trekman

[MOC] JCB 1CX with remote pneumatic functions

I present to you my effort in making a MOC of a JCB 1CX.

The aim of this project was to incorporate a couple of features.

1. Motorised pneumatic switch compressor units

2. Transmit power to the "power slide" unit and backhoe rotation through 16L axles and sliding red 8T gears/ worm gears.

Also to maintain the scale of the model as much as possible.

Please bear in mind that the full size machine has an hydraulic pump which will fit within a 300x300x300mm space. In my MOC, a large part of the space below the seat and above the drive motor is consumed with the 6 mini pumps, 3 motors, and 9 switches. Being able to maintain the scaled dimensions even that this scale was a challenge, especially with all the functions.

The basic principle of the pneumatic system is that three motors operate the 3 switches and power 2 pumps each. In rear mode this will operate the three cylinders on the backhoe. Moving the seat forward diverts the air flow in these six pipes to be sent to the front to operate the loader functions. The drive to the wheels was always kept on a separate IR channel, allowing the wheels to be driven when in front loader mode.

After much trial and error, I did manage to get the powerslide on the backhoe working really well, This also allowed 170 degree rotation of the rear backhoe. However we are building in plastic, and as time progressed, and the addition of pipe work and additional weight, the rear backhoe does no longer function as well as intended. The powerslide frame has started to sag and struggle under friction. (The real machine would use grease here).

The drive to the wheels was good intially, and could be further geared down through the horizontally mounted portal units.

Due to the clearance required for the front lift cylinders, the bonnet is slightly narrower than normal.

From a visual point of view, I am please with how the model worked out. Further improvements could be made to the pneumatics, but that required a major redesign, of which I am not prepared to do at this time.

Your comments are welcomed.

Each motor provided pumped air flow in both directions through the switch. This allowed Infra Red remote control of the pneumatic cylinder. The cylinder is pumped out to a position or pumped back to a position. This allowed more accuracy on a pneumatic system than we would be used with. As normally it requires very fine adjustment of a pneumatic switch to create slight movement on a pneumatic cylinder.

I am aware that performance has turned out to be poorer than I had hoped. But the significance is that the pneumatic system did work.

The problem with one motor and six pumps, is that you have a lot of air, but little control. Linear actuators do offer the positional accuracy, but I did want to have the JCB 1CX to be as close to the real machine as possible.

Thanks for the interest.

Great job on managing to stuff all those functions in this small space. However, could you by chance supply a drawing of the technical and pneumatic setup. I have to admit, I just do not understand it.

Really cool backhoe,and some great music to complement it too. :tongue:

I am working on a pneumatic dozer but plane on it being wireless through PF servos or standard PF motors. :classic: