Sign in to follow this  
Andy D

[HELP] 42009 Almost Done, Feeling Empty

I am almost done with the 42009. It was/is one of the most enjoyable builds I've had in a long, long time.

As I look around, there is no other set of comparable size and complicity available.

I am seriously considering disassembling it and putting it together again, just for the experience. LEGO for me is more about the building anyway.

Who else has considered / done / disassembled an enjoyable build just to have the experience of building it again and learning more?

Andy D

I recommend taking it apart and first building the B-models. There are great as well.

Than get yourself the instructions for the various C and D Models out there.

Anyway from the engineering standpoint this set is really outstanding.

Agree! Build the Ultimate version with the extended boom or go right to the Grove 6400.

I recommend taking it apart and first building the B-models. There are great as well.

Than get yourself the instructions for the various C and D Models out there.

I confirm, I maybe like the B model even more than the A model.

There are many C and D models for the 42009. I just purchased MrTekneex' instructions for the Car transporter.

Enjoy!

Build the "Ulitmate" version for an even more enjoyable build.

I'll second that. The Ultimate's a really enjoyable build.

No, never had the urge to disassemble a TLG model and rebuild it again.

I am redirecting my attention on MOC more.

They are way better than what TLG is producing.

I am currently building Sandman's Actros, a killer build and a challenge with the outdated and incomplete instructions, but what a beautiful old skool model.

Only downside, expensive building.

i do that too all the time, mostly with modular technic sets like the 8466 or like jorgeopesi's F40 or even some brick built sets like the tumbler and VW bug.

Then i disassemble the body and chassis in sections and built it again several times.

The newer sets i didn't enjoy as much actually (from 2013 and up) but the crane of the arocs was oddly satisfying though. :grin:

Agree! Build the Ultimate version with the extended boom or go right to the Grove 6400.

I'll second that. The Ultimate's a really enjoyable build.

I would also recommend building the ultimate model, it is my personal favourite.

Hey! Thanks for the responses! I don't know why the "Ultimate" version was not on my RADAR...

I need to look at that, this sounds like it might be a great idea!

Thanks again...

Andy D

Likewise, start modifying it. You'll uncover why a lot of things have been done a particular way, and that can lead to some quite satisfying building / problem solving.

As I look around, there is no other set of comparable size and complicity available.

In my opinion there are sets better than 42009, so instead of taking apart 42009, I would buy 42043 which has a very interesting and enjoyable build. :thumbup:

42043 is comparable. Gearbox is not so complex, but there are some other parts that more than compensate that, like pneumatic crane, and whole chassis with suspension.

I'm always disassembling and assembling my sets as i really enjoy building experience with LEGO. As for now i built A model 4 times, B model once.

Definitely try B model, it is probably best B model so far.

my style is:

1- get the set

2- build A model

3- disassemble

4- build B model

5- disassemble

6- add to boxes for constructing mocs

from there, i build models randomly, to check if i have still all pieces, to see them and to remember some build hacks in the books, i consider thar like a training to have new ideas for my mocs

every time i build a model, i took some pictures and keep them for a week or two to really enjoy how beautiful they are XD

Still looking at the instructions for the "Ultimate" 42009. It appears to me that one of the major things that was done to make it "Ultimate" was to remove those very well designed distribution gearboxes and replace them with motors or a battery box in the truck part of the model.

Besides just removing gearboxes and replacing the functions with motors what interesting techniques are in the "Ultimate" build that are more advanced and/or interesting than the standard 42009?

As far as learning goes, it appears that the main thing is learning how to fully motorize a model.

Thanks,

Andy D

See if you can collect the bits to make an 8043 - this is an amazing build as well. Some yellow panels are quite rare/expensive but you don't have to make it yellow (red and white has been done). You will need more M motors and some IR transmitters but both are fairly cheap. If you can locate a cheap 42006 on eBay that's a good place to start as a donor set.

B model is worth to build.

I like the triangle style frames by very few beams but sturdy.

I just completed the 42009 today! I have been examining the instructions and whatever else I could find in both the "Ultimate" 42009 and the 42009 B - model. For now I have decided on the B - Model. It looks like a more interesting build (for now) and some interesting functions. I may build the "Ultimate" someday, but for now I'm just going to disassemble the 42009 (tomorrow) and start the B - Model either tomorrow or Sunday.

