c0rnedfr0g

Non-Purist Superhero Figures

Many of us love to tinker with our minifigure parts to create new characters from the Marvel/DC/whatever universes.

I'm hoping this thread will serve the community by allowing us to all share, comment on, and critique our unique creations.

This is for Non-Purist Minifigs (those that contain elements that are non-Lego or have been modified by cutting, printing, erasing, painting, etc.).

Non-Purist Ra's al Ghul

rasalghul.jpg

Ha, this will hopefully counterbalance the sad ironic fact that the longest thread in the customization forum is a thread about purist, i.e by definition NOT custom superhero figs.

Non-Purist Apache Chief

I've got to admit, I never before today, realized I needed an Apache Chief minifig. That looks great!

Edited by LuxorV
Please do not quote images from the same page. Thank you.

24022655892_bb00375f19_n.jpgIMG_0132 by Robert Gomez, on Flickr

Wolverine, Juggernaut and Wade Wilson based of his early appearances in comics.

Side note, does anyone know what set juggernauts head came from? I know its Lego.

also wolverines head.

Edited by LuxorV
Removed unecessary quote and bold.

Do you guys mind briefly explaining what techniques you used to make these figures?

Non-Purist Apache Chief

What is non-purist about this, may I ask?

Ha, this will hopefully counterbalance the sad ironic fact that the longest thread in the customization forum is a thread about purist, i.e by definition NOT custom superhero figs.

As has already been said in the Purist thread, purism is a legitimate form of customization.

Wolverine, Juggernaut and Wade Wilson based of his early appearances in comics.

As I said to c0rnedfr0g about his Apache Chief, what makes these non-purist?

Juggernaut: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3626bpb0419&in=S

Wolverine: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3626bpb0417&in=S

Do you guys mind briefly explaining what techniques you used to make these figures?

I second this. There should be an explanation, even if its something like: "Paint."

For anyone who has purist ideas, and doesn't know what to do with them, the purist superhero thread can be found here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68912&st=0

This isnt shown in my photo, but often acrylic paint, birckarms and parts from knock-offs are what I use, And I know paint is often used. :laugh:

In response to TheBigRedCheese ´s comment,

First off, thanks for the the two heads, and secondly, Wolverine has custom molded claws, juggernaut with a slightly trimmed helmet and wade Wilson with a brickarms revolver. This may be small, and trust me my later posts will be in purist in multiple ways.

I use knockoff pieces, brickarms, acrylic paint, and razors to trim certain pieces

Edited by IronBoy

As has already been said in the Purist thread, purism is a legitimate form of customization.

This is like saying black coffee is my favourite form of Latte Machiato. Or white is my favourite kind of black.

If that were true, every MOC would be a work of customization. Everyone who builds a MOC would be a customizer. Everyone who gives a fig a new hat -as intended by a construction toy like lego- would be a customizer. This would make the term customization meaningless. Purism is by Definition the exact opposite and complete lack of customization, this absence makes it 'pure'.

Edited by Wardancer

Please, we discussed the purist vs non-purist approach in a number of threads in the past, to no avail.

They are two kinds of legitimate and personal approaches to the hobby.

As both can bring new ideas and fun to our community, we like to see and enjoy them both.

Let's leave it at that (or you can continue the discussion via the PM system).

Thanks. :classic:

Using a pencil eraser, I carefully removed bits of printing from the face (hair, facial hair, mouth, crow's feet). A Sharpie was used to change the pupils from white to green. Finally, some white paint was used on the hair piece.

3626bpb0565.jpg

For the other fig, the legs also had printing removed via pencil eraser to give it a more "leather hide with bead decorations" feel vs. the original "metal tech armor" feel.

970c59pb03.jpg

Everything else about the figs is purist. Thanks for looking!

For the other fig, the legs also had printing removed via pencil eraser to give it a more "leather hide with bead decorations" feel vs. the original "metal tech armor" feel.

Thanks for sharing, c0rnedfr0g! I quite like the Apache Chief! I think partially removing prints is very cool, because you can change style or expression, while still keeping them firmly within the Lego aesthetic!

Using a pencil eraser, I carefully removed bits of printing from the face (hair, facial hair, mouth, crow's feet). A Sharpie was used to change the pupils from white to green. Finally, some white paint was used on the hair piece.

Everything else about the figs is purist. Thanks for looking!

You're very welcome, and I appreciate the description! I may make one myself, if I can get some of those parts! :D

Please, we discussed the purist vs non-purist approach in a number of threads in the past, to no avail.

