Hi there folks, thanks for taking a look @ my creation.

When I started driving (real) cars I loved to lower them, coilovers, airride, I tried everything!

Now that I drive a real life Subaru Forester (1998) and take it off road occasionally, I am starting to like off roading and their techniques a lot! :blush:

So I wanted to create a (small as possible) Lego off road chassis with these elements built in:

-Front wheel steering system

-Rigid axle with free suspension movement front and rear. Capable of off roading and some rock crawling.

-4x4 connection with center diff. Front and rear axle locked.

-Turning engine concept.

After trying a lot of concepts in LDD, I figured its quite hard to put these elements into a very small working chassis.

I tried to fit a Boxer engine (Subaru) in there, but it just wouldnt fit.

I came up with a chassis wich I wanted to order @ Lego 'pick a brick', but figured that 'pick a brick' does not have enough bricks available :sadnew:

I checked some more shops, but lost hope to order the separate bricks.

So I wanted to show you guys my concept wich is not complete. Also LDD has some issues with the hinge tool. Its a very nice piece of software, don't get me wrong :wink:

What do you guys think? (More pictures coming, photobucket is acting a bit strange, sorry)

Chassis%203_zpszyjya5xf.jpg

Chassis%202_zpszkzjmsl8.jpg

Chassis%202_zpszkzjmsl8.jpg

Chassis%201_zpsq8pqjmhj.jpg

Edited by Gimi Carnage

Although I am not into making 4x4/off roaders and don't know the ins/outs, it looks look like a good chassis.

Remember to add another layer of of beams to strengthen the chassis. :classic:

Whith what you have and a good body I think you could make (as a suggestion) a good Baja Racer.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I have to say, that looks like a great chassis from here. Nice proportions, good axles, you know your stuff! Somethings to consider:

- The 4 parts where (I assume) you plan on putting shocks, you do plan on putting springs on the axles, correct? If not, I suggest soft 6.5L shocks, you may need to change the mounting position and braces.

- In terms of propulsion, I would recommend an XL motor for more serious offroading i.e. rock crawling. I would recommend a Buggy motor for a faster, more trophy baja type offroad truck. Unfortunately, it is rather hard to get both speed and torque with lego motors without the use of a solid gearbox.

- It also seems that you already have a plan for a working engine, of which would be powered by the drive train.

Seems like you have a really solid plan, just keep in mind, Legos are made from plastic, so simplicity is key in terms of limiting weight, gear slippage, motor efficiency, etc.

Good luck!

Alasdair Ryan: Thank you very much. I did create a baja before, it was two wheel driven, and much smaller because it did not need an axle in the front.

PunkTacoNYC: Thanks for your comment :classic: I did plan on putting springs around the axle wich is attached to the colourfull mounting brackets. I have some different springs at my place to match the cars weight.

Also thanks for the propulsion tips. To be honest, I did not plan to put power functions in this model, but it is something to consider!

More models and updates coming soon!

I like the concept of the initial chassis in this topic :thumbup: It makes me wonder if you could give us some footage from below, to see how the axles are etc...

Thanks! Here's a picture from the belly:

Chassis%2028-01-2016_zps7rzjzs5e.png

Thanks for the interest, I am willing to share the BOM or the model.

I am going to stop this project because I can't order the separate bricks. Now working on a smaller project :classic: