Sign in to follow this  
jansued

[MOC] BTL 8 "Super Y"

My entry for the FBTB contest - Starwars Evolved..

After the attack at the Starkiller Base - which was a near failure because the T 70 did not have enough firepower to damage the reactor core - the resistance engineer corps were asked to develop / rebuild / steal or whatever to get a squadron with heavy fighter/bomber.

The B-Wing Design wasn't that successful - especially for ground attacks - and no other design was available, they engineers took the ol' workhorse of the rebellion the BTL 4 Y-Wing. They ripped everything of unless the got the pure titanium frame and put in the most technological advance modules on the market. After weeks of hard work and testing a new star was born: The BTL 8 "Super-Y".

24228547142_ddc1512ed9_c.jpgP1070987 by Jan Südmersen, auf Flickr

Avionics, Hyperdrive Systems, Shields Sensors and Targeting were also updated. At the moment,the first 4 Super Y were put into service - called Gold Squadron, honoring the heroes of the first death star attack.

23710538593_a1c0265e09_c.jpgP1080015 by Jan Südmersen, auf Flickr

The main ion guns were changed for some Taim&Bak High-Energy Laser, Typ "Detonator". Aditionally, four wing-mounted KX 20 Laser for dogfigting and strafing. To strecnghten the Super-Y defense, Laser turrets were installed, a double KX 20 on thop and Marksman 100 Turret on the upper side. The turrets can be controlled manually by the weapon systems officer or automatically by the newest Fabritec Fighter Targeting System 2.2.

24228546662_f6bfbcf95b_c.jpgP1080007 by Jan Südmersen, auf Flickr

The proton torpedo launcher was moved to the sides of the canopy module, so that the pilot can directly look to the ground, making strafing easier. Two heavy anti-frigate concussion missiles and 4 unguided plasma rockets were also attached.

24336750205_f5cda80a2f_c.jpgP1080017 by Jan Südmersen, auf Flickr

While one of the main problems with the BTL-4 was its speed, the Koensayr R200 ion jet engines were replaced with the brand new RX 1000. For flights in different ath

mospheres the Super Y became 3 different types of twin engines. In an emergency, all engines could be aligned to reach max. escape speed. If powered, the Super Y is for 20 seconds faster than every other fighter - including the new RZ-7.

23968966199_7247298750_c.jpgP1070986 by Jan Südmersen, auf Flickr

Edited by jansued

I love this, from the concept to the execution. The sliding canopy is a great touch.

That is fantastic. I love the rear body engine greebling, and as Bootz said, the sliding cockpit is great. A wonderful evolution of a classic.

I was hoping for an updated Y Wing in the Force Awakens and was disappointed. Your rendition is everything I hoped for. Great work :thumbup: :thumbup:

This is absolutely awesome. Hopefully we will get some variety of Resistance equipment later this year for the new movie.

Soooo.... I super love the engines. I also really like the body. Greebling is great. It's like the hotrod of the Star Wars universe. Maybe slightly less successful are those front nose guns. Eh, the gears with the studs on the ends... Not sure that works. Everything else though, bravo!

Great work! I loved the thoughts you brought to the table with this MOC... Looks and sounds like just the right ship that could make its debut in Episode 8 or 9...

My only critique (if any!) is the joint between the wings and the engine modules looks a bit "flimsy"... Perhaps you might strengthen that a little?

Wow, I love this. I was always rather relaxed fan of Y wing but this is a game changer! :D Really, I like the design very much!

Great work! I loved the thoughts you brought to the table with this MOC... Looks and sounds like just the right ship that could make its debut in Episode 8 or 9...

My only critique (if any!) is the joint between the wings and the engine modules looks a bit "flimsy"... Perhaps you might strengthen that a little?

That is for purpose. Cause all the other pilots have fighters with cool S-foils which has to be locked in Attack position, the Engines can be locked into Dogfight mode (up, Pic No. 1) or Strafing mode (down, Pic No. 4)

Wow, this is one mean fighter. Very well thought out and remarkably detailed. I would be proud to have at least one of these.

I´m really enthusiastic about this evoution of the Y-Wing! I love the style of the engines and the great sliding cockpit. I would really like to get such an eye catcher for my SW collection. Would you perhaps share the building plan or LDD-file (if available)?

Edited by YZF333