Jim

42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator

Sariel's put a video up:

Thanks for the link. The biggest drawback is that the main function "picking up bricks" doesn't work. You have to put the bricks in the buckets yourself, because the bucket wheel will stop turning at the slightest resistance. :-( There goes the main function of playabity.

My first mod will be speed based though, it's far too slow. I like the lock function a lot, well constructed!

The biggest drawback is that the main function "picking up bricks" doesn't work. You have to put the bricks in the buckets yourself, because the bucket wheel will stop turning at the slightest resistance. :-( There goes the main function of playabity.

I never thought that the supplied bricks are enough to play with this. I think if I ever get this set, I will get some cheap clean and light material which I can pile up in a huge hill, and use the BWE as a real one. I think that the reason why the superstructure is turning so slow is that it supposed to pick up stuff meanwhile. So I think the way it should be played is that turn superstructure rotation on, let it turn like 90 degrees, set main arm lower a little bit, turn on superstructure rotation to the other direction, after 90 degrees make it lower a bit again, and so on and so on. The exit conveyor belt supposed to be at the same position during this.

I never thought that the supplied bricks are enough to play with this. I think if I ever get this set, I will get some cheap clean and light material which I can pile up in a huge hill, and use the BWE as a real one.

I have a box full of polystyrene packing peanuts that might be good for this.

The biggest thing that disappoints me is the lack of steering. It isn't able to turn left or right... is it realistic?

Aren't real BWEs able to turn left or right?

I hope there is space to install un motor per track and another motor for the main arm...

I was real keen for it aswell, till I watched Sariel's video, now not so much. I don't mind that it moves real slow, because the real BWE would aswell, but the fact about the lack of power the wheel has is what killed it for me, wont make it very playable. I was really impressed with the bottom conveyor staying in one place while the machine turns though. I am feeling that the b model will be better because it should be able to separate the 2 sizes of material, also with its design should be able to work with the Volvo L350F.

The biggest thing that disappoints me is the lack of steering. It isn't able to turn left or right... is it realistic?

Aren't real BWEs able to turn left or right?

I hope there is space to install un motor per track and another motor for the main arm...

If you look at real BWE's, they travel straight during normal operation, slowly moving along the mine face sweeping back and forth.

I guess they can steer so they can move closer to the mine face once they have reached the end of the mine, but it wouldn't do that very often.

I think the best way to implement steering in the set would be to have a reversing gear that reverses one side, so that it either moves straight forward or rotates on the spot, because that's all you would really need.

Definitely looking forward to getting (a couple of) this set.

After Sariel's review I'm even more attracted to this set. The only issue for me is backlash which is in fact unavoidable, but could've been limited I suppose. I absolutely love how it looks, there's a lot of details on the outside, and dark blue + yellow = :thumbup:

Not interested in racing with it, however Texas BWE Massacre is imminent.

If you look at real BWE's, they travel straight during normal operation, slowly moving along the mine face sweeping back and forth.

I guess they can steer so they can move closer to the mine face once they have reached the end of the mine, but it wouldn't do that very often.

I think the best way to implement steering in the set would be to have a reversing gear that reverses one side, so that it either moves straight forward or rotates on the spot, because that's all you would really need.

Definitely looking forward to getting (a couple of) this set.

Ok but I am at home, I guess some playability is required. If even the real excavators can steer, I don't see any reason because this model can't.

Ok for slow speed, but give it some mobility...

I' am not saying I dislike this model, but the "weak" bucket wheel and the lack of steering make me a bit disappointed.

well, picking up stiff might be a problem, but transfering it to the truck is not a problem. 95% is pretty good for a pile op plasic

Is the inability to pick up things due to the motor not being piwerful enough, or due to the clutch gears used? My guess is the latter, so replacing the clutch gears with standard 24t gears may fix this.

See the thread on Sariel's review. It appears to be definitely due to the clutch gears. This seems to be a theme in Technic sets...... and I think as AFOLs we need to be better at identifying it. Many are saying that the lack of "power" stops the buckets and is a deterrent to buy this set. I said it on Sariel's thread and I will say it here. It is NOT due to lack of power. XL motors break axles, gears, etc. It is the clutch gear. Many clamored the same thing when 42042 came out (blue crawler crane) .... said that is had no power. But simply removing the clutch gears allows one to lift plenty (with only a L motor).

