Chilly_Productions

Have you ever felt judged for liking LEGO?

Waiting to read tips from a male AFOL who buys Friends sets on the regular. :wink:

The last "Friend" set that would apply to this topic. (I got the one with the dolphin.) The cashier ask me if it was for my daughter and I simply replied "Sure". (I was getting bandages too at Walgreens.) But I usually tend to go to stores that have self-check outs and it seems I am getting food too, along with the LEGO.

Unfortunately no one looks at me strangely, but I secretly wish they would.. I am pretty proud of my immaturity, I find "normal" people boring. I do sometimes hear other people in the store over-explaining why they are buying lego and who it's for which I find a bit strange.

Edited by Sven F

But I usually tend to go to stores that have self-check outs and it seems I am getting food too, along with the LEGO.

They are my friend, haha. I'd like to say the same applies in this case, but Target's gone and Wal-Mart no longer has them. But yeah, that's a good way of getting around it.

I've got weird looks when I'm feeling the CMF bags

Ya, the cmf thing gets me looks. I'll often grab a handful of bags at Target and dump them in my cart. Then I'll feel the bags as I walk the store shopping, keeps me out of the kids aisle and away from concerned parents.

Most of my students know I have Lego, several of them made jokes about it but when they saw my stop motion films they had a new appreciation for it. Also, on the last day of the semester, I found buzz, woody, spongebob, and Patrick on my desk! I'd say it was worth the jokes for that :classic:

I used to get funny looks and I also think It depends which store you go and how often you buy at the same place. I'm a regular at some toy stores and I don't get funny looks. Even not when asking If It's a present, so they could wrap It in blind packaging. I mostly admit straightforward that It's for me, depending how I feel at the moment.

But why lie about it? IMO, that plays right into the idea that AFOLs are weird, adult-children. There are definitely weirder hobbies to lie about than Lego. Look, if adults can collect superhero toys and not get a second look, then we can collect Lego and not get second looks, by Jove! :laugh:

^^^ Agreed.

I ask again why you would care if someone judged you negatively for building with LEGO? I actually had this discussion with someone who, at a family gathering made a comment about my hobby. So I asked what his hobby was, and he said "sports." And I looked at him and smirked because I know I am more physically active than he is and I asked "what sports do you play?"

Ha!

"I'm a fan, I watch sports, I can tell you just about any statistic you want to know!"

So I just shrugged and said something along the lines of "so you sit around watching other people play sports, and you're making fun of my hobby that lets me have fun, have a creative outlet, something interactive and that makes me think, that I can do with my kids if they want, and make cool, interesting conversation starters that I put on display at work? OK."

Nothing against sports fans, but if spectating is your hobby, then you have no rights to make fun of pretty much any hobby.

Right now at work I have on display a shadow box with the company from the Hobbit with a map of Middle Earth as a background (to be fair, I was inspired by someone on bricklink), the first four architecture buildings (also in a shadow box with a cloud background), the Mystery Machine in a display cube (with added Velma and Daphne), and a Kre-O Enterprise. They've all inspired random passers-by to just stop and talk about either the subject matter or the fact that it was LEGO (I do mention the Enterprise is Kre-O). In the past I've had tons of Star Wars ships, including the full size AT AT, a CMF display, Indiana Jones, and Harry Potter. All proudly on display.

To be fair, I work for Turner Broadcasting - home of Cartoon Network and Scooby Doo, as well as Newline Cinema (LOTR and Hobbit), and we're all owned by WB (Harry Potter). A lot of the people in the creative departments have offices filled with toys, shelves of Star Wars ships (not LEGO) and tons of other stuff, including home-made stuff.

I think the fact that I also work in the creative sector has given me plenty of opportunity to show off Lego without any awkwardness.

When I was at my last agency and we re-arranged the office I took my Falcon in and out it on display alongside someone's VW Camper.

