Sign in to follow this  
legoman666

Canadian National SD40-2 in 7W

Greetings. This is my latest model. No PF, it's just a dummy unit that I'll pair with my AC44CW CN unit (which has 2 large PF motors). Still missing a couple pieces and I'm not entirely happy with the truck details but is otherwise complete.

3abHdWBh.jpg

The prototype. Apparently this unit used to have some weird blue/red paint scheme. I thought about recreating it like that, but honestly it would've been ugly.

24288914309_13289cd3f8_b.jpg

Getting the handrails just so was a challenge. Some of my white light sabers are actually glow in the dark.

24029825003_1412c3cbf7_b.jpg

I wish there was a 4x4 round tile to get rid of those studs up top. A 4x4 black radar dish might work, but for the life me I can't seem to find any in my bins...

24028488924_ffa1085306_b.jpg

The cab took about a month to make. The rest of the locomotive I completed in 3 days.

24630414526_9042014714_b.jpg

The hood is 4W, the cab is 7. That was tricky to get it centered. Can't do a 5W nose without a flat spot in the middle.

24361101130_f03c058095_b.jpg

The cabinets are missing their doors. I thought I had some red ones but I'm having a hard time tracking them down.

24028495754_9f4c372024_b.jpg

Old and new. Should look good pulling together.

Edited by legoman666

This looks great. Also clever part usage.

To top it. Does look like you whole display / track setup is awesome.

Great work :classic:

The Central Vermont used to have that blue and red scheme as well, while the parent company locomotives had the black and red.

You could use L drivers (either blind or flanged) for the roof vents. The Big Ben Bricks ones might be best since they don't have a counterweight.

Looks great BTW!

Looks good!

It's interesting to me to see the differences between this CN unit prototype and the BNSF one I've been modelling. I too suggest using L-drivers for the fans up top.

I've just finished a similar model ...very nice work man! :wub:

It must be SD40-2 season, because I am just finishing one up as well and have only stickers left to go! It would be neat, though geographically challenging, to get them all together and see the different styles side by side.

Looks good!

It's interesting to me to see the differences between this CN unit prototype and the BNSF one I've been modelling. I too suggest using L-drivers for the fans up top.

It must be SD40-2 season, because I am just finishing one up as well and have only stickers left to go! It would be neat, though geographically challenging, to get them all together and see the different styles side by side.

I'll be at brickworld Chicago and Brickfair VA this year :)

The Central Vermont used to have that blue and red scheme as well, while the parent company locomotives had the black and red.

You could use L drivers (either blind or flanged) for the roof vents. The Big Ben Bricks ones might be best since they don't have a counterweight.

Looks great BTW!

I'll have to give them a look, I don't have any on hand in black. I may have some red ones though. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've just finished a similar model ...very nice work man! :wub:

Do either of you have photos of yours so I can look at them and shamelessly steal your ideas?

Do either of you have photos of yours so I can look at them and shamelessly steal your ideas?

Redid the truck details and increased the wheel spacing. Both are now more prototypical.

Well, it looks like you found mine already! I'm glad you liked the truck design, and I really like your changes to it! Making me take a second look at the ones I've got.

Oh no, not again Daedalus! :laugh:

My model is a 6 studs wide version of the Ge B40 ...and like Daedalus I'm waiting for the stickers! :classic:

Would you be willing to share the cab design. It looks great. I cannot figure out the front windows. Thanks

IMG_20151206_140228

I won't take it apart but I have a couple photos on flickr. The front window is 7 1/5 studs, not 7.

Thanks for the pics. I'll keeping trying to figure it out. Got most of the cab done, just cannot figure out how to attach the front windows to the rest of the cab.

Thanks for the pics. I'll keeping trying to figure it out. Got most of the cab done, just cannot figure out how to attach the front windows to the rest of the cab.

kY6zr5nh.jpg

Some trickery behind the glass. That's a headlight brick holding the windshield together and is centered on a 1x2 technic brick /w 2 holes above it.

Lots of trickery because I cannot see how the left and right sides of the front window connect to each other since they are mirror images of each other. It seems your headlight brick only connects to one side.

Sorry about all the questions. I'm a serious rookie here and 7 wide is proving to be a huge challenge for me.