The tear-apart and sort is going to be very time consuming, it may take all my available build time for Saturday and some of Sunday before I can even start building.

Thanks to all who weighed in on a next great build!

Andy D

I can confirm that the B model is really good. I had a lot of fun putting it together and playing with it afterward.

And not to forget, there are some awesome C-models die 42009 out there. At least two of them Are way better than official b-model:

Car transporter by MrTekneex

Crane truck by Designer Han

Flat bed transporter by MrTekneex

For all three there are detailled Lego like instructions available ... All three are very recommenable builds and at least the two former ones could easily be the A-model of stet 42009!

And the flat bed is at least on par with the official b-model...

Then there is a very cool forklift as another C-model out there also with instructions. But i haven't build it

If you take the ultimate into the list (which is BTW a very very ibteresting build and very recommandable though quite expensive) then you can build 7 different and awesome Models from 42009... Concerning this: best set ever!

I can confirm that the B model is really good. I had a lot of fun putting it together and playing with it afterward.

Thanks, this post (I think) put me over the edge to build the 42009 - B. I agree, it was a fun build, I just completed the Reacher Stacker part, I will build the truck and container tomorrow.

There were many learning experiences, the gearbox and the bracing and the little, interesting sub-builds.

Overall, I have spent 14 hours on this...

3 hours to disassemble the 42009 - A model

3 hours to sort and prepare to build

8 hours actual building divided up amongst 2, 3 hour build days (2, 1 1/2 build sessions) and 1, 2 hour build day.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes me to build the container and truck.

I think I will leave this one (the 42008 - B) together for a little longer than the A model.

Andy D

I bought Mr. Tekneex instructions for the car transporter and flatbed. The transporter is huge! Instructions are perfect and clear. I wanted to give the flatbed a try but got distracted by designer Han's crane (see photo). Still want to build the flatbed by the way but decided to go for Jurgen's Backhoe V2.

If you have the parts or are willing to obtain them I would go for the 42009 ultimate. I did that first, bought sbricks as well and enjoyed the enhanced set quite a bit. After that I went for the GMK6400, but that did require another significant investment.

And not to forget, there are some awesome C-models die 42009 out there. At least two of them Are way better than official b-model:

Car transporter by MrTekneex

Crane truck by Designer Han

Flat bed transporter by MrTekneex

For all three there are detailled Lego like instructions available ... All three are very recommenable builds and at least the two former ones could easily be the A-model of stet 42009!

And the flat bed is at least on par with the official b-model...

Then there is a very cool forklift as another C-model out there also with instructions. But i haven't build it

If you take the ultimate into the list (which is BTW a very very ibteresting build and very recommandable though quite expensive) then you can build 7 different and awesome Models from 42009... Concerning this: best set ever!

post-144235-0-30167300-1457125764_thumb.jpg

Edited by emielroumen

Well, I did again. I disassembled the 42009 B and reassembled the 42009 A. It was really enjoyable, as much fun as the first time.

On build day 1 I dissassembled the 42009 B and sorted to prepare to build. Took me 2 hours 35 minutes.

Over 10 build days and a total of 17 hours I had the 42009 A reassembled (again). It was even more enjoyable the second time and I tried to really examine what I was doing and I think I learned more this time.

Oh, yeah, over the 10 build days I recorded the time spent and took photos of each day's results... Added to the fun, I think I may do that more often.

Well, my wife can't say I don't get my money's worth out of my big sets. Looking back at the 42009B, I think I like it better than the 42009 A, so I will (in a month or so) disassemble the 42009 A and reassemble the 42009 B.

Now I think I will assemble my newly purchased 42043. But first, I need to straighten up my build space.

I think I am learning that I really appreciate large construction type Technic sets with lots of functions. I must avoid the "shelf sitters".

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I had the intention to start building some MOCs. Sheepo's Defender was high on my list, but this would require a complete reorganisation of my bricks. So far I have them organised by model. Subconsciously I have been postponing this reorganisation. Instead I am building models I have not yet build.

I have build Designer Han's crane truck. Great instructions and looks on par with 42043 and 8258. Now I'm in the process of building Mr Tekneex car transporter. I have split the instructions in 4 because they were too big for the iPad, but they are excellent. So yes, set 42009 is the best value for money set I have.