SkaForHire

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Introduction and Starting Thread

31 minutes ago, Jacob Nion said:

I would love to have a nation being inspired by the Netherlands, because of their importance in the age of sail.

I have always viewed Eslandola and its trade companies as partially inspired by the Netherlands (breaking away from Mardier/Spain). Additionally, the rebels in the Mardierian civil war are known as the "United Provinces forces." And I had it in my head from somewhere that the color for Garvey (also a breakaway from Mardier) was orange, but in the post above it says they're purple, so maybe I'm wrong there. But there is material to work with for a fan of the Dutch in the Age of Sail.

Somewhere, we discussed Altonia as inspired by the Netherlands. But fact of the matter is, nothing in here really is anything other than what is being shown in builds. And since so few of the NPC nations have had any representation, interpretation is rather free. :pir-blush:

I just want to build forts. I don't have much interest in ship building. Which faction would be best for this?

4 minutes ago, Fox Womb said:

I just want to build forts. I don't have much interest in ship building. Which faction would be best for this?

Hi Fox Womb, welcome to BoBs!

Every faction needs forts, so I am sure you will fit in every faction :)

As I am a member of Eslandola, I know we would welcome you with open arms! We already have a decent fleet and our settlements need more protection as we are in war with a NPC faction :)

27 minutes ago, Fox Womb said:

Basically you can just build forts for all of the nations, but intuitively I'd say Corrington should be your go-to and the Sea Rats are probably the worst faction for you. But you should also make it dependent on your style:

Corrington: Order, style, strength. (like colonial Britain)

Oleon: Magnitude, architectural aspects (like colonial France)

Eslandola: impressive and opportunistic (like colonial Spain, Portugal, Netherlands)

Sea Rats: Pirate Forts

44 minutes ago, blackdeathgr said:

...On the other hand, Oleon was traditionally famous for its strong fortification and forts. :wink:

Seconded.

2 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

...On the other hand, Oleon was traditionally famous for its strong fortification and forts. :wink:

And on a third hand, Eslandola is notorious for capturing Oleon forts.  So you could be Eslandian and build Oleon style forts and just say they were captured.

:pir-grin: :pir-laugh:

46 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

And on a third hand, Eslandola is notorious for capturing Oleon forts.  So you could be Eslandian and build Oleon style forts and just say they were captured.

I'll chime in for giggles.  Try being an independent (i.e. Sea Rat) architect, and sell your forts to the highest bidder or even work as a consultant.  That doesn't hem you in to one design style and you won't be stuck with any faction rules or schemes, because the SR don't play that way.  We're the "do as you feel like" group.

Plus we have the most Canucks. :D

Edited by Kwatchi

20 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Last I checked, Breshaun, Eltina, Lavalette, Acropolis, Crecopia, Dragonstone, Astrapi, Windfall, and Fatu Hiva were in Oleander hands, so therefore your argument is invalid. :pir-sweet:

Unless you mean En Contra Oleon, but that didn't work out either, didn't it? :pir-grin:

Edited by Brandon Stark

5 hours ago, Fox Womb said:

Regardless of what you like to build, I'm certain any of the factions would welcome you. In general, I suggest you look at the first post in each faction's topic to get a better sense of the lore and culture of each faction and then choose the faction based on that. Of course, you could always choose a faction based on colors or uniforms (which is what I did:grin:).

6 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

Regardless of what you like to build, I'm certain any of the factions would welcome you. In general, I suggest you look at the first post in each faction's topic to get a better sense of the lore and culture of each faction and then choose the faction based on that. Of course, you could always choose a faction based on colors or uniforms (which is what I did:grin:).

Bluecoats yay!

I think I'm going to jump in on this too. I've been getting a pirate/Age of Sails itch again. Just now doing research on factions.

Great to see some new players! Let us know if you have any questions :)

Also, regardless of what faction you join, I am certain they will be helpful too.

As to faction choice, I have only one thing to say. Aaand it's going to be huuuuge...

Corrington first!! :P

15 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Great to see some new players! Let us know if you have any questions :)

Also, regardless of what faction you join, I am certain they will be helpful too.

As to faction choice, I have only one thing to say. Aaand it's going to be huuuuge...

Corrington first!! :P

I read that LDD is fine for general builds and all. That still the case? I'm currently away from my collection and LDD is the only way for me to build right now. The EGS seems like a lot to take in, but I think I'll figure it out.

Just now, KotZ said:

I read that LDD is fine for general builds and all. That still the case? I'm currently away from my collection and LDD is the only way for me to build right now. The EGS seems like a lot to take in, but I think I'll figure it out.

Yes, LDD is fine. There have been lots of good digital designs so far. :thumbup: But you are strongly encouraged to render the designs. :classic:

1 minute ago, KotZ said:

Yes, LDD is fine. We have several members who build in LDD.

And don't worry about the ESG. When you join a faction, your leaders can help clear any confusion.

18 minutes ago, KotZ said:

Like Captain Dee and Captain Genaro said, LDD is still fine. I'm one of the members who build in LDD.

39 minutes ago, KotZ said:

LDD is fine.  But do note that LDD entries for Challenges (contests) are ineligible to win physical prizes when there are physical prizes to be won.

19 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

I'll chime in for giggles.  Try being an independent (i.e. Sea Rat) architect, and sell your forts to the highest bidder or even work as a consultant.  That doesn't hem you in to one design style and you won't be stuck with any faction rules or schemes, because the SR don't play that way.  We're the "do as you feel like" group.

Plus we have the most Canucks. :D

Maybe I will do this. It fits my real-life budget a lot better.

I'm also thinking about going Corrington. One, because all I have for soldiers are modern redcoats, and two, because I like the style of the redcoat faction.

12 hours ago, Legostone said:

Btw, considering the MRCA results are still unpublished, when can we expect the next MRCA?

Asking the real questions here...

Well, I hope we can make sure it won't be too much off schedule. If that's not possible/wanted, there might be another option. I'll text you.

1 minute ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

Asking the real questions here...

Well, I hope we can make sure it won't be too much off schedule. If that's not possible/wanted, there might be another option. I'll text you.

I would request at least 1 week after publishing the results so we have some time to think about our fleet setup.