800x600.jpg

With a parts count of allmost 3500 (!) parts, it's my biggest MOC up until now and together with the Backhoe Loader V2 (with 9 motorized functions using 8 motors) it's the most complex.

Using Manitou equipment as inspiration and reference, I finally got to building a fully functional, motorized, remote controlled, rotating telehandler. The chassis and the upperstructure are essentially 2 different models which can easily be separated and joined. Each has it's own PF receivers (or SBrick) and batterybox.

Chassis

Here's a list of all the functions:

• * 4-wheel motorized drive (with 1 XL-motor)
  • * 4-wheel steering with return to centre
  • * 3 different steering modes: normal, crab and 4-wheel steering
  • * Outriggers can be extended and lowered

The chassis contains a double switch to selects between "drive-mode" and "outrigger-mode". The double switch uses the new driving-rings to switch the functions of 2 motors. In driving mode the motors operate the driving of the model and the switch that selects the steering mode. There are 2 steering modes: normal steering, where only the front wheels turn. Second is 4-wheels steering, where the front and rear-axle turn in oppisite directions. And third is crab-steering, where the axles turn in the same direction. This makes it possible to make sideways-movements with the vehicle in small spaces. It's accomplished by using servo-motors for turning the axles. The front-servo always truns the direction in which you push the controll. The rear-servo is driven by a PF-switch, which in it's turn is moved by an M-motor (with clutch gear). This way, both axles are allways synchronized, you can even change steering mode while the axles are turned.

In outrigger-mode, the 2 motors can extend and lower the outriggers (as you'd expect). Unfortunately, the 4 mini-actuators used for lowering the outriggers are not strong enough to lift the enourmous weight of the model.

The side panels open up to reveal some of the motors (on the left side) and the batterybox and receivers (on the right side).

The batterybox can easily be removed to change batteries.

Upperstructure

The upperstructure has 4 motorized functions:

• * Rotation of the complete upperstructure (with 1 L-motor)
  • * Raising the Boom (with 2 Linear actuators and 1 L-motor)
  • * Extending the boom with 3 sections (with 1 L-motor)
  • * Changing the angle of the attachment

One of the challenges of this model was making the attachment / hook up and down. The drivetrain for this function had to extend together with the extending arm. In the real machines this is done by neatly folding the hydrolics-hoses. In my moc, it's done by using the red sliding 8-tooth gears introduced in the 42009 Mobile Crane Mk II. The red gears slide along 32L axles togehter with the section of the boom they're attached to. This way, the drivwetrain can be extended to more than twice it's length.

Extending the boom is the weakest function of the model. Even when using rollers, there's a lot of friction when the 2 inner sections of the boom are sliding out of the base-section, each with it's own rate. It will not be able to lift a lot of weight.

Rotating the entire upperstructure is done with 1 L-motor. The new big turntable from the 42043-set was used and reinforced with 4 support wheels / rollers to ensure smooth 360+ rotation.

Since there are no wires running from the chassis to the upperstructure, the rotation is endless.

Again the batterybox can easily be removed to change batteries.

For cosmetic details, the cabin features an opening door, liftable lever (for better access to the chair) and detailed control panel.

Remote controll

The model can be controlled either with (4) power functions receivers and customized PF-joystick-controllers or with (2) SBricks. The building-instructions show the version with PF-components. But the PF-receivers can easily be replaces with SBricks, 1 SBrick in the Chassis and 1 in the upperstructions. This is my prefferred means of controll, as the ASBrick-system allows scontroll over the speed of the individual motors.

Building intructions

Complete building instructions for this model are available here. They come as a PDF-file of almost 600 pages accompanied with all the neccesary parts-lists.

800x450.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

Really nice telehandler with well integrated features. Its great that you provide the instructions. I saw a similar Manitou operating once when I was traveling in France, mostly there are JLGs around where I live.

That trully looks awesome! Did Blackbird help you with the half-transparent picture of motors and functions? I think a video would do the model justice.

Edited by Zblj

Awesome work a piece of Technic art. I will spend a very entertaining time with the half-transparent picture :laugh: , watching how you did it all :wink: .

