Hod Carrier

Fight the Friction...!

Chaps,

Just wondering if anyone here has tried any of the various dry lubrication methods available to help reduce friction losses on their models. I'm sure I've seen graphite mentioned before, but I wondered whether anyone else has had success with other products such as silicone, Teflon or PTFE.

I'm just considering using a PTFE spray lubricant on the drivetrain of my 4-wide TRAXX loco and on the stub axles of the coaches to help reduce losses due to friction. Obviously I'll need to carefully mask each part first to make sure that the spray only goes where I want it to go, but apart from that are there any other hazards I should be aware of? Ideally a wax based lubricant would be easier to apply but I'm not sure that such a thing exists.

Any thoughts, ideas or experiences are welcomed.

I have used silicone lube on my GBC modules. It cut downs the ABS plastic dust around the technic axles after spinning all day. I am not sure what the long term effects are yet. It only has been a year or two.

I've put Dupont Teflon based wax lube into one of my squealing m-motor. It quieted it down. I think the motor may die before I see if there any long effect on the plastic inside the motor.

Thanks for the tips so far.

I wasn't thinking of using an oil based wet lube due to the risk of fouling other parts. The plan had been to treat the insides of the bearings with PTFE spray, which dries to leave a low-friction coating, and then reassemble the drivetrain. Have I got the wrong idea?

No, you got it absolutely right!

Both, PTFE as well as silicone based lubricants work very well without any damage to ABS - the silicone stuff tends to sneak everywhere though, whereas the PTFE stuff remains more local after drying. I would not spray the parts directly but rather spray into a "bucket" like thing and then quickly use a brush to apply the (still) liquid onto the parts.

Done that, works fine.

Regards, Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for the tip. That sounds like a better idea for applying the coating than having to mask up all the areas I don't want to get contaminated.

That's the real problem when you want to reduce the friction on a model that is held together entirely by, um, friction. Ha ha!!

Hi Tony.

I saw that from your photo, but unfortunately I would have to disassemble rather a lot to apply a wet lube, and that means there's a good chance of getting it where I don't want it.

But thanks for the tip anyway. :-)

You already mentioned graphite lubricant, but I can vouch for how well it works. Just take a sheet of paper, cut a hole wide enough for the loco and car wheels, and blow a tiny amount into the gap of the friction pegs on the wheels. It's not going to affect or mess with the plastic at all, and it's not messy.