handed out to kids taking part in the monthly building event, on top of K2, Nepal.

Should be true. Will get. :wink::thumbup:

5 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Oh. Well, a friend of the father of my brother-in-law's nephew, who works at Blocks Magazine, just told me they will be available for purchase at the Antarctic LEGO Brand Store. It will also be handed out to kids taking part in the monthly building event, on top of K2, Nepal.

I trust your brother-in-law's nephew's father, and Blocks Magazine is clearly a highly reputable source. My pet chupacabra actually told me the same thing, so I guess the news has been out for awhile. 

article-2587846-1C87B9FD00000578-5_634x4

Off to Nepal!

9 hours ago, Exetrius said:

3 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

I trust your brother-in-law's nephew's father, and Blocks Magazine is clearly a highly reputable source. My pet chupacabra actually told me the same thing, so I guess the news has been out for awhile. 

*snip*

Off to Nepal!

My sides!!

Real talk though. I'm hoping that these are more mass-produced compared to the Batman ones. I just want to see what their like up close.

@BrickJagger That picture is the icing on the cake! :laugh_hard:

1 hour ago, Penkid11 said:

My sides!!

Real talk though. I'm hoping that these are more mass-produced compared to the Batman ones. I just want to see what their like up close.

Me too, regional exclusivity is a pain, especially when it concerns exclusive variants. That said, I actually don't like the design of the pod itself. The two shells could have had a real LEGO clip-bar connection and (anti)studs on bottom and top. It's not like we haven't seen this in the past. Now it's just a chunk of plastic, which looks fine, but MOC versatility awfully close to zero...

Wait, so Nexo Knights is ending? Thats a shame, I have grown quite fond of them. Oh well, maybe we will get another mediavel theme, maybe the return of Heroica but not in boardgame form but as sets with minifigures, now that would be great for me.

3 hours ago, Daimar said:

Wait, so Nexo Knights is ending? Thats a shame, I have grown quite fond of them. Oh well, maybe we will get another mediavel theme, maybe the return of Heroica but not in boardgame form but as sets with minifigures, now that would be great for me.

I mean, it's surely ending eventually, but the rumor that it would be cancelled prematurely with the summer 2017 wave possibly being cancelled turned out to be incorrect.