Peppermint_M

LEGO Nexo Knights 2017 Discussion

It may be a case of only certain markets get sets, so they have cut off the production run and do not have the stock for all the markets. Disappointing for me if the UK is not one of these markets (but there is always the possibility of the LEGO store).

It has had a good go. Plus, two years is a reasonable run for any of these sorts of themes. I wonder if the shield packs are not doing as well as hoped. 

Or, for all we know, it is running its course as planned. 

Hmmmm. Two semi failed big bang themes in a row. I'm not saying they didn't do to well, but they weren't ninjago that's for sure! So it makes me wonder if Lego might take a brake on BBT's. Personally? That would be great!!! Then they could spend some quality time working on things like classic castle & pirates. Just my opinion.

LMF

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

I wonder if it has to do with the upcoming Unikitty show, that could be the next big bang theme.

Here's hoping it continues for a few more years.  Actually, I'd love to see it become eternal like Ninjago, and we never see classic castle again.

Nabii, in that brickset thread:

In answer to the headline of this article: No.

I'm disappointed to see rumours posted on Brickset as news.

Not as disappointed as I am by some of the comments about this theme that is created for and loved by millions of children around the world.

Edited by Space Police XVIII

8 minutes ago, Space Police XVIII said:

Here's hoping it continues for a few more years.  Actually, I'd love to see it become eternal like Ninjago, and we never see classic castle again.

I wouldn't go so far as to make it an Evergreen theme, but I'd at least like it to go a full three year run.

They'll be a time and a place for "Classic" medieval fantasy, but it'll be a hard pill to swallow right on the heals of an original mash-up Big-bang like Nexo Knights (which again has all the elements that made Ninjago evergreen in the first place), especially with such great "original" villain monster designs.

Just now, LegoShroom said:

So Nexo knights isn't cancelled?? Is Nabi an official member of The Lego Group??

Nabii is Mark Stafford, a Lego designer who works on Nexo Knights, so I believe him when he says that the rumours are false.

So the summer wave is still coming out, but does Mark's post also deny that the theme is ending this year? He didn't really sepcify.

53 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

So the summer wave is still coming out, but does Mark's post also deny that the theme is ending this year? He didn't really specify.

I believe he means Nexo Knights will last for as many years as they have planned. Problem is, we don't know how many years that is, for all we know Lego may have indeed planned the theme to only last two years, but I'm still hoping for longer.

1 hour ago, BrickJagger said:

So the summer wave is still coming out, but does Mark's post also deny that the theme is ending this year? He didn't really sepcify.

I don't think he's allowed to specify. His response was incredibly vague. No to an early end, but a planned end earlier than everyone expected - probably. He also didn't mention that the rumor was completely false, just that NK wouldn't be ending early. In fact, Mark's post tells us very little that most of us wouldn't have been able to guess on our own.

I think his main point was that Brickset reported the rumor as news, which he believed they should not have, and that many people were happy with its demise, which, as a designer, kind of hurts.

If anything. Nexo Knights might get a small final wave in winter 2018 with no summer wave. Kinda like how The Final Battle wave of Ninjago went.

37 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

If anything. Nexo Knights might get a small final wave in winter 2018 with no summer wave. Kinda like how The Final Battle wave of Ninjago went.

I think this is what will happen. I'll be happy if we can get one more wave of five sets or so that include Monstrox and some new monsters. Hopefully a new Castle theme will be able to come out next June aswell. 

To Mark: We appreciate how hard you've worked on this theme, and in my opinion you did a great job. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Master_Data said:

No to an early end, but a planned end earlier than everyone expected - probably. He also didn't mention that the rumor was completely false, just that NK wouldn't be ending early.

What then would show you that the rumour was completely false? If it's not ending early, then it's ending when it was planned to and there's nothing left to figure out. 'A planned end earlier than everyone expected - probably' is trying to draw meaning out of nothing.

3 hours ago, Master_Data said:

I don't think he's allowed to specify. His response was incredibly vague. No to an early end, but a planned end earlier than everyone expected - probably. He also didn't mention that the rumor was completely false, just that NK wouldn't be ending early. In fact, Mark's post tells us very little that most of us wouldn't have been able to guess on our own.

