BrickSash

[MOC] WIP LDD Macross SDF-1

Earlier this year a member of our local LUG posted a video of a MOC of the SDF-1. I was fascinated and took a closer look at the video to study the creation.

To my disappointment, quite a number of the parts were custom made or modified.

That inspired me to build my own SDF-1 without making use of modified or custom bricks.

I started in April, and this is the SDF-1 in its current state.

It's 150 studs long which is 1.20 meters. The brick count is around 9800, including the two ARMD carrier vessels and the stands.

I'm still trying to fix some areas, but ultimately, it's my goal to turn this beast into real bricks.

Facebook page

Lego%20SDF-1%20stand%202.png

Lego%20SDF-1%20perspective.pngLego%20SDF-1%20no%20ARMD.pngLego%20SDF-1%20perspective2.pngLego%20SDF-1%20rear.pngLego%20SDF-1%20front.pngLego%20SDF-1%20bottom%202.pngLego%20SDF-1%20top.pngLego%20SDF-1%20details2.png

Lego%20SDF-1%20details.png

Edited by BrickSash

Wow. That's a remarkable build. Out of curiosity, did you design it to transform? From personal experience, a MOC that size would require some robust joints. It's difficult enough on a medium sized mech, and a real challenge on a model that large. Gravity is a harsh mistress.

This would be most welcome over on the Macrossworld forums. There are a number of us, including myself, who've posted Macross LEGO builds, and I would invite you to share. www.macrossworld.com

Any plans to make the aircraft carrier arms (Daedelus Attack!) as alternate add-ons? Anyway, excellent work, and best of luck realizing this in real brick. That'll be one heck of a display piece.

Thanks M'Kyuun ! I'm a member of macrossworld and I've been posting my progress in the workshop section since April.

I was trying to integrate transformation at the beginning but then gave up on it. I just wasn't able to find a solution to some of the challenges I encountered.

So I just went ahead and concentrated on the cruiser mode. However, I'm planning to work on an "attack mode" version once I've completed this MOC.

Someone on Macrossworld was asking me for a "TV version conversion kit". The frame work is there, the changes wouldn't be that big, but just adding the aircraft carriers

would be less work. I'll definitely consider that. I guess that would make a lot of "TV version" fans happy.

Apologies for not knowing you were on MW. Chances are, I've seen it over there, probably even commented, but don't remember. I try to follow all the LEGO threads over there, but after awhile, I get them jumbled.

Anyway, transformation or no, your model is a thing of beauty. As for the Carrier arms, it's understandable that folks have requested them, since they were attached to the Macross throughout most of the original series once they folded into space, and featured prominently in the aforementioned Daedelus Attack episode.

Attack mode would be pretty cool if you can pull it off. Now all you need is a pin-point barrier, and a few mini VF-1s patrolling. :laugh: Pre-Pineapple Salad, though- it wouldn't be right without Roy leading Hikaru, Jenius, and Kakizaki into the fray. :thumbup:

Looks fantastic. I noticed that you decided to recreate the movie version complete with the ARMD space carriers. (The ones it was supposed to pick up in the original series but that were blasted to smithereens.) This version has more of a purpose look versus the cobbled together look of the original.

I look forward to your brick-built rendition. And with the transformation, while it would be amazing, beyond a certain size point things begin to become rather difficult.

Now all it needs are some gravity generators ripping through the hull.

3D LEGO

Thanks for the kind feedback !

This version has more of a purpose look versus the cobbled together look of the original.

I agree with you, the DYRL movie version is my favorite rendition. Not a huge fan of the TV series version, though it is the original.

Attack mode would be pretty cool if you can pull it off. Now all you need is a pin-point barrier, and a few mini VF-1s patrolling.

I was going to include Fokkers veritech in microscale, but it won't be in scale with the SDF-1 of course.

And with the transformation, while it would be amazing, beyond a certain size point things begin to become rather difficult.

That's true. I was more looking forward to integrate some nice lightning effects for the thrusters,

Now all it needs are some gravity generators ripping through the hull.

Haha yeah, that was major fail

Wow, this looks great!

Macross is my favorite anime and I've always thought there aren't nearly enough Macross MOCs.

That's just going to be HUGE!! But, am glad you are actually doing it in real bricks! Really can't wait for you to complete this!

That's just going to be HUGE!! But, am glad you are actually doing it in real bricks! Really can't wait for you to complete this!

Thanks, can't wait either. You're right, it is going to be huge.

IMG_2887.jpg

The lbg flat round tile is just a place holder, I'll replace it with tan or yellow eventually.

IMG_2900.jpg

It's been a while since I've updated my post here on Eurobricks. I'm still here and working on the SDF-1.

I'm hoping to finish this MOC by the end of the year, I'm still around 3000 bricks short.

I made some changes along the way, the most significant changes were made where the main hull connects to the

legs / thruster segment to support the weight. I'm happy that it turned out to be quite sturdy.

I had to replace 1-2 elements, who would have thought that dbg macaroni bricks cost 5$ a piece ?!

I wasn't going to spend 200$ for 40 pcs, so I went for dbg modified facet pieces as replacement.

Unfortunately there is a 100kb limit for attachments, and image linking doesn't seem to be working for me.

You can find more pictures on the FB page at https://www.facebook.com/legosuperdimensionalfortress/

14264068_1627936560832565_6544886993485277980_n.jpg

14448900_1627936584165896_9072027548517484518_n.jpg

14264068_1627936560832565_6544886993485277980_n.jpg.9517b77e1a7d6e6302c1b5a31bb0dca7.jpg

14448900_1627936584165896_9072027548517484518_n.thumb.jpg.d6abbe02629f518967abe0469fd76c3b.jpg

Edited by BrickSash