Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Sinister

COMPETITION! Design and build a household item from LEGO!

This thread is for entries only. Discussion of the competition and entries takes place here :-)

Having been encouraged following the revelation of my ridiculous LEGO coaster over in this thread, I have decided to take the plunge and sort of do the hosting-thing for a new Eurobricks Competition! Please bear with me if I get anything wrong, although I do have nuclear weapons, so there. :-D

The competition is thus:

You must design and build any household item you can think of from LEGO.

The rules are as follows:

1) The item must be something you find around the house. And I don't just mean around YOUR house - so no weird torture devices please - it must be something that you would find in any typical house.

2) The item can be as small or as large as you like.

3) The item MUST be constructed of 100% LEGO - however ANY type of LEGO can be used - Technic, Duplo, System, whatever you like. The use of string or elastic bands is permitted, but they must be of the type you would find in a LEGO set. Decals should not be necessary. No gluing or other illegal method of holding your creation together is permitted!

4) The item in question must be practical and capable of doing the job it is supposed to do. EG: a LEGO tape dispenser must be actually useful for dispensing tape. A LEGO mug tree must be capable of supporting the number of mugs it purports to be designed to hold. This is all-important!

5) Virtual LEGO creations will be allowed entry, although if they are weight-bearing entries we may ask contestants to actually build them to demonstrate that they are practical.

6) The competition runs from now until Midnight at GMT on Sunday the 18th of November 2007, that gives you precisely four weeks to submit your entries.

7) The winner will be decided by a poll taken of your peers (i.e. it'll be put to a vote - incidentally, can I set up polls? I don't think I can yet...). The voting period will last precisely seven days from inception to closure. If there are loads and loads of entries, we might run heats, but I suspect there won't be - however it is an option.

The winner will win a fabulously exclusive Doctor Sinister badge as pictured below! I mean it, I only have a few of these left and there are only about 50 of them in the world.

Badge.jpg

If anyone needs a kickstart of the sort of thing I mean by "household item", ideas can include (but not be limited to) desk tidies, iPod carry cases, coffee tables, coasters, letter racks, bookshelves (!) etc. Please do not feel limited by these ideas and don't feel that just because I've mentioned them you can't use them - it's all fair game.

Ideally, voting will be done on the basis of style, practicality, design and ingenuity.

I am of course prevented from entering as I am offering the prize and anyway, I've already got a badge. :-D

I look forward to seeing your entries!

If a kind Admin' could pin this for me, I would be grateful. :'-)

Dr. S.

Edited by Doctor Sinister

Here's my entry:

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/11020

I built this ages ago, but it's still in use right now. The track list of the CD I'm currently listening to is clearly visible.

I might try to come up with something else for the sheer hell of it and if I do, I'll use a better quality camera than that old thing I used way back then.

Here is mine; a fortified windmill! :-P

1866289155_9389e2a44b_o.jpg

What is this to do with the competion? What? Who said that? Look at the top. Go on...

1866331481_459f1a97ed_o.jpg

See? It's a money box! Wow wee. But it's not just any money box. Turn it around. Go on. *sweet*

1867136888_ad21b938b2_o.jpg

Notice those gears? So what? Turn it again. :-|

1866316295_a7fc7055e2_o.jpg

Oh look, it's the back. Remove the back o rude mysterious voice.

1867146002_b043abe88c_o.jpg

Bleach! You bought Knights Kingdom figures! I was young! I needed the Lego! :-$ But you see I have found a good use for it as I needed a Lego piece to hold the money. :-P

1866325927_0e945135c0_o.jpg

Moving right along, notice this thing? This catches the money, rotates under the weight, and then via some gears turns the windmill. Isn't that cool? Sort of I suppose. I'm still feeling ill over the Knights Kingdom figures... Does it actually work? Better than you would think actually. It took me several redesigns to get a good balance of gearing as well as the right design for the impeller thing. My first design was just a "+", but it didn't work too well. The insides that you can't see have some slopes to guide the coins as well as more gearing so it has about a 1:4 ratio. I would show this but I would need to break the front. Go on! Break it! Errr... no. But I might take some other photos later. I'm not happy with some of these anyway.

1866306557_e4f7850dc5_o.jpg

Here is the other side. Is there an interior? You are annoying. |-/

1866346405_142bf77bfc_o.jpg

As you can see, no. The door is just for show. Can I go? Yes. Please do.

Now that he's gone, I hope you like it. Thanks for looking! *sweet*

ACME model I Moustrap

Loaded

loadedsmall.jpg

That yellow brick is supposed to be a chunk of cheese. Then, if you pull on it, the hair trigger is released, and then

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

The blade slams down to crush a helpless mouse's head (or my daughter's finger if she tries to mess with my knife collection). Don't ask how many pictures I took to time it just right to get the trap in motion. It really slams quite hard and fast.

swoopsmall.jpg

I should note that it comes with some options, not shown in this picture. You can replace the blade with clubs, teeth, swords, or technic FLEX system cable if you want to mash, macerate, cut, or garotte the mouse to death, rather than slice him quickly and painlessly.

Okay, heres my awfully try-hard effort:

Heres my more serious sigfig (used for situations where Batsy won't fit in), greeting you with a smile X-D :

p1190737.jpg

And here it is in all it's uninspired glory: A storage box! *wacko* It has four sides, as you will see, each with EB written on it, so I can suck up to you guys and try to gain mercy votes! X-D

p1190738.jpg

p1190740.jpg

p1190741.jpg

p1190742.jpg

p1190743.jpg

But what shall I put in it?

p1190746.jpg

Lego of course! :-D

p1190748.jpg

Now heres the story:

There I was walkng along my MOC when I spied iamded in disguise (the mechanical arm was a dead giveaway!).

p1190750.jpg

I decided that this was the time to finish my adversary the old-fashioned way: By pickaxe! X-O

p1190751.jpg

But I just couldn't bring myself to kill my old foe, I had gotten too used to him! :'-)

p1190752.jpg

Unfortunately he was waiting for me, and so proceeded to bash my head in with the other old-fashioned way: The shovel! X-O

p1190754.jpg

And so I lay defeated amongst pirates, islanders and stormtroopers! :'-( As iamded looked down in victory!

p1190755.jpg

I WILL GET YOU IAMDED! *skull* And I did! ;-)

p1190756.jpg

Hope you enjoyed! :-) And sorry for the large pics! :-$

Batbrick Away! >:-)

Edited by Batbrick

Okie guys and gals,

I finally took pic of my very impressive and fantastic... pen holder !! What a lousy idea but I couldn't get something else so I decided that my black office would benefit from a little Lego touch :-P

So here is my pen holder !!

pen_holder_01.jpg

Yeay its a bit black so I decided to add a yellow/red mosaic

pen_holder_02.jpg

pen_holder_03.jpg

Here is a close up of the pen "tower"

pen_holder_04.jpg

And as you see, the side is totally translucid

pen_holder_05.jpg

Now here is that baby put in good use on my desk :-P

pen_holder_06.jpg

Enjoy !!

*yoda*

Well, here's mine!

key_rack_in_use.jpg

A Keychain Rack! Perfect for storing all your SW Keychains! Or, you know, house keys and other not so important stuff... :-P

key_rack-front.jpg

The front. It's supposed to be some sort of rooftop... I was gonna add to the bottom of it, give it a more building feel, but I don't have any big glass window pieces. X-D

key_rack-back.jpg

The back. I put those circley things there so it wouldn't scratch or scrape against the wall. *sweet*

COMIC TIME! :-D

Batman was on a rooftop in Gotham city, but so was Spider-man. Batman was confused as to why Spider-man was in a DC Universe city, when he was clearly Marvel. Spider-man replied that it was actually New York he was in, not Gotham, and that Batman was in the wrong. After a long debate, which ended in a fight, Spider-man managed to web up Batman and hang him from the rooftop.

-But Batman managed to cut his way out with a Batarang.

2046033436_ed1f400838.jpg

He scales the web, and blasts Spidey with his Anti-insectoid-based-enemy Bat-spray! (Microsoft Paint for the win! :-P)

2045244007_f8d6fab837.jpg

Spiderman falls to his doom, with Batman standing victorious on a rooftop of Gotham City.

2046034792_f355bba655.jpg

Then iamded steps in and sees Batman. Mistaking him for Batbrick, he whacks him with his hammer, sending him falling to his doom. >:-)

2046035574_d4aa689cb1.jpg

Well, thanks for looking, and good luck to the other contestants!

~Peace

Edited by iamded