I think his main point was that Brickset reported the rumor as news, which he believed they should not have, and that many people were happy with its demise, which, as a designer, kind of hurts.

While it is good to hear that we will more then likely be getting the summer sets and put some of the rumors to rest I really feel for Mark and any of the other designers on Nexo Knights. Reading through the comments yesterday and even now just was unpleasant with how much people were against Nexo Knights saying how much they disliked the theme rejoicing in its demise demanding classic castle and such. Really just makes the theme seem even more hated then it already had.

I don't feel bad for Mark Stafford, because in his job he excelled.  I'm operating on the understanding that his job was not to come up with the Nexo Knights theme, but to design sets that fit within that theme.  The sets were very well designed for the theme, it was the theme itself that many people didn't like.

Continuing with Nexo Knights was a disaster.  They needed to rework their original concept, but when the designers hear these complaints they are like:

image.png?w=422&c=1

I don't think these complaints make Nexo Knights seem any more hated than before.  I think that these are people who haven't complained since the reveal and launch of the theme finally speaking up again after a year and a half and, yes, "rejoicing in its demise."  It's not any one factor, but a combination.  Many AFOLs didn't care for Nexo Knights, so that's one point.  Nexo Knights precluded any Castle or Space themes, which didn't sit well with the biggest fans of those themes, the AFOLs, so that's another point.  Put those together and it amplifies.  The total is greater than the sum of its parts.

Still, even I would be upset if Nexo Knights didn't complete its run.  Mostly because there is the occasional attractive minifigure in these sets, and they provided plenty of new and interesting parts.  I'm still looking forward to a Lord Krackenskull minifigure and a redeemed Jestro minifigure, to name a couple.

I don't know what people expect of Action Themes really, the so called Big Bang themes are not meant to last forever. Ninjago was a very nice surprise, but most themes have a planned lifespan for production with a little "give" design wise if there is unexpected success.

Atlantis, Aquaraiders, Power Miners, Agents... All themes that arrived with a "bang" and had their shelf-life. 

Mark does some amazing work and Nexo Knights is yet another testament to that. While designers do have to work according to TLG instrucion, it is also my understanding that the designers do have some input as to pitching themes (I know that the Collectable Minifigures really were one of the designers real "babies" they had wanted for along time). So yeah, it might sting a little for the Much Rejoicing from certain factions of the community. 

Honestly, we'll find out how things will go in time. Maybe there will be a replacement theme taking up the Nexo Knight slot sooner than most fans think, or maybe there will be something a little extra. 

"It's not the designers' fault, it's the theme that's bad" - not according to the negative (and frankly mean-spirited) comments I've read. And changing the target that way doesn't make the comments any less disappointing, it just means you're redirecting the barbs to someone else. 

I think very highly of Nexo Knights but I don't bother putting in my two cents every time someone grouches about it; it's not very productive. Maybe I should start though, so that the naysayers stop assuming their opinions are so widely-shared. It might make them a little more humble, at least.

Edited by GregoryBrick
Grammar

19 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

Mark does some amazing work and Nexo Knights is yet another testament to that. While designers do have to work according to TLG instrucion, it is also my understanding that the designers do have some input as to pitching themes (I know that the Collectable Minifigures really were one of the designers real "babies" they had wanted for along time). So yeah, it might sting a little for the Much Rejoicing from certain factions of the community. 

Honestly, we'll find out how things will go in time. Maybe there will be a replacement theme taking up the Nexo Knight slot sooner than most fans think, or maybe there will be something a little extra. 

11 minutes ago, GregoryBrick said:

"It's not the designers' fault, it's the theme that's bad" - not according to the negative (and frankly mean-spirited) comments I've read. And changing the target that way doesn't make the comments any less disappointing, it just means you're redirecting the barbs to someone else. 

