Sign in to follow this  
radar92

WIP Aberbrick Proving Grounds

UPDATE: I have started to rebuild Aberbrick. Its still in the initial design stage. I have worked on some new artillery designs and rail cars.

aber000.jpg

aber001.jpg

aber002.jpg

aber003.jpg

atlantic.jpg

-----------------original posts below---------------------------

UPDATE: Well I rebuilt the front fortifications in to a single unit. The docks are out save the small dock. There are 6 gun positions in the base. The top has 2 200lb Parrotts, 2 carronade and 5 lego cannon. The Black Watch Tower is now connected with a drawbridge and has a cannon of its own. I added a civilian inn, a hot shot furnace, and a powder house. I have also done more work on the ships.

My current train table. I set it about 1850 but I allow tech from 1800 - 1899. Its really a slice of a larger post. The two front fortifications are based off 6276 Eldorado Fortress, from the sea looking in on the right is the main sea btry, 1plt B 25th Shore Btry, in the middle are the docks and 2plt B 25th Shore Btry. On the right is a fortress for loading and unloading of supplies. Out in the water is the Black Watch Tower. In land is Dunbricken Castle which acts as arms storage. Further in land is a warehouse, small blacksmith shop, firehouse, engine house and machines

I have made a few changes to the timeline to fit what I have.

Brickshelf Folder

Edited by radar92

What a mighty fine use for a train table X-D

Since this is a Work In Progress what else are you going to do with it?

Very nice! I can't wait to see the added shtick (because this is a Work In Progress, you are going to add stuff, right?)

Thank you all for the comments.

Yes I plan to build and rebuild and rebuild.

General projects are

-traction engines: 2 so far, 1 hauls a seige cannon

-fire equipment: I have a horse drawn pumper, 1 hand drawn ladder and a small hand drawn pumper

-trains

-ships: working on a ironclad, a small merchant and a brig-like ship

-arty: I would like to create a full btry of FA, 6 guns, forge, btry wagon, etc.

-weapons: lesser know weapons of the time frame, ie rockets, I have some congreve rockets, need to make some hale

As far as the tricornes go, yea they didn't make it that far, thats one of the timeline changes I made. In my history they stayed. :)

Another change/hipup in time I'm considering is steam trucks(lorries) most photos online seem to date 1908 or later. I expect there were some protos in the late 1800.

Why are you considering steam trucks?

Personally I'd be removing the steam power that's already there to make the MOC seem more historic and authentically Piratish. But my imagination is stuck around 1650, not 1850 X-D

Why are you considering steam trucks?

I spent a bit of time choosing the time, I'm a model railroader so I wanted to keep the trains. I try to not let it get to modern. The trains are based on the early 1800's, the green engine should have a driver twice its current size. When I checked pirate history in the Caribean just didn't last long enough. I finally settled on 1850 as the best time frame, the only catch was the tricorne didn't make it. I figured it wasn't as a big rewrite as steam trains in the 1720's, could happen but didn't.

It actually started as a 20" x 20" fortress on a modern L gauge layout. It grew from there :)

You could just write the steam trains out altogether and then the 1720 setting would work X-D

PS. Pay not attention to the Phes behind the curtain...

Wow! Did you build all of those cannons yourself? Those are very nice!

Wich cannons do you mean?

Wow, this is pretty cool, mixing trains with pirates, i love it! *wub*

Next to pirates i'm a big train fan too, simply don't have room....

I would like to build a railplan from 1930 to 1945, maybe some day...

The port looks great, i'm building one myself and this is yet another great inspiration!

Love to see the finished result, especially the grey ship in the harbour!

Trains on!!

especially the grey ship in the harbour!

They grey ship was junk day freebe, just about complete #6493, built once. I have no idea what I plan to do with it. :) Just that it will be a merchent.

I the table is as big as I can go, 40" x about 9' give or take. For modern time its a bit small, but for 1850 its not to bad. The smaller rolling stock goes well with less space.

It will never realy be finished as there always some little bit that needs doing.

I have a couple of tables (36"x30" and 15"x40") and in the rooms closet I was looking to use for a small L gauge switching layout but I have a idea to use foam to make a battle field, but I need to get more troops and more done on the main table

I like the contrast of the red and white buildings against the grey wall fortifications and with trains it's a bit like it's an old outpost that has been revived into a new and enterprising little colony.

Did anyone else pic up on the MOC styled horse? Inventive!

So where and when would you place this settlement in history, do you have some ideas about a background story? I certainly like that you've pushed the pirate stuff into the 19th century with trains as there's no reason why everything should always stay in 'the golden age'

Did anyone else pic up on the MOC styled horse? Inventive!

hehe, Not quite, the multi brick horses are copied off the early lego horses.

The name is a legoization of "Aberdeen Proving Ground"

Basicly a area for testing weapons, The advantage is I can make all sorts of period and developmental weapons without needing to justify there exsistance. I like thing to fit somewhat.

Aberdeen Proving Ground

Is this moc complete?

I'm having a hard time telling right now *wacko*

P

Is this moc complete?

I'm having a hard time telling right now *wacko*

P

Nope, it will never be done, there will always be a tweek, or some change. I listed some projects in an earlier post. That list will probly grow and shrink.

It's back under construction. After some time in the present the train table is back to the 1800's. Its still just a few days old. I'm going for the 1833 - 1850 time frame but I'll include up to the 1899's. Won't have much time till April to do more. My goal is to get enough done to display it in the local library in December. I did a display this last year and it went over very well.

I love the idea of a Lego proving ground. Have you considered a large hill opposite the range? I know that in my area, during the 1850's the Allegheny Arsenal's proving ground would fire Rodman guns across the Allegheny River and into the side of Mt. Washington before sending them out to the field. Excellent work!

Edited by Huntleyfx