Same thing was said about the reviews of 42009 when it came out. People actually said that they would not buy it b/c it could not do its primary function.... which was lift. I think this is somewhat unfortunate b/c a simple little change.... exchanging the clutch gear for a regular 24 tooth gear, yields wonderful lifting power (this is my heavily modified version..... but only a L motor is inside. Clutch removed. Lesson remains the same).

And I agree with others that clutch gears are not added for safety. Sets such as these are meant for 14+ if not primarily adults. It is likely due to avoid damaging parts. Can you imagine the nightmare for Lego if they produced a set that actually damaged parts b/c of its power? They already send tens of thousands, if not millions of free parts to people who genuinely have missing parts and those are just "missing" parts (we know they are out there). What if someone gets a set, builds it, and say.....doesnt know that you cant have the motor stall for minutes on end with out damage? They would call and just say their motor broke and they need a new one.

But..... if one is an experienced builder, and knows to be careful of stalling motors (stalling a motor for just a few seconds will not hurt it. Just be vigilant and turn it off or disengage it as soon as possible) then, IMO, buy these sets, take out the clutch gears.... and build away!!!!!

@Secret reviewer of the BWE, whoever that is: If possible, I'd like you to check if the Arocs can be placed under the outlet conveyor belt.

No, the Arocs is way too high..

well then thank Lord my arocs has air ride suspension, drop the air on it, back in load, air up, and get back to the road. Thanks for this information though.

BWE racing, anyone interested?

I think if you had teams of two, each with a BWE and two dump trucks and you had a pile of bricks/loose dirt and a hole and you had to get your BWE across the hole that could be fun.

well then thank Lord my arocs has air ride suspension, drop the air on it, back in load, air up, and get back to the road. Thanks for this information though.

You could MOC a beltwagon to handle the height difference between the BWE and the Arocs. Or use a GBC conveyor module. :classic:

sandvik_compact_bucket_wheel_excavator_0932996_low2.jpg

I will get some cheap clean and light material which I can pile up in a huge hill, and use the BWE as a real one.

Since I have more money than sense I've been collecting cheap round bricks for some time. Partly for building trees, but also so I have something for excavators to dig in. But looking at the BWE, I think it's going to need quite a lot of re-engineering to be capable of digging while slewing. I suspect at least one XL motor one the end of a shaft made of 2x2 round bricks, or hopefully a 32 axle, then geared down a chunk at the drive connection. But I've shifted from being on the fence about this model to being quite keen to get one now that I've seen Sariel's review. In many ways it's my ideal model - a giant parts pack with a decent number of a new, useful part. And only one motor, of a type I only have a couple of (I bought several 8043's for the motors a few years ago when they were cheap... cheaper than BL'ing the electric bits).

But..... if one is an experienced builder, and knows to be careful of stalling motors (stalling a motor for just a few seconds will not hurt it. Just be vigilant and turn it off or disengage it as soon as possible) then, IMO, buy these sets, take out the clutch gears.... and build away!!!!!

I totally agree with you, Nerds! I made the same experiences. In most times, clutch gears are only some kind of reassurance that gears and axles will not be destroyed, often with a much too high safety factor. I never made bad experiences in changing clutch gears to normal gears in standard sets... :thumbup:

I wonder, did anybody think of the possibilities for the new round gear sections? I mean it's basically a huge turntable.

This will allow a lot of possibilities, like bigger and more stable turret constructions.

Also, I am really curious how many motorized functions can be routed through it. I know this will require some seriously complex mechanics, but that will also provide us with very interesting mechanisms.

I wonder, did anybody think of the possibilities for the new round gear sections? I mean it's basically a huge turntable.

This will allow a lot of possibilities, like bigger and more stable turret constructions.

Also, I am really curious how many motorized functions can be routed through it. I know this will require some seriously complex mechanics, but that will also provide us with very interesting mechanisms.

A lot. You can physically get 6 axles (1/2 stud offset in one direction) through the newest 56 tooth turntable (the one without inner teeth) but the problem is getting these to work with the rotating turn table

Edited by ExileFox