Fantastic. The better it is that this type of vehicle is not being built that commonly. If only I was able to buy all the bricks, I'd definitely purchase your instructions. One day maybe. Great model!

Stunning work again Jurgen :wub: .

I saw your telelander already at Legoworld last oktober and works amazing smooth.

Also the renders from Blakbird are awesome :thumbup:

That trully looks awesome! Did Blackbird help you with the half-transparent picture of motors and functions? I think a video would do the model justice.

Yes, Blakbird made the transparent render. I can make instructions, but I cannot make renders like that :wink:

Fantastic. The better it is that this type of vehicle is not being built that commonly. If only I was able to buy all the bricks, I'd definitely purchase your instructions. One day maybe. Great model!

Thats the problem with many of these amazing creations... nearly impossible to collect all needed parts, but a very nice build none the less!

is it already listed in Rebrickable? i think not...

Hmm, yes, manitou is red, but i would assume it would be easier to built in yellow and black (red --> yellow, white --> black)... well, yes, construction eqipment in yellow is somehow borring but if i assume right, then 1 42009 and 1 42030 would be a really good starting point for this outstanding MOC built in yellow - Juergen, what would you say?

Top model, is now on my must build list :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :wub:

Nice machine and well built. Before the days of power functions I built a MRT from mostly studded technic, it had only a few motorised functions whereas this build has everything. I do like the 3 steering modes and the overall clean lines of this machine.

I am speechless, tho is a one of a kind beauty.

Would love to build it, but just don't have the money.

But what a engineering marble!!!!

Excellent Jurgen, thanks for another cool piece of equipment - this shall be my summer machinery project along with a bunch of GBC's - SBrick version of course.

Have you made an SBrick control interface?

It's beautiful. Somehow it looked much larger at first glance, it's just amazing how much stuff you managed to fit inside.

Does it have suspension (pendular rear axle)?

One feature think I've never seen in Lego telehandler models is an automatically levelling pallet fork (always keeping its angle as the boom rises). Does this model have such feature? (BTW I'm developing a telehandler for years now. Pretty much the only working feature it has yet is the automatic levelling...)

Edited by Lipko

Awww man, why did you build this so awesome? And did it have to be a manitou? Now my TC9 entry manitou will look inadequate :cry_happy:

is it already listed in Rebrickable? i think not...

Hmm, yes, manitou is red, but i would assume it would be easier to built in yellow and black (red --> yellow, white --> black)... well, yes, construction eqipment in yellow is somehow borring but if i assume right, then 1 42009 and 1 42030 would be a really good starting point for this outstanding MOC built in yellow - Juergen, what would you say?

Top model, is now on my must build list :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :wub:

Yes, the combination of 42009 and 42030 gives you a very good start. You'll be able to compare parts lists soon, as this model has been submitted to Rebrickable.

Okay, somehow I totally missed this... :sceptic: Sorry Jurgen! :classic:

Have seen this "thing" in real life at LEGO World here in the Netherlands last October! What an appearance, it is massive and so well constructed...as we might expect from Jurgen... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup::wub:

Hi Jurgen,

Great to hear news from you - with a impressive MOC! The electrical scheme looks really complex, so a must-build for me :classic: I think I've 90% of the necessary parts.

Greetings

Alex

I really like the look of this MOC so for sure I will build it. I have all the parts so the build starts today!! When I checked out the Manitou web page, your MOC follows the lines of the original design very well indeed!! Well done!! And thanks to Blakbird for the awesome renders

This machine is awesome!!!!!

Just one question, what is the reason for using a normal bb on the upper structure insted of a rechargeable bb?

Just ecstatic, costs or functional?

Just one question, what is the reason for using a normal bb on the upper structure insted of a rechargeable bb?

Just ecstatic, costs or functional?

Guess it is functional, it acts as counter weight, this is the heavies obvious... :classic:

Assuming that many potential customers for Juergen do not posses Even 1 rechargeable bb i would rather ask why the chassis do not use a standrad bb too?

I ain't a fan of the standard bb, they are bulky and removing it for replacing batteries and recharging all those batteries is a pain in the megablocks.