23201287454_ecba043ddd_b.jpgXL differential MK II by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

A newer more compact design for a XL differential, my previous version was rather large, I simplified the design of it and replaced the perpendicular meshed gears with a linear setup, this makes the differential smaller in width by 2 studs. I am uncertain if the 16z gears will skip under high torque, but they could be replaced with knob gears if that happens.

here's the first version 17061951286_43ae66b0b7_b.jpgdifferential xl V3 by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Tommy nice work,

but I got bad experience with knob gears. Under high torque (2 XL Motors in my Tatra 8x8 development version) the side knob gears started to screw the axles on which they were and the whole system started to skidding. After while all the 3 knob gears were damaged. The problem is that the side knob gear axles are free on inner side and not reinforced...

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Tommy nice work,

but I got bad experience with knob gears. Under high torque (2 XL Motors in my Tatra 8x8 development version) the side knob gears started to screw the axles on which they were and the whole system started to skidding. After while all the 3 knob gears were damaged. The problem is that the side knob gear axles are free on inner side and not reinforced...

Max...

It will be interesting what happens when I put 4 coupled XL motors through one of these...

In my case I got 1 XL motor on each side and wanted to drive the middle axle in Tatra...

Here the result:

20151219_013754.jpg

Later I changed the whole config and used the 4 XL Motors. Maybe have you seen my topic:

http://www.eurobrick...pic=118089&st=0

Max

I have never had that happen to my knob gears, though I haven't examined them that closely for a while. I have on of my 40z gears get a slight distortion to the entire gear flexing in the middle, thought it still functions fine.

Looks great and sturdy... Again use Blender very nice... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...as we might expect from you :thumbup:

What I don't see is how is it powered? Where does the drive shaft enter this XL dif?

Looks great and sturdy... Again use Blender very nice... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...as we might expect from you :thumbup:

What I don't see is how is it powered? Where does the drive shaft enter this XL dif?

You'd use one or both of the small turntables.

Tommy nice work,

Max...

I think that may simply be because of the massive load on those axles.

Well I mounted these in a moc, they seem to work fine... But the main issue is with the axles that drove it, I reinforced everything heavily, but It still twisted a 8 stud long axle and bent a 1 stud long portion at the end of a 4 axle with stop... this part was meshed with a axle joiner... well back to using directly coupled XL motors to the drive sprockets.