Sign in to follow this  
Nyundi

Modern Loft Apartment MOC

indexed.gif B-RV-2E

Hello everyone! This is the first MOC I've decided to share with the world (I've been lego-ing for near 20 years now, so it's taken a while). TBH, I never really had the capabilities to share; I now have a largish area to construct the way I really want to, and to take digital photos with reasonably good lighting.

Nevertheless, its not fantastic, and it's not my best, but I've been trolling around these forums for a while now, and thought it was time to share something of my own.

So without further ado, I present the modern loft apartment! (oh, and I'm in no way claiming any such fantastic designs herein as my own... I've been looking at MOCs online for at least five years, and it's more than possible that I've been influenced by, or have subconsciously retained, good designs)

This is the overall view of the apartment. On the right is the main living area (no TV here, too "cool" for that). To the bottom right is the open staircase leading to the loft bedroom, under which is the kitchen. The far lower right contains a bar.

1192327010_DISPLAY.jpg

This is close-up of our lucky resident... try and tell me YOU don't want to live in such a fancy place :)

1192327012_DISPLAY.jpg

An eye-level view of the apartment. The kitchen is in the background.

1192327014_DISPLAY.jpg

Here is a bedroom-level view of the living area. Not much privacy in this pad!

1192327016_DISPLAY.jpg

A close-up of the coffee table.

1192327021_DISPLAY.jpg

Whats that for dinner? Mmmmmm sushi!

1192327026_DISPLAY.jpg

The couch is a wedge shape (with three feet, two on the left, one on the right). The overstuffed colorful pillows offset the black leather seats and arms.

1192327031_DISPLAY.jpg

The record player and record cabinet. Both speakers are detachable (they are held up with tiny axle parts). I wonder what's playing right now?

1192327155_DISPLAY.jpg

The back of the record player. Looks like a wiring nightmare!

1192327157_DISPLAY.jpg

The bedroom view.

1192327159_DISPLAY.jpg

Another view of the bedroom.

1192327161_DISPLAY.jpg

The bed, with the sheet turned down.

1192327162_DISPLAY.jpg

Here's the kitchen... the lights are off to keep the mood (and to save a little green). Looks like someone hasn't cleaned up from preparing the sushi!

1192327164_DISPLAY.jpg

Another view of the kitchen. Those stainless steel islands are wonderful for food prep!

1192327238_DISPLAY.jpg

The end table, with indoor bamboo, and the record player remote.

1192327240_DISPLAY.jpg

A close-up of one of the lamps, and of course our resident's primary method of getting around throughout the busy city: the bike (and of course the awesome exposed brick walls).

1192327241_DISPLAY.jpg

The bar, looks like some interesting bottles need drinking!

1192327242_DISPLAY.jpg

Someone installed the "ever popular" glass brick wall... guess our current resident isn't much into home de-construction projects :/

1192327244_DISPLAY.jpg

A final view of the kitchen from the bottom of the stairs.

1192327245_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by Phred

This is great! Very detailed, and it looks like someone actually lives there. He's got a great sense of style. :-P

*y*

I *wub* your MOC, Nyundi. The details you have added is Grrrrrrreat. Definitly gives it that lived in feeling. Two *y* up. Awesome!!!

Model On!!

That is a really nice MOC you did there! Very cool details! And very good and sharp pics! What kind of camera do you have got?

-Aredhel

A very fine work with a lot of great details like that turntable (aah, vinyl records *wub* )

and sushi! Your furniture

Thanks everyone for the compliments! Glad everyone can enjoy it!

That is a really nice MOC you did there! Very cool details! And very good and sharp pics! What kind of camera do you have got?

-Aredhel

Actually the camera that I'm using is at least 2 years old... can't remember exactly when I bought it... anyway, it's a Sony Cybershot DSC-T1. If anyone remembers (at least in the states), it was the camera in that ridiculous commercial where four women are having lunch, and Steve Tyler walks by. They all scramble for their cameras, but only the one with this tiny camera with the slide down shutter manages to capture the shot.

Anyway, I bought the camera specifically for taking Lego shots, but only have just gotten around to it. The feature that sold me on it: it has an INCREDIBLE macro lens. When I was at the camera store (2+ years ago), I tried every macro lens on my finger, and this was the only camera under $500 that could pick out my entire fingerprint. :-D

Very nice house!

And I love your couch and the brickwall. *wub* The glass wall is cool too.

*wub* Magnificent!! Just want to see the facade of the department, it would give it a more realistic sense and it would be a finished work!! Nevertheless, it's great!! Congrats! *y*

That is one lucky dude. Your moc really does look like a modern apartment. The record player is really cool. (Although I mistaked it for a stereo system.) I'd like to see some of your better craetions.

That is a really cool creation. There aren't many people who build interiors (without exteriors) these days. Hinckley is one that I can think of. Any reason for this MOC or is it just for fun?

That is a really cool creation. There aren't many people who build interiors (without exteriors) these days. Hinckley is one that I can think of. Any reason for this MOC or is it just for fun?

Mostly just for fun, but a bit for practice... I've been toying with the idea of building a model of my loft, but thought I'd start with pieces that I had: hence this entirely fictitious one :)

Wow, thats fantastic! I love the bed/desk! (And that chair is quite inspiring!)

Outside of the creativity which is amazing there are a couple suggestions I would like to make for changes if I may...

Thanks for the good critiques! As far as the bedroom is concerned, I wasn't thrilled with the railing either, and I agree that there needs to be a little more going on up there (at least a dresser or closet or something).

Concerning the minifig scale, yeah, thats a problem that I glossed over but want to revisit. The island is way too tall, and the table is definitely not right.

The sink in the kitchen is another point I'm not thrilled about, and this is mostly due to a lack of inspiration more than anything! :-|

Perhaps one day I'll clean up this MOC and repost (but I think it's likely you'll just see more new things from me in the future!!).

Thanks for the good critiques! As far as the bedroom is concerned, I wasn't thrilled with the railing either, and I agree that there needs to be a little more going on up there (at least a dresser or closet or something).

Concerning the minifig scale, yeah, thats a problem that I glossed over but want to revisit. The island is way too tall, and the table is definitely not right.

The sink in the kitchen is another point I'm not thrilled about, and this is mostly due to a lack of inspiration more than anything! :-|

Perhaps one day I'll clean up this MOC and repost (but I think it's likely you'll just see more new things from me in the future!!).

Yes, building anything to mini-fig scale is odd, especially considering mini-figs are already at such an odd scale to humans. For example our head is not half the height of our legs... *wacko* That is the biggest problem I find when trying to build furniture too. I have a couple of suggestions for your current proportions...

1. replace the couch legs with 1x1 round plates or 2x2 round plates. They can still show the color, but will make the couch a low rider. I think the rest of the couch is cool with size, but just needs to rise only one or two plate-heights off of the ground.
  2. the end table 2x2 cone can be replaced by at 1x1 cone and the table surface can stay the same. Unfortunately the mini-figs remote is the same size as his torso... :-P
  3. The coffee table and island can achieve a similiar architectural effect using plates and 1x1 round plates...IMO anyway

Furniture is such a difficult thing to tackle because of the scale. You have a great grasp of it already, so it'll be interesting to see how you tackle the scale problems. I am certainly looking forward to it as your creativity seems boundless!! *wub*