SkaForHire

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Introduction and Starting Thread

Results! Be still, my heart! That and a pre-Thanksgiving binge of Gilmore Girls. Hugs all around. Now the damaged Lego pieces, and the kitchen floor that must be mopped before tomorrow won't get me down. So says this domestic house minifig.

Ooh if EGS becomes twice as big, does that mean the character development skills will be implemented as well?

Not sure anymore what has been agreed on this, but one can licence a ship as landbased property if one does not use the ship in the MRCA if I am right?

I guess this would be a commercial property?

And what seize?

1 minute ago, Maxim I said:

Not sure anymore what has been agreed on this, but one can licence a ship as landbased property if one does not use the ship in the MRCA if I am right?

I guess this would be a commercial property?

And what seize?

This only makes sense if the ship is permanently moored, and has some sort of activity (eg. commercial or artisan) going on onboard. Otherwise, ships belong in the MRCA.

Sizes will be the same - depending on footprint.

4 minutes ago, Bregir said:

This only makes sense if the ship is permanently moored, and has some sort of activity (eg. commercial or artisan) going on onboard. Otherwise, ships belong in the MRCA.

Sizes will be the same - depending on footprint.

In my opinion, it also makes sense if it is for example a transport vessel between 2 points.

Anyway, as long as it is not licenced as a ship, it is not a problem if I understand correctly?

About size: what about a scaled vessel?

3 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

In my opinion, it also makes sense if it is for example a transport vessel between 2 points.

Just build one of those points along with the vessel. That'll help 'selling' your idea :wink:

4 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

Tricky - I'd go with 'No, but...'

Apply the BoBS Rule of Thumb, or Code of Honour: Ask yourself if the effort you've put into a project justifies the license you seek.

26 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

As KB says, then you should build a ferry station and a ferry. (Or a loading dock and a barge, or whatever) And in that case, you could license the station or dock as property and the vessel as... a vessel.

Of course, it all depends on how the story is. So far, I believe we have only one example of a vessel licensed as a property, and that is Tomsche's little boat of pleasure, moored in Quinnsville.

29 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

Anyway, as long as it is not licenced as a ship, it is not a problem if I understand correctly?

No, Maxim, I don't think that will fly. If it fits as a property, it makes sense, but if it is a ship sailing it belongs in the MRCA.

30 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

Precedence has been set several times. For property you HAVE to meet the stud count. I don't think we should open this discussion once more.

19 minutes ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

Apply the BoBS Rule of Thumb, or Code of Honour: Ask yourself if the effort you've put into a project justifies the license you seek.

Indeed. And not all rules need to be bent... :pir-wink: :pir_tong2:

17 minutes ago, Bregir said:

As KB says, then you should build a ferry station and a ferry. (Or a loading dock and a barge, or whatever) And in that case, you could license the station or dock as property and the vessel as... a vessel.

Of course, it all depends on how the story is. So far, I believe we have only one example of a vessel licensed as a property, and that is Tomsche's little boat of pleasure, moored in Quinnsville.

No, Maxim, I don't think that will fly. If it fits as a property, it makes sense, but if it is a ship sailing it belongs in the MRCA.

Precedence has been set several times. For property you HAVE to meet the stud count. I don't think we should open this discussion once more.

Indeed. And not all rules need to be bent... :pir-wink: :pir_tong2:

So they can be seen as part of a landbased property... A rowing boat near a fish cottage for example :)

But historically seen, a ship can be moored and be used as an education, residence, jail, ... .

Famous example: HMS Worcester

So, a ship that will not be part of the MRCA, should be able to be licenced as a property...

Just now, Maxim I said:

But historically seen, a ship can be moored and be used as an education, residence, jail, ... .

Famous example: HMS Worcester

I think I already covered that:

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

Just now, Maxim I said:

So they can be seen as part of a landbased property... A rowing boat near a fish cottage for example :)

Sure.

1 minute ago, Maxim I said:

So, a ship that will not be part of the MRCA, should be able to be licenced as a property...