They are two kinds of legitimate and personal approaches to the hobby.

As both can bring new ideas and fun to our community, we like to see and enjoy them both.

Let's leave it at that (or you can continue the discussion via the PM system).

Thanks. :classic:

I agree, both purism and non-purism are valid, legitimate approaches to the Lego hobby, and for the future, I will do my best to curtail off-topic discussions, or, as you suggested, use the PM system.

This is like saying black coffee is my favourite form of Latte Machiato. Or white is my favourite kind of black.

If that were true, every MOC would be a work of customization. Everyone who builds a MOC would be a customizer. Everyone who gives a fig a new hat -as not intended by a construction toy like lego- would be a customizer. This would make the term customization meaningless. Purism is by definition the exact opposite and complete lack of customization, this absence makes it 'pure'.

Not that I want to continue this argument any further, but I would like to say that I feel as though your comment takes my point to its logical extreme, and then some. I didn't mean to imply that anyone who moves a single brick out of place, or, in your example, gives a fig a new hat, is a customizer.

In any case, I myself currently engage in both practices, and I love to see what happens in both camps.

If you wish to further this discussion however, feel free to PM me, and I will do my best to respond promptly. :) Happy building!

In response to TheBigRedCheese ´s comment,

First off, thanks for the the two heads, and secondly, Wolverine has custom molded claws, juggernaut with a slightly trimmed helmet and wade Wilson with a brickarms revolver. This may be small, and trust me my later posts will be in purist in multiple ways.

I use knockoff pieces, brickarms, acrylic paint, and razors to trim certain pieces

As for the heads, you're very welcome! As for the information about the figs and your customization preferences, I appreciate it, and thank you very much!

Edited by TheBigRedCheese

I did in no way want to say that any form of building is less valuable than any other.

I shall not discuss this here further as requested. Especially not in a thread that starts with a perfectly fine definition of customizing. I was just a bit worried because the custom forum is swarming with purist threads, but if terminological uncertainties keep this forum alive then so mote it be.

Back on topic, I command myself:

C0rnedfrogs figs bring attention to partially removing prints, something I have never tried. Thanks for that.

If I find the time, I am going to browse a few torsos and legs on bricklink and see what could be taken away. Maybe for example the minotaur's legs could make something interesting if the hooves were removed.

If something does drive me to kick the purist bucket, it will be removing all the stupid claw prints from Chima Legs.

Me too. Chima is frustrating, being almost completely incompatible with all the other lines. Every torso has a freaky orb on the chest, every head is a monster animal and nearly all the legs have claws. At least you can get rid of the claws without damaging whatever print made it worth interesting in the first place. The other parts, not so much.

Me too. Chima is frustrating, being almost completely incompatible with all the other lines. Every torso has a freaky orb on the chest, every head is a monster animal and nearly all the legs have claws. At least you can get rid of the claws without damaging whatever print made it worth interesting in the first place. The other parts, not so much.

The back prints make pretty good torsos if you flip the arms, and use a cape or something to hide the orb on the back. Still definitely some of the most useless minifigure parts from clearance sets.

Nothing sad about 1000's of posts shared between internet friends. Maybe sad for you.

Cool. Superman hair works well for Strange, and I bet they'll either use that or the new Superman hair for him. For Batman, did you erase parts of the print? It does make him look more natural; even the buffest guy in the world shouldn't be able to see his individual abs or ribs through a shirt.

Cool. Superman hair works well for Strange, and I bet they'll either use that or the new Superman hair for him. For Batman, did you erase parts of the print? It does make him look more natural; even the buffest guy in the world shouldn't be able to see his individual abs or ribs through a shirt.

Yeah, I erased some parts on Batman. Strange is actually purist minus the collar.

Non-Purist Batman Beyond

batman_beyond.jpg

The parts that are non-purist are the hips and the head. The head is just a plain black Lego head that has 2 strips of Lego-sticker-sheet-border cut and applied for the eyes and mouth. The hips had a tiny bit of printing removed.

970c55pb07.jpg

Non-Purist Batman Beyond

The parts that are non-purist are the hips and the head. The head is just a plain black Lego head that has 2 strips of Lego-sticker-sheet-border cut and applied for the eyes and mouth. The hips had a tiny bit of printing removed.

Awesome work! great job with the hips! What was the dog for though? Besides that its amazing. Im doing a couple DC superheroes tha tgo along with batman- so tell what you think! Edited by LuxorV
Please do not quote images from the same page. Thank you.