Sign in to follow this  
wwfmike

MOC - Cathedral

indexed.gif B-OV-5B

This is a church I've been working on for a long while. This folder is how it looks right now. If you look in my other folders, you can see what it looked like in the past.

2288172-213.jpg

Cathedral Folder When public

The altar is based very loosely on the altar of our local church. It was destroyed 49 years when they remodeled and they are getting one carved that is identical to the original.

2288212-c9e.jpg

Any ideas or improvements are always welcome.

Here are many more pics of things I have built - MySpace Folder

A wonderful work with a beautiful and very atmospherical interior! *y*

It shows an excellent improvement since your first version, impressive indeed.

And your other Town creations

Very good job indeed, expecially the inner atmosphere and the lateral chapelle *y* .

The only thing I don't like very much is the plain square absyd: maybe it could get some improvement with a galss-work in it.

Nice men-at-work pic, btw.

LuxorV

The lighting on the main altar shots (ie the one you posted in the thread) is amazing. The model is fantastic, but the atmosphere really adds an extra dimension to the overall work ;-)

Beautiful job wwfmike!!

Thanks for sharing your beautiful creation with us and welcome to Eurobricks! *sweet* *y*

What an excellent MOC you have there. I especially like your photography. It really does the building service. Nice job with the ceiling and I especially like the altar. The only suggestion I have and I say this almost every time I see this, is to replace the 1 x 2 x 4 fences...I just think they look too much like chain link. Perhaps you can use this piece in front of the pews, I think that would look great! And for the windows in the front maybe construct a stain glass window using 1 x 1 transparent plates...that is just my opinion :-$ Other than that, I really *wub* this MOC. It's amazing and I'm glad you shared it with us!

This is one of those MOCs so detailed and grand in scale that it looks like it should be a movie set. Absolutely love the detail and lighting. *y*

This is one of those MOCs so detailed and grand in scale that it looks like it should be a movie set. Absolutely love the detail and lighting. *y*

Actually, in my opinion, I thought it was huge at first from the teaser pic (with the clever reflection) and was pleased to see it is a good size, yet realistically producable by LEGO. I really like that it's not enormous. It makes the church seem more humble and warm... :-$

I've noticed more that I really like-the bells in the towers are beautiful. I have to ask, do you custom paint your pieces or use a process to achieve that silver effect? Or are palm tree sections available somewhere in silver? If so, where??

I've noticed more that I really like-the bells in the towers are beautiful. I have to ask, do you custom paint your pieces or use a process to achieve that silver effect? Or are palm tree sections available somewhere in silver? If so, where??

I thought about that too. I've only seen them in brown and grey...

Anyway, this is a great creation. Well done. *y*

Thanks everyone. Thanks for all the compliments and critiques.

The only thing I don't like very much is the plain square absyd: maybe it could get some improvement with a galss-work in it.

Which part?

The lighting on the main altar shots (ie the one you posted in the thread) is amazing.

Christmas lights and batteries!! X-D

Nice job with the ceiling...to replace the 1 x 2 x 4 fences...And for the windows in the front maybe construct a stain glass window using 1 x 1 transparent plates...

I didn't even think of using those types of fences! I'll switch them immediately. I've been looking into doing the stained glass windows but I've banned myself from Bricklink for a while. X-D I am also looking into turning the ceiling into a dome like the following pic, but in white:

2298599-8b0.JPG

The bells and the tabernacle on the altar are the only things that are painted. I used chrome silver spray paint a while back to paint the bells and a silver sharpie to paint the tabernacle. I used a lever handle for the bell banger thing.

2298525-e36.JPG

I eventually want to change the bells in the lower part of the steeple into something like this:

2298579-122.jpg

Again, thanks everyone and I'm glad you like it.

I eventually want to change the bells in the lower part of the steeple into something like this:

Again, thanks everyone and I'm glad you like it.

Here's a tip: once you unban yourself from bricklin :-D get the chrome silver belville buckets...

Edited by Hinckley

Actually, in my opinion, I thought it was huge at first from the teaser pic (with the clever reflection) and was pleased to see it is a good size, yet realistically producable by LEGO. I really like that it's not enormous. It makes the church seem more humble and warm... :-$

That's sort of what I meant. Movie sets often give the illusion of being larger than they are, but manage it within a confined space (or at least they did before computers took over). This is just an amazing work of lighting and perspective.

This is really great, thanks for sharing! *y*

Love the way you did the lighting, Christmas light are a good idea!

Is there going to be a little choir in this somewhere? *sing* :-P

Keep building!

Which part?

This one here:

100_6954.jpg

But now I see it may be impossible, or not very convenient, cause the altar is right against the wall, if I see it right...

LuxorV

But now I see it may be impossible, or not very convenient, cause the altar is right against the wall, if I see it right...

LuxorV

I'll have to look into that. I think I can put a window with the 1 x 1 translucent pieces and have it line up with the altar. In fact, I think it would look amazing with a light on the outside and seeing the 'stained glass' light up within the arches in the altar.

Edited by wwfmike

I'll have to look into that. I think I can put a window with the 1 x 1 translucent pieces and have it line up with the altar. In fact, I think it would look amazing with a light on the outside and seeing the 'stained glass' light up within the arches in the altar.

8-

Hey Mike this is an amzing cathedral and your atention to detail is stunning! I was actually thinking of making a church soon but I dont think it could be as good as this!

I see that inside you ran out of red chairs! ;-) Keep up the good work, where are you planning to get that bell from?

I made another modification. I made some areas for the pulpits. I think it takes it a step further into looking real.

2337974-3ab.JPG

2337975-c33.JPG

2337976-16a.JPG

where are you planning to get that bell from?

It's made up of 4 1x2 tiles, 1 small radar dish, a bowl. All in chrome gold. And then a few of those bricks that have studs on the top and all four sides to hold them all together.

Edited by wwfmike