There's plenty of very wealthy Japanese Executives with shelves full of toys in their offices to make me feel better about my hobby should I ever feel the need for approval... which I don't, thankfully. ;)

I couldn't care less really, I'm not sure if I get judging looks or the face of frantic parental realisation that here is walking talking proof that their children can see and hear to exist.

A little context I guess: Kids of any age being told by their parents that they are too old for X/Y/Z are somewhat thwarted by a trio of adults in the form of me, my sister and her husband excitedly discussing the latest Dolls/Ponies/LEGO/Hotwheels/Star Wars products etc on the shelves and walking off with a few toys in our basket or trolley before we start any grocery shopping. Thus foiled, the parent has to make up some other excuse.

That's only in supermarkets though. Anywhere else, you are more likely to be treated as a product expert.

Though I have never been ashamed or secretive about LEGO as a hobby. It is in my CV, I have travelled around the world because of it. I have some great friends though the hobby and a lot of skills developed through this hobby.

The only time I was ever surprised at the checkout was in The LEGO Store buying a pirate set earlier in the year (before my points expired) and the cashier didn't expect it to be for me. He was also surprised to hear of my plans to buy the Ninjago Temple... I'm not sure if that was the being an adult or being female thing. Odd really for someone in the actual LEGO Store.

Waiting to read tips from a male AFOL who buys Friends sets on the regular. :wink:

Oh hey! That's me! :laugh:

I don't care at all what people think of me buying Lego, it makes me happy, so I could care less what everyone thinks. *walks to register with 300 bucks of friends sets*

I've been relatively lucky. The weirdest look I got was from either a Target or Walmart a year or so ago. The LEGO Store has never given me a problem and I usually get to talk to them about new sets and rumors. I saw another guy in a Target one time with his girlfriend, probably late 20s, and we had a five minute conversation about sets.

The weirdest looks I've gotten have been from my fraternity brothers but after the first time they understood and now whenever I have a new one in my room, they love to come see and have me show them all the features.

I am 77 and just returning from the dark side. Being older and with a slight attitude I've used the looks to start conversations. I'm into the robotics and technic so use it as an excuse to tell them about that. I really had fun at a show when the grandparents accompanied the family. They like talking to an older person.

Oh hey! That's me! :laugh:

I don't care at all what people think of me buying Lego, it makes me happy, so I could care less what everyone thinks. *walks to register with 300 bucks of friends sets*

Haha. Lovely. We should talk Friends sets. :grin:

I get this all the time, the worse being the last place you'd think to ever feel judged for buying Lego. Legoland.The cashier gave me the awkward look as I placed 2x Modulars and a large Architecture set on his desk. He followed this up with an awkward 'so is this for you?' .... To which when i replied yes he gave his close colleague the 'WTF' face. It was very confusing for me as I suspected they get people like this everyday but it did make me feel pretty awful ;(

I'm quite open about my hobby, so when I meet new people and we are talking about hobbies, Lego is one of the first thing I mention. Of course, the first expression in their face is "WTF" and they think it's childish, but when I tell them a bit more, for example about my MOCs or about the whole community they are often impressed.

I think people today have the picture of Lego that it is only a toy for kids and they don't know that you can do a lot more than just building sets. Also when I show them pictures from shows they sometimes hardly believe that all the models are made of only with Lego bricks.

A little context I guess: Kids of any age being told by their parents that they are too old for X/Y/Z are somewhat thwarted by a trio of adults in the form of me, my sister and her husband excitedly discussing the latest Dolls/Ponies/LEGO/Hotwheels/Star Wars products etc on the shelves and walking off with a few toys in our basket or trolley before we start any grocery shopping. Thus foiled, the parent has to make up some other excuse.

Lolz! That reminds me of the Lego excursions my brother and I go on. Two full-grown, big, 6 feet + men examining Lego sets with interest. Sure we get weird looks, but it's awesome! (And not in a weird "I want attention" kind of way). But we've never been questioned..... probably cuz of our good looks and snazzy clothes :wink::laugh: .

