Mister Phes

Best of the NON Pirate LEGO Ships

Which of these ships is the best?  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these ships is the best?

• 6274 Caribbean Clipper
    • 6271 Imperial Flagship
    • 6280 Armada Flagship

You're lucky then!  My blue cannon covers are a bit more worse for wear...

All my cannon covers are doing fine, what're you doing to your LEGO?

Buying them off eBay where their past owners have obviously abused them!

Well, that's a nice way to get damaged pieces. You should try Bricklink.

eBay is no different to BrickLink in regards to how the previous owner(s) have handled the pieces. I wasn't being serious anyway. One of the clips was broken which happens from time to time with flags. Probably because the flag clips are a very weak link.

Either the Carribean Clipper or Imperial Flagship take top honors here... one can nit-pick forever concerning all the little details of each, but they are both vastly superior to the (horribly) colorful Armada Flagship... By the way, I own all three, so I am speaking from that perspective... ;)

Life is Good.

Had to be the CC, I mean size *is* important... Not to mention its superior crew and all round feel. Though if you went only on colour the armada flagship would steal in there.

Lugnet users give the CC 83/100 , the Imperial Flagship 83/100 , and the Armarda Flagship 80/100 for the rerelease and 72/100 for the original (go figure).

So I guess my vote is the tie-break... ;)

God Bless,

Nathan (who is shocked by the broadside of pirate content when Castle enjoys pride of place in the forum title |-/ ...

Before I got here there were almost no Pirate threads. I had to change that. If you look you'll notice the majority have been created by meeeeeeeee!!!

As for LugNet... Perhaps the voters like the box of the original better than than the re-release. Other than that, the sets content is identical.

As for LugNet... Perhaps the voters like the box of the original better than than the re-release. Other than that, the sets content is identical.

They rated the rerelease higher... and that box wasn't nearly as good...

God Bless,

Nathan

I must have read that wrong. Yes, you're probably right the original box is a better design. I've only got 3 boxed re-releases and no originals. >:( But the original box seems a bit more colourful and interesting.

I I've only got 3 boxed re-releases and no originals. >:( But the original box seems a bit more colourful and interesting.

I'll trade you, the 3 rereleases for one old box :-D

God Bless,

Nathan

That's very generous of you. However one of those is built and on display. If I was to get on in original condition it would have to be Mint In a Sealed Box, otherwise there wouldn't be much point to it. Unless it was going for an insanely cheap price.

Well, if the Imperial Flagship had wide hull I would vote for it. It's more good-looking than the Caribbean Clipper. But just because it's smaller and has less room for the crew, I choose the CC considering the overall rating. Well, maybe it's also because the CC was my first Lego ship (which year was it I got it for Christmas? 1989 or 1990, I'm not sure).

Sounds like you've have a sentimental or nostalgic connection to the Caribbean Clipper. Well fair enough, I can understand.

But the Caribbean Clipper needs a sale on the stern... The back looks too empty...

i have voted for the imperial flagship, i don't like the spanish ship because it has only a cannon, and the clipper isn't realistic because the Stairs of the mast begins inside the ship and not to the Prow and stern of the ship.

I think the Armada Flagship could have been the best of them all, just if they took more time to think about its design. The way it is it has a lot of virtues and a lot of faults.

Yeah... The Armada Flagship seems to suffer what most of the latter Pirate sets seemed to suffer. It appears LEGO was attempting to be as minimal as possible with the number of bricks they used. They really ecconomised on the designs which could have been better if they'd just used a few more bricks to fill out the designs a bit.

Still, I think I prefer the Armada Flagship to the Caribbean Clipper myself.

It has a lot of nice decorative elements, but on the other hand it's missing some important basic elements (or if they are, they look strange or are strangely placed, like the anchor or the hatch in the bow section).

The anachor just hangs off the side near the bow. Its more like a fashion accessory than something of use. Like an ear ring!

On the other hand, the Imperial Flagship doesn't have an anchor at all.

About the Spanish ship - I also don't like the way the triangular sail is attached - more like a flag, blow at it and you'll see it wouldn't make the ship go ar anything.

The Red Beard Runner, Renegade Runner and Cross Bone Clipper also don't have anchors.

As for the rear sail on the Imperial Flagship... It does look very much like how the sails on a barque are positioned.

The Red Beard Runner, Renegade Runner and Cross Bone Clipper also don't have anchors.

Which is most disturbing in the big Red Beard Runner, especially when you look at smaller Caribbean Clipper and Armada Flagship, both of which have anchors.

Yes, its indicitive of LEGO cutting corners in the latter Pirate sets. I haven't built my Red Beard Runner yet so I haven't really suss it out before.

I don't have it. I've had a lot of opportunities to get it, but I think I'll only buy it at a REALLY low price.

I don't have it. I've had a lot of opportunities to get it, but I think I'll only buy it at a REALLY low price.

I'm not sure about internationally, but locally this still sells quite well. If I could find a cheap enough one I'd get a second. But it just hasn't happened yet.