Cjd223

Cavegod UCS AT-AT Instructions | "Walker Assault"

Nov. 2015 Initial Post:

Hello Eurobrickers! I have a great announcement for you guys, especially those who are interested in Cavegod's UCS AT-AT.

Over the past month or so, I have worked a countless number of hours in order to bring all of you guys something that this MOC deserved ever since its creation, a proper instruction manual. Yes, that's right, the famed issues of LDD will no longer be apart of this project thanks to this manual.

Now I'm sure you're wondering, how big is a 6000+ piece manual? Well, to answer that question, the manual is a massive 1,089 pages. No that is not a typo, ONE THOUSAND AND EIGHTY NINE PAGES!!!

A special thanks goes out to both Cavegod and drdavewatford. Cavegod designed a masterful MOC, one of the greatest ever, and drdavewatford was kind enough to allow me use of some of his photos throughout the manual. This could not be achieved without you guys! Enough of me talking, here are some images directly from the manual:

(Initial images removed for clarity on update)

Oct. 2020 Instructions Update:

Almost five years after its initial release, I'm thrilled to announce that the remastered instructions for Cavegod's AT-AT are complete! The instructions feature updates that make this build SO much easier and affordable. The most important things that are included in the updated instructions are:

• Redesigned Legs. These new legs have a technic interior and erase any issues that occurred with the original leg stability
  • Reinforced Body Frame. The handle is now incredibly sturdy and the technic structure that is housed within the body is significantly more sturdy
  • Cheaper Pieces. After several years it was time to swap out the expensive parts. The parts and MOC are now much more affordable.
  • Display Base. What MOC would be complete without a display base? I designed a large black display base that includes technic framing to snap in the feet, a much better alternative to the old method of tires within the feet. The base also features several snow-covered rocks to imitate a Hoth landscape

The MOC now consists of 8,935 pieces and measures:

• 34" long
  • 18" wide
  • 30" tall

The instructions are now reduced down to 550 pages. More information about getting the instructions and free access to the parts list can be found here

Pete and I are super pumped to be sharing the update with you, and I cannot understate how much better they've made the build experience and final MOC.

If you already own the instructions after getting them from me in the past, you should have received an email detailing how to obtain the updated instructions. If I missed you just shoot me a PM or contact me via email at alloutbrick@gmail.com and I'll get your upgrade over to you.

Here's some photos of the update:

50448474122_0836d0908a_k_d.jpg

50447587388_333b8836ed_k_d.jpg

50448284336_b3dec72fb0_k_d.jpg

50448284251_213fc30ddd_k_d.jpg

50448297886_6b2508b89f_k_d.jpg

50448475362_ad503cec1d_k_d.jpg

Edited by Cjd223
Reflect changes to MOC made in 2020

WOW! That is an impressive amount of dedication to such a task—congratulations!

I have a couple of questions:

- Is this based off his most recent version?

- What specific program did you used to accomplish this awesome work!?

WOW! That is an impressive amount of dedication to such a task—congratulations!

I have a couple of questions:

- Is this based off his most recent version?

- What specific program did you used to accomplish this awesome work!?

To answer your questions, I made the manual based on the files I received in November 2014. And to make it I used both MLCad and LPub

Can i assume it will cost around 10 cents per peice for this or will range higher.

Is the 35 dollar cost for the manual a digital download. Or is it a physical manual already printed

Dear lanesteele240,

The price for this model will surely be at least 10 cents per piece, unless you have a large collection to start with. As for the manual it is for a digital download, although I wish it could be a physical copy. Just imagine the weight of a 1000 page lego manual :look:

Edited by Cjd223

Interesting because I do not want to use LDD and prefer a real building instruction.

However, is there also a file listing the parts ?

Amazing MOC, amazing dedication in developing the manual - congratulations. One day I will take the plunge....

Interesting because I do not want to use LDD and prefer a real building instruction.

However, is there also a file listing the parts ?

The parts list, LDD files, etc are all still property of Cacegod so I would contact him if you want the parts list

I suppose that the building instruction displays the inventory of the parts at the end : so, the parts list file gives the same information in a directy usable form if we want to buy the parts via bricklink :classic: .

For a MOC, I can hardly imagine that the building instruction is provided without such a parts file : I found particularly boring to have to write such a file by myself part by part when I know that you could get it into a few seconds from your MLCAD file using LDview :sceptic: . May I suggest that you ask Cavegod to allow you to generate this file :wink: ?

Because, from my point of view, without this file, your building instruction looks clearly less interesting.