Well I got some slightly odd looks at work when I mentioned the Friends advent calendar looked better than the Star Wars one. Although I think everyone is already convinced I'm nuts anyway!

This is for you

1923649_972634302794273_4261132382627971932_n.jpg?oh=5749e2672b9bf538624ab4c3e647b736&oe=570412BC

Haha. Thanks, Robert8. Maybe just add some curtains on the ends to make it like a photo booth? Oh, and thick bags. Can't forget that. :laugh:

Well I got some slightly odd looks at work when I mentioned the Friends advent calendar looked better than the Star Wars one. Although I think everyone is already convinced I'm nuts anyway!

To be fair, it has some nice accessories! Particularly like the winter sports equipment.

I get this all the time, the worse being the last place you'd think to ever feel judged for buying Lego. Legoland.The cashier gave me the awkward look as I placed 2x Modulars and a large Architecture set on his desk. He followed this up with an awkward 'so is this for you?' .... To which when i replied yes he gave his close colleague the 'WTF' face. It was very confusing for me as I suspected they get people like this everyday but it did make me feel pretty awful ;(

In that case I'd make sure to find some sort of survey to fill out and let them know how their cashiers are behaving. And be sure to mention the day and time.

I don't have much issue with this but I will say I'm not a fan of how LEGO store employees often ask you who you're shopping for. Not because I'm embarrassed but because I'd rather be left alone when shopping and not have to engage in pointless banter and explanations.

I have no shame when buying Friends sets. Perfect example was today.

23448842414_1b4d0f5ee3_z.jpgWent to the LEGO Store to just buy one thing, I could not pass up a sale on friends sets. by Chris Rozek, on Flickr

Just Gotta walk up to the register with a big smile, and if they ask who the lucky girl is, I just said "It's for me!" Hahaha!

I think I'll go back to the LEGO Store and clean them out of the rest of the friends sale stuff.

Friends sets on sale? Sweet. I'd probably be the same way, haha. Let me know what you think of the Vet Clinic if you decide to build it.

I'm the sort of person that spends their life not giving a crap.

Needless to say, I require a lot of laxative for that problem...

All jokes aside, I am negatively judged on occasion but I care not.

I took a LEGO mosaic of a local theatre's logo to the theatre and they loved it to pieces.

Not literally, fortunately for me. But they loved it.

The most ridiculous conversation I've had with someone who was negatively commenting on my hobby went like so:

(Kid is playing with some LEGO he brought in a lunchbox)

Me: I love LEGO!

Kid: Really?

Me: Heck yes. Can I join you?

Kid: Sure!

(I begin to build. A person comes to observe. She speaks.)

Person: Aren't you too old to be playing with LEGOs?

Me: (Ignoring the plural pronunciation) Nope. I am not.

Person: Uhh...Yeah you are. Legos are for kids.

Me: I'm a kid at heart.

Person: Whatever.

(Later)

Person: You're way too old to be playing with toys. You should be doing more mature things.

Me: Oh really?

Person: Yeah.

Me: LEGO is my hobby. I have the mind of a six-to-twelve year old. I enjoy building with toys.

Person: But they're for little kids! You should be doing less childish things!

Me: (Getting annoyed) So you're telling me there's nothing left from your childhood you still enjoy?

Person: ...No.

Me: Really? I don't believe you. What is it?

Person: (Quietly)...I really like Barbie.

You can imagine how hilarious this must have been. It gave me lots of fodder for hypocrisy jokes or whatnot.

In hindsight, I think she may have been attempting (Poorly) to flirt with me.

Oh well.

In conclusion to my long meandering screenplay-speech, I don't feel awkward for buying LEGO.

I always feel awkward. Awkward is my thing. I have suggested my friends refer to me as Doctor Awkward, shortened to "Doc. Awk".

I may have to get a doctorate before they actually do that, but It'll happen eventually! Mark my words! Doc. Awk will live!

Edited by Actor Builder