Sign in to follow this  
Selander

MOC: German E69 005 shunter - 9V version

I have almost completely migrated to PF powered models, but still build som "old" 9Volt powered models.

When building small shunter yard locomotives, it certainly helps to only have a 9V motor, and to be able to focus on detailing more than hiding bulky PF components.

My design is partly based on E69:s built by PolLUG and LatLUG.

Base is 7wide with 6wide hoods and 6 2/3 studs cabin, and overall length just 16studs (buffers not counted).

With extensive use of SNOT and various offsets, I think the look is quite prototypical.

Feel free to comment. (if I manage to upload photos.....)

24262967900_7656d14993_b_d.jpg

Edited by Selander

So cool! Great pantograph design and nice detail to disguise the 9V motor!

Seems early British electrics and German electrics shared a few genes:

image+2127_E1b.jpg

That was part of a colliery's private fleet, but at the time the North Eastern Railway had some electrics for coal trains on the mainline too, which were basically larger examples of the same theme. Electrification was completed on a small section of the network early in the first world war, but although successful, and despite designing an express passenger loco too, the war plus changes in coal demands put paid to further electrification.

Edited by Redimus

Hey this is a great MOC from you Selander! :wub: :wub:

I love the professional details of this little shunter, and I love that phantograph ...now you need to build those little tipper wagons! :thumbup:

Very inspiring! :classic:

Thanks all for your kind comments.

I counted the build to approx 350 parts which was much more than I first thought.....

Edited by Selander

I was actually thinking earlier today on how to build something similar, a small electric switch engine for use in a large smelter complex. I figured I'd have to use 9Volt there, despite how PF is my favorite system.

Great to see your model captures all that I thought of, and it is well detailed and stunning to!

It looks great. Particularly I like how you've used the small hooks and hoses for the pantograph.

Thanks.

Pantographs are Steinkopf:s design, which I have used a few years now.

Except for this pantograph build I added the "porcelain insulators" (technic bush 1/2) at the two base bars to look like those on real E69:s.

Edited by Selander

Seems early British electrics and German electrics shared a few genes:

image+2127_E1b.jpg

The engine shown is E1 on the Harton Coal Company electric railway system in South Shields - England which had quite an extensive system connecting several coal mines to the shipping staithes on the River Tyne.

E1 had two 150 hp motors to overcome the steep banks along the line.

Built 1908 by Siemens Schuckert, as were locos E2 through to E6.

The photo was taken in 1910

Loco E2 built at the same year still exists and is awaiting restoration at the Sepeheson Railway Museum in Nortrh Tyneside.

Edited by Doug72