Nope - not going to agree on that wording. Ships are ships. A hulk moored in a harbour with some activity going on onboard like the Worchester is a perfect example of that! :pir_tong2:

7 minutes ago, Bregir said:

I think I already covered that:

Sure.

Nope - not going to agree on that wording. Ships are ships. A hulk moored in a harbour with some activity going on onboard like the Worchester is a perfect example of that! :pir_tong2:

But if that hulk needs a mast for its activities (for example if it is a ship where naval students are teached how to sail and navigate), it should work as well? :classic:

To reverse this whole discussion:

I bought a class 3T2 and I am looking if it would be possible to make a land based property out of it (navigation academy or a whale hunter). It won't be for right now as I want to check first how the new MRCA is surprising me, but one should know his options :D

If you're going to use a ship as a property i.e. permanently in one place (education, jail, etc.) there should be no problem licensing it under the appropriate category with the appropriate footprint.  Likewise there should be no problem micro scaling it as long as you're still licensing it according to the footprint (not according to what the footprint would have been if it weren't micro-scale).  However, if the ship isn't going to be permanently moored, then you need to present whatever the reason behind it is, and that reason is what is going to be licensed.  I.e. you build a fisher's hut, and you want to include a little fisher's skiff.  Absolutely fine.  But what's really being licensed is more the hut than the skiff.  Or you build a ferry station and you include a ferry.  Again, absolutely fine and the ferry can help meet the footprint.  But what's really being licensed is more the station than the ship.

A solitary exception perhaps would be houseboats, which I could conceivably see licensed as residences?  But no one's going to get rich off such a thing.

So with your specific example; if you permanently moor your 3T2 and present a justification in bricks for considering it a jail or an educational facility or whatever, I don't see any problem with licensing it as a property.  BUT if you just post a ship topic and say at the end, "this is for education," that doesn't cut it.

What if the ship is still the main part of a build? I've been considering building a sheer hulk (Something like this, so basically a former frigate) for example. Also: unfinished ships in shipyards would be another example.

Just now, Legostone said:

What if the ship is still the main part of a build? I've been considering building a sheer hulk (Something like this, so basically a former frigate) for example. Also: unfinished ships in shipyards would be another example.

Those make perfect sense, as they are more akin to property than ships. While they might move around the harbour, they would not make sense in the MRCA. Instead, they make perfect sense as businesses in some settlement.

@Kai NRG: I agree entirely. If we see a brick representation of the ship being turned into property that is fine. (Subject to the normal stud requirements, etc.)

6 hours ago, Maxim I said:

I bought a class 3T2 and I am looking if it would be possible to make a land based property out of it (navigation academy or a whale hunter). It won't be for right now as I want to check first how the new MRCA is surprising me, but one should know his options :D

Ah, why didn't you say so. So, you are asking if you could register a ship licence as a property. Two things that comes to mind; A 3T2 cost 200db to licence. A property costs 5-75dbs (3000 for royal); The trade-off that is being offered here are what have to be considered. To me it seems reasonable to allow for a small or medium license(?), with less stud count allowed (footprint of the vessel, since the db trade-off are present. Building a quay to it, and a body of water, would be an easy way to make the stud count bigger and at the same time provide a better presentation. I see no problem here, but the powers that be would have to set precedents here. I am also curios about the outcome.

Edit: Is it already lisenced as a ship in the MRCA? I like the thought of retiring ships into properties. It would be nice if we could do that at some point. Does it involve much manual labor to erase them from the MRCA and remove the lisence cost on the desired property?

Edited by Sir Stig

On 30/11/2016 at 10:54 PM, Elostirion said:

The Grand Road of Nellisa - looking for judges!

If you are interested in determining the winners of the mini-challenge in three interesting categories - please let me know!

Judges from all nationalities welcome!

Like I said before in the Grand Road of Nellisa topic I am in for judging !

Thank you Ayrlego, and thank you Faladrin (yeah, you were still on my list Mr. Applefan). Anyone else as a third and final judge?

Due to a computer breaking down with all the rolls, we are currently in the process of some fire fighting regarding the MRCA. Will keep you all posted.