Peppermint_M

LEGO Nexo Knights 2017 Discussion

It would not be too out of the blue for Nexo Knights to end after this year. My brother recently found a post by Mark Stafford about the theme from near its debut:

Note that he mentions resting the classic castle theme "for a year or two". Not that that post would have constituted a firm ceiling on Nexo Knights' lifespan (since it probably would have been continued for longer if it had been a breakout hit on the level of Ninjago), but it shows that even Lego's internal expectations for the theme were fairly measured before launch.

As for what will replace it, it's hard to say. Nexo Knights fills two separate roles: a Castle theme and a media-driven "big bang" theme. What sort of big bang theme might be planned for next year is anyone's guess this early on, but chances are that another Castle theme will arise at some point after Nexo Knights' end. Which is not to say that another Castle theme will pick up directly afterward—Castle themes have generally debuted every three years or so in recent memory, so even if Nexo Knights ends after this year a new Castle theme might not debut to take its place until 2019.

As much as I love Nexo Knights...

Just give us a Space big-bang. Please Lego!!

12 hours ago, Sir von Lego said:

Do you guys know that Nexo will end by the end of 2017?

wondering what theme will be the replacement...

8MGjw.gif

Unless there is a new Castle theme next year, I consider this a bad move by Lego. We still don't have Monstrox in minfigure form and several locations have yet to be fleshed out. However, I have to say that I'm very happy if there's new Castle on the horizon. :classic:

I don't think there will be a castle theme any time soon. 

The next castle theme will happen around 2019 I guess. Maybe even early 2020

If NK ends with a single winter wave I bet Monstrox will appear as a minifigure there, because that's where the show's storyline is going: to the guy getting his body back

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

If NK ends with a single winter wave I bet Monstrox will appear as a minifigure there, because that's where the show's storyline is going: to the guy getting his body back

And maybe a version of Jestro with his original appearance...

On 16/04/2017 at 8:46 AM, makoy said:

I thought at the minimum it should last at least 3 years? 

Nope, themes lasts 2 years, sometimes even less. Sales must have been satisfying but not amazing. 

I'm really hopefull that something interesting will come out of all this. 

44 minutes ago, RetroInferno said:

Nope, themes lasts 2 years, sometimes even less. Sales must have been satisfying but not amazing. 

I'm really hopefull that something interesting will come out of all this. 

*3 years

Big bangs typically last 3 years

Although sometimes those "third year sets" are just one wave (Ninjago 2013 initially was that way).

Chima's last wave hit in May, which would still be considered a first half of the year wave. This was despite a wave releasing in the winter as well.

I think it would be a stupid decision to discontinue Nexo Knights without completeing the story. You don't need an entire third year to do that either.

5 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

*3 years

Big bangs typically last 3 years

Although sometimes those "third year sets" are just one wave (Ninjago 2013 initially was that way).

Chima's last wave hit in May, which would still be considered a first half of the year wave. This was despite a wave releasing in the winter as well.

I think it would be a stupid decision to discontinue Nexo Knights without completeing the story. You don't need an entire third year to do that either.

Atlantis and Power Miners were both "Big Bang" themes that only lasted two years. Ninjago changed the game in some respects (like making TV shows a staple of future "big bangs") but it might be safer to assume that rather than making three years the default expectation, the expectations of a "Big Bang" are still decided on more of a case-by-case basis, depending on factors like how the last one did or how experimental the new one is.

I did recently find an October 2015 post by @Nabii that mentioned Nexo Knights giving traditional Castle a one or two year break, so from the beginning it seems LEGO was tempering their expectations with this one, rather than defaulting to a three-year expected lifespan.

That's not to say Nexo Knights couldn't get a 2017 wave. I don't have any insider knowledge on the matter.

Edited by Aanchir

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Atlantis and Power Miners were both "Big Bang" themes that only lasted two years. Ninjago changed the game in some respects (like making TV shows a staple of future "big bangs") but it might be safer to assume that rather than making three years the default expectation, the expectations of a "Big Bang" are still decided on more of a case-by-case basis, depending on factors like how the last one did or how experimental the new one is.

The thing is that Atlantis and Power Miners were nearly 1-year-long themes. Almost. Space Police 3 and Ultra Agents would be the only themes in the past 10 years where I would say they legitimately got 2 years. I think it may have something to do with only giving the former themes a normal theme's budget, yet still having to pay for media to be produced for it (therefore presumably cutting into the theme's lifespan).

Of course, no non-licensed theme has ever gotten a devoted fanbase similar to Ninajgo since, and there may not be another while Ninjago is still around.

On 16/4/2017 at 0:17 PM, Sir von Lego said:

Do you guys know that Nexo will end by the end of 2017?

wondering what theme will be the replacement...

This would really surprise me.
Do you haver any reliable source?

40 minutes ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

Ok. But I expect at least a winter wave

With the forest and mushroom villains please >:-(

Its disappointing to hear that Nexo Knights might end sooner then expected but I hope we get one more wave aside from the upcoming summer one. But hopefully we can get a space or castle theme if it does end before next year.

On 16-4-2017 at 9:31 AM, Borex said:

One of the eyes of the Dr. Strange monster could work nice on that helmet? Like a mini eye of sauron

Great idea! Personally, I was thinking of the Hypnobrai printed 1x1. :classic:

51 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

I think he means the summer wave seen at NYTF.

I don't think that would make any sense. Itaria asked him about a winter 2018 wave, and SVL replied that there will be a wave coming in September. However, the summer wave comes out in June, and I doubt he mixed up "winter" with "summer".

:wacko: 

On 17.04.2017 at 1:11 AM, BrickJagger said:

Unless there is a new Castle theme next year, I consider this a bad move by Lego. We still don't have Monstrox in minfigure form and several locations have yet to be fleshed out. However, I have to say that I'm very happy if there's new Castle on the horizon. :classic:

In Chima we haven't get many important characters: Craggers Mother Crunket, Shadowind in fis full armor, Doom the la Woosh, and amazing crossbreed Reagull.

My children really enjoy this theme and i must say, that i do too. It's a nice mix between space and castle so ^^ ( and it gives us some of the better monster : the lava monsters ( Moltor or Flama ) or the rock-electric one ( Rogul? and the new one with an new helmet ) They are great ! Minifigurines of the knights are really well done too and we have the mecha too ...  Water or forest could have been amazing set ... But ^^

Well brickset is reporting that it will be coming to an end and that they might not even release the Summer sets! *huh* Has this ever happened before?