I think very highly of Nexo Knights but I don't bother putting in my two cents every time someone grouches about it; it's not very productive. Maybe I should start though, so that the naysayers stop assuming their opinions are so widely-shared. It might make them a little more humble, at least.

Fair enough.  I apologize if my own comments hurt any of the designers.  I also appreciate not only the work that the designers do, but also the effort to create something new, different, and exciting.  While in my own opinion I found it to be misguided, there is clearly an audience for these products, and the concept or stepping outside of the comfort zone to create something a little more unique has got to be admired.

Every theme has its fan-base, and I am saddened to hear that any fan is having their theme taken away.  Hopefully something even better can emerge to fill the void left by this theme.

3 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

If anything. Nexo Knights might get a small final wave in winter 2018 with no summer wave.

This is exactly what I think is going to happen

7 hours ago, JasonEffex said:

I believe he means Nexo Knights will last for as many years as they have planned. Problem is, we don't know how many years that is, for all we know Lego may have indeed planned the theme to only last two years, but I'm still hoping for longer.

Big bang themes seem to last an obligatory three years. So if they only go for say two years, then they must not be doing very well. And its not like they don't cut them short, look at bionicle. That lasted for only to years. And it was very clear that it didn't do to well. Just my thoughts.

LMF

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

4 hours ago, x105Black said:

I don't feel bad for Mark Stafford, because in his job he excelled.  I'm operating on the understanding that his job was not to come up with the Nexo Knights theme, but to design sets that fit within that theme.  The sets were very well designed for the theme, it was the theme itself that many people didn't like.

Continuing with Nexo Knights was a disaster.  They needed to rework their original concept, but when the designers hear these complaints they are like:

image.png?w=422&c=1

I don't think these complaints make Nexo Knights seem any more hated than before.  I think that these are people who haven't complained since the reveal and launch of the theme finally speaking up again after a year and a half and, yes, "rejoicing in its demise."  It's not any one factor, but a combination.  Many AFOLs didn't care for Nexo Knights, so that's one point.  Nexo Knights precluded any Castle or Space themes, which didn't sit well with the biggest fans of those themes, the AFOLs, so that's another point.  Put those together and it amplifies.  The total is greater than the sum of its parts.

Still, even I would be upset if Nexo Knights didn't complete its run.  Mostly because there is the occasional attractive minifigure in these sets, and they provided plenty of new and interesting parts.  I'm still looking forward to a Lord Krackenskull minifigure and a redeemed Jestro minifigure, to name a couple.

Why is the theme bad?  Why was it a disaster?  How can you even gauge your response?  Did you see sales figures?  I for one think the sets are fantastic and have bought each and every one.  If you don't like it I get that....you're welcome to your opinion like I am.  But I would keep it at your opinion.  

5 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

If anything?  What basis do we have for this besides guesswork?  Just because it wasn't top 5 doesn't mean it's dead.  They've developed a game, tv show, and from what I heard the Fortrex was one of the top 5 selling sets at Toys R Us last year.  Just food for thought.  

13 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Hmmmm. Two semi failed big bang themes in a row. I'm not saying they didn't do to well, but they weren't ninjago that's for sure! So it makes me wonder if Lego might take a brake on BBT's. Personally? That would be great!!! Then they could spend some quality time working on things like classic castle & pirates. Just my opinion.

LMF

Lego elves is doing fine and I wouldn't say chima was a complete fail.  Only time will tell or an official statement from lego will tell us when NK is ending.  I personally like the theme.  It had some interesting builds and great minifigs.  But to each his own and hopefully the next theme is something exciting.

Nexo Knights needed a goofy character like Jay or Zane, not a stuck up character like Lance. Axl wasn't a great character either. I did appreciate the Battle Suits and mechs though.

4 hours ago, Whatajoke said:

Why is the theme bad?  Why was it a disaster?  How can you even gauge your response?  Did you see sales figures?  I for one think the sets are fantastic and have bought each and every one.  If you don't like it I get that....you're welcome to your opinion like I am.  But I would keep it at your opinion.  

True.  Unless stated otherwise, everything I say is opinion and subjective.  Apologies if it came across as something else.