I suppose that the building instruction displays the inventory of the parts at the end : so, the parts list file gives the same information in a directy usable form if we want to buy the parts via bricklink :classic: .

For a MOC, I can hardly imagine that the building instruction is provided without such a parts file : I found particularly boring to have to write such a file by myself part by part when I know that you could get it into a few seconds from your MLCAD file using LDview :sceptic: . May I suggest that you ask Cavegod to allow you to generate this file :wink: ?

Because, from my point of view, without this file, your building instruction looks clearly less interesting.

The reason for that is because if the instructions did contain a parts list, then Cavegod's files and spreadsheet would not be of much use anymore and as the designer, that would not be fair to him if I replaced all of his files and spreadsheets

But, you have already partly done that. All it would take is for one person to buy the instructions and page by page, list the pieces in a spreadsheet that are required under instruction, then simply spam all pieces in an ldd file (not required to be positioned correctly and there it is. You are now effectively in competition with CG for customers interested in his moc. They can either go to him, or you, no need for both.

I dont want to take anything away from the effort of having made instructions, i applaud you for having taken the time to do so, it would just be a shame to see people (cant think of the right word) abuse the potential...

Maybe ask Anio how Anio and Frousmaul (i think thats his name) arrange it? Frousmaul makes the instructions of Anios mocs frequently.

Edited by Fuppylodders

But, you have already partly done that. All it would take is for one person to buy the instructions and page by page, list the pieces in a spreadsheet that are required under instruction, then simply spam all pieces in an ldd file (not required to be positioned correctly and there it is. You are now effectively in competition with CG for customers interested in his moc. They can either go to him, or you, no need for both.

I dont want to take anything away from the effort of having made instructions, i applaud you for having taken the time to do so, it would just be a shame to see people (cant think of the right word) abuse the potential...

Maybe ask Anio how Anio and Frousmaul (i think thats his name) arrange it? Frousmaul makes the instructions of Anios mocs frequently.

OP made a post in another topic in which he clearly asked Pete (aka Cavegod) for permission to make this instruction booklet.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114944&st=25

OP made a post in another topic in which he clearly asked Pete (aka Cavegod) for permission to make this instruction booklet.

http://www.eurobrick...ic=114944&st=25

I know this.

There is a difference between having permission to make an instruction booklet, and then becoming a 'competitor' for the sales of the ability to make the model. Pete sells the LDD file. cjd sells the instructions. Both are not needed, maybe this wasn't thoroughly thought out, or maybe Pete doesn't care anymore whether he gets money from each sale of the ability to make his own UCS AT-AT... but I do not know this as it hasn't been clearly stated, and therefore, I am simply making the situation apparent, especially as cjd himself has stated that he does not want to make all of CGs files irrelevant as it would not be fair to him... to which, by making the instructions, he pretty much has (to anyone that will put a little bit of extra effort in).

So this has no parts list? It is pointless unless you also get a list of parts required. Your instruction book is of interest because it costs a third of what Cavegod charges for his LDD files.

So this has no parts list? It is pointless unless you also get a list of parts required. Your instruction book is of interest because it costs a third of what Cavegod charges for his LDD files.

Yet you miss the fact that by building it in LDD (or randomly placing the parts) you have the parts list through the instructions...

This is impressive to say the least.. I appreciate the detail in my 2014 model but this takes it to another level i haven't seen.

The reason for that is because if the instructions did contain a parts list, then Cavegod's files and spreadsheet would not be of much use anymore and as the designer, that would not be fair to him if I replaced all of his files and spreadsheets

OK, I understand your point of view. But, this means that somebody who wants a good building instruction and only the parts list file will have to pay for your file and the ones of Cavegod :sceptic: . Honestly, I do not consider that this is a good deal.

I downloaded these instructions yesterday. Very good and I do recommend. Although 1000+ pages some pages just involve 2 or 3 parts. Other than some technic parts it is relatively easy to identify the parts needed in each step.

I downloaded these instructions yesterday. Very good and I do recommend. Although 1000+ pages some pages just involve 2 or 3 parts. Other than some technic parts it is relatively easy to identify the parts needed in each step.

Hi. I have ordered all the parts needed to built this model a year ago. You seem (so far) to be the only on commenting on the quality of those instructions. Have you started building the at-at with those instructions? Do the instructions really help? I must admit I haven't even started building this great model using the ldd files alone...I was expecting some instructions to come out!

Two questions:

1-Roughly how much would this cost from scratch, and

2-This is minifig scale, right?

Two questions:

1-Roughly how much would this cost from scratch, and

2-This is minifig scale, right?

slightly bigger than minifig scale, and